And So It Begins...ados Victories

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Southernbella., May 25, 2019.

1. Laela

Laela In Mela Nation, SMH

Blog Posts:
    I stand corrected.

2. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The fellowship I got didn't require proof in the same way race-based scholarships don't require proof.

Kurlee likes this.
  3. Black Ambrosia

Black Ambrosia Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Wouldn't this apply to anything significant that white people don't want us to have? My issue with the point you're making is that it effectively means that black people never push for things that are important for fear of what "they" will do. This feels like a way to get black people to stay in their place. How would you suggest black people who are for reparations proceed?

I don't recall reading any posts with any bias or angst against immigrants. What do you mean?

4. Southernbella.

Southernbella. Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    So I went ahead and started an application just to see and the form asks "Do you identify as ADOS?"

There may be a verification process after the application is submitted but I obviously didn't go that far.

5. Theresamonet

Theresamonet Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is what I wanted to say in the first place, before I got sidetracked by the weird immigrant/white people comments...

I don’t know where I’d begin to prove my slave ancestry. It seems it might be a simple thing for black folks who have been in the same area for generations and have one family name. But I don’t know where or who I’d be searching for. I think they should go by who has identified as African American (or equivalent) for at least 3 generations, and not make us dig up our slave relatives. It’s been too long.

brg240, Kurlee, qchelle and 5 others like this.
  6. Southernbella.

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    You wouldn't have to dig up proof on your own. If reparations become a real thing on a large scale, I can almost guarantee there will be professional genealogists on board who know how to find that info.

But really, if you are black and have a relative who lived here pre-1950, you are almost certainly ADOS (or descended from free people of color, but that's less common and they still count anyway). There was a quota on black immigration to the tune of 1000 per year until 1965. Of the, say, 18 million black folks in this country in 1965, probably less than 500,000 of them were immigrants.

Also, unfortunately, the fact that we tend not to know much about our lineage is further evidence that we're ADOS.

Eta: And I would donate my weekends for free for however long it took to help with this.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. Southernbella.

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Faith based initiative but also backdoor stuff related to the black vote. I remember George W Bush courting a large group of black pastors who were more than happy to sit up in the white house and push his agenda in the pulpit.

8. Evolving78

Evolving78 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Is that what we are going back to? Showing papers?

Laela and Kurlee like this.
  9. meka72

meka72 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    We definitely agree on this then. I remember exactly what/who you’re talking about.

To be clear, I don’t necessarily have an issue with the scholarship or even designating opportunities for black descendants of US slaves.

Southernbella. likes this.
  10. nubiangoddess3

nubiangoddess3 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Sorry but I've been listening to Yvette for 3 years and she definitely doesn't push a pro-Trump, anti-immigrant agenda.

She went through Trump tax cut and showed how it was horrible for ADOS. I feel the ADOS moment is a political education, which every black person needs. This

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  11. nubiangoddess3

Blog Posts:
    You cant divide what's already divided. Black ppl vote for democrats year after year and what policy have these democrats enacted on behalf of Black pppl?

If ppl are waking up to to the nonsense then good. The Democratic like any party needs to earn the vote and be held accountable. Scare tactics aren't going to work.

12. nubiangoddess3

Blog Posts:

Black ppl voting in unity has gotten what exactly???

13. nubiangoddess3

Blog Posts:

I'm African, and I'm all for the ADOS moment.

We can all be black, but we all have different claims. Let Haitian file their claims against the French, Congo file their claim against the Belgium and so on.

I honestly don't see the problem or how anyone has a problem with ppl getting their rightful reparations.

14. Brwnbeauti

Brwnbeauti Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Is there any evidence of unity among black people that has benefited AAs? Serious question.

IslandMummy likes this.
  15. Laela

Blog Posts:
    Did you read any of my posts???

16. Crackers Phinn

Crackers Phinn Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Blog Posts:
    Using your drivers license is "showing papers".
    Using your our social security card is "showing papers".
    Using your our credit card is "showing papers".

sharentu likes this.
  17. nubiangoddess3

Blog Posts:

I read all your post. You stated that white ppl are trying to use the movement to divide black ppl. Sorry, but If non AAs stood in solidarity with ADOS, there wouldn't be a chance of white ppl to use them. But instead, black ppl are allowing themselves to be used by white ppl. The problems lie with other black ppl not the ADOS movement.

Also as someone already stated, when ADOS get their reparations it will set a precedent for other black ppl claims for reparations for slavery and colonialism

18. Evolving78

Evolving78 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Yes I understand that. Those numbers explain demographic information, spending habits, amongst other forms of data that is collected. I’m talking about having to show papers that you are a slave descendant. Maybe it’s the conspiracy theorist in me, but I find that troubling, just like ancestry and dna testing. I believe people keep volunteering information away that will be used against them later.

