Annual $$$ Spent on Hair Products

Seamonster

My first 3 months on LHCF I spent $6,000 :thud:, this included french rollers, a flat iron, seamless combs, mason pearson brush, curlformers, and tabletop hard hair dryer. My second year, I spent $100, as I only bought product.

As soon as I get through some more of these products I am going to do an annual budget of $200. I can easily do my hair for $100 per year, but I want a Pibbs.

SimJam

It seems I need to redo my calculation. I am obviously doing something wrong.

At first I thought your calculations were off. But u said u do ur hair almost every day.

What I did was try to use one set of products consistently for 1 month so I could get a realistic estimation of how long each product lasts me (I do my hair once a week) so I know how much of one product to get to last for a year or half a year.

I've found also that my hair needs less and less product the healthier it is :yep:

I say all of that to say that I spend much more on hair products for the year than what I can realistically use within the year.:lol:

I would like to cut down to maybe 200-250

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Each Year I tend to spend a bit 'less' (more some months than others). Hopefully, it will continue to steadily decrease each year.

I've also tried to eliminate most 8 ounce and focus on companies that offer 12+ ounces

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Seamonster Is that supposed to say $6K? Or, is that a typo and you meant $600.00? I'm curious because I'm a "Hair Tool Junkie" and I want to know what else you bought that added up to $6K.

Seamonster

it is $6K, I haven't had to buy products in over two years. Never got around to getting a pibbs. If you look into last years stash reducing challenge you can have an idea of what I have.

I also bought a maxi glide, a flat iron, hooded dryer, french rollers, curl formers. Have over a hundred herbs. Maybe twenty oils. All my combs and brushes are Mason Pearson (One brush might have cost around $200). 10 silk scarves, four wigs, two satin pillow cases, and five bonnets. Tried all the prenatal vitamins. I am finishing my last container of Raw prenatal vitamins. They cost about a hundred for a three month supply. Includes $100 per month for bikram yoga, paid for two years in advance.

Everything by Qhemet, Silk Dreams, Komaza, Claudie's, Curl Junkie, Kbb, Bask, Haritage Hydration, HE, Mountain Rose, Ayurvedic stuff. What ever I wanted I got it. Only thing I am missing is my pipps. Didn't want a steamer, just can't see it.
I spend less than a hundred now. Probably would be down to $25, but I use emu oil for my oil infusions.

When I reach full BSL I am going to reward myself, thinking bone comb hair jewelry. If I ever reach HL I am building myself a in bathroom salon complete with chair wash bowl, sauna, and of course that pipps?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
When I reach full BSL I am going to reward myself, thinking bone comb hair jewelry. If I ever reach HL I am building myself a in bathroom salon complete with chair wash bowl, sauna, and of course that pipps?

Seamonster I have hair stash envy, if there's such a thing. How far are you from full BSL?
When you make it to your ultimate goal and set up your in home salon, you'll have to post pics, so I can drool. I nearly died when I saw taz007 hair room in another thread.

If you get a wash bowl, sauna etc., and post pics I'll probably pass out from looking at the hair "eye candy."

LightEyedMami

I say about $250 a year (thats including my vitamins), HOWEVER thats EXCLUDING my virgin hair and closures which would bring up my total to about $900-$1000 a year :look:

Angelinhell

I just randomly buy stuff now, so I couldn't say just how much I spend. I'm thinking about transitioning, so I've calculated the price of the products I will need. That total is a like $95, the products should last 8 or 9 months.

Ogoma

My regimen has evolved and my hair product needs has changed with it. I spent about $400 on hair products and accessories during holiday sales and those products will last me for 6-9 months. I think, including having extension braids done, I will spend between $600-$800 for the whole year so less than half of what I predicted.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Girl Yes! That sounds about right to me.

I order about $100 worth of prods online every quarter. And I buy grocery/health food store items in between. Gels, vitamins, oils, etc.

And I spend about $150 a year on wigs.

I did cut my budget significantly once I grew my hair longer (thanks LHCF!) so I no longer buy virgin hair for weaves. Which was about $500 a year plus installs. WOWUH!

I look at it this way, my hair is an investment. i save money to make sure i am responsible in other ways And i donate to charity. So as long as I'm not getting kicked out of my house for my hair, I'm doing good. Lol :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
LOL I stopped counting! I enjoy buying hair and skin products so It doesn't bother me as long as I can pay my bills, eat well and have money in the bank! :yay:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Since I have all the styling tools I need and have stabilized my regimen, I spend no more than $175 annually. Some years as little as $100. I stock up on products every 6 months- 1 year. Use them up, then restock or stock up on something new. I buy in bulk and try to wait for sales.

eta: As of Oct 2014, I spend about $200-250 annually. I still buy in bulk from wholesalers.

Last edited:

mg1979

For the past few years I have kept a spreadsheet of All the