Laela likes this.
  19. Laela

Blog Posts:
    Actually @bolded, I think the opposite would be true.. whites would find a way to benefit from ADOS whether nonAAs stood in solidarity or not. Are you saying you agree with Ann Coulter that white indentured servants should also benefit from ADOS?

20. Ms. Tarabotti

Ms. Tarabotti Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Be careful who you get into bed with.

Make sure that you know all the players in the game and their agendas.

brg240, urbanchic, Tulips4u and 7 others like this.
  21. Crackers Phinn

Blog Posts:
    Yvette takes the Fox News approach to Trump. She starts out with what seems like a criticism of Trump that usually ends in a rant about Obama and Democrats.

There aren’t many things I like more than checks so I went into listening to more of that woman than was good for my stomach. I keep telling folks that black folks need to go into sales en mass because it’s lucrative but also because you learn to recognize when someone is selling you something under the guise of teamwork. Yvette and Antonio are selling the idea of reparations. The delivery of reparations falls on a very specific and highly unrealistic chain of events but you know keep hope alive....but not the Obama hope. Their money train depends on folks like Trump and Pence continuing to be elected because that’s a guaranteed “never” on reparations.

When you take people at their word you get Rachel Dolezal as president of a NAACP chapter.

It doesn’t really matter though. I honestly think the scholarship is a sham. Either nobody will qualify and there will be $300k of unused funds just sitting around unnoticed or the recipients will be somehow connected to the founders.

thickness, brg240, Peppermynt and 4 others like this.
  22. Reinventing21

Reinventing21 Spreading my wings

Blog Posts:
    There is the clause though that says you have to have identified as AA for 10 years.

23. Crackers Phinn

Blog Posts:
    Rachel Dolezal has identified as black for at least 10 years. There’s an internet full of proof that she has. I think the last thing I filled out that specified African American only was the census and I don’t have a copy of it so Rachel D. could prove herself AA quicker than I could.

naptime likes this.
  24. discodumpling

discodumpling Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My Antiguan self discovered that many slaves were sent back & forth between the Caribbean plantations and America. Some planters were wealthy like that. With plantations in different locations, some travelled with their favorite slaves. Some transferred slaves for many other reasons. Stealing a slave. Punishing a slave. Educating a slave. etc. I have traced my blood (faintly) to North & South Carolina and Mississippi!
    All that to say...who gon check me boo. My blood been here; in and out of bondage. Run me my $$. #ADOS

25. Southernbella.

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    It's kind of a foregone conclusion that, much like everything else designed to help minorities, some wypipo are gonna find a way to get in on it. The sooner folks acknowledge that, the sooner these inane debates and derailments can stop. Like, we know how white folks operate. We've been dealing with them for half a millennium. Let's move on.

26. Crackers Phinn

Blog Posts:
    The "right" sweet nothing whispered into the ear of deprived will have the masses pissing fire before they even think to ask any questions.

I constantly forget that I need to let them burn in peace.

27. Reinventing21

Reinventing21 Spreading my wings

Blog Posts:
    True, but it is not a stand alone clause. I was just pointing out that requirement ks in addition to proving a blood ancestor, but as @discodumpling illustrated, tbe process is not truly straightforward. Her example couldnplausibly work in reverse where a person' s bloodline ends up in the Caribbean etc.

It is unfortunate that something so seemingly easy could get so complicated. However, in spite of those that fall in or out, I think the majority of those that should get it would find a way to qualify.

Laela and Evolving78 like this.
  28. yamilee21

yamilee21 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Good point... what about the descendants of enslaved persons who went to Liberia? Or the ones who escaped to Nova Scotia? There were many in the United States, including Lincoln, who believed formerly enslaved people should be repatriated to other lands; for example, quite a few ended up in Haiti (though not all stayed). And I would think that a whole lot of descendants of people who passed would suddenly become very proud of proclaiming their long-erased African ancestry. I have no issue with anything being set aside specifically for those whose ancestors were enslaved in the United States but the actual proof of who would be deserving looks as if it could easily become a logistical nightmare. Other than a few scholarships though, I am very pessimistic about reparations becoming a reality for any people of African ancestry anywhere - the hatred against us is still so strong. CARICOM has had a committee working on the issue of reparations for five years, and the rest of the world - particularly the European nations most responsible for slavery - have utterly ignored the issue.

SlimPickinz, discodumpling and Laela like this.
  29. Southernbella.

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    It wouldn't be a logistical nightmare. It's actually pretty straightforward.

30. discodumpling

discodumpling Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The issue of reparations makes my head spin? How? Who? When? What? I just can't wrap my mind around how it could be handled!
    Reparations is a hot topic throughout the diaspora. The idea that it could become a reality is scary to the (current) powers that be. Talk about a game changer! In all seriousness, I know the process will move so slowly during my lifetime but I hope my children and their progeny will benefit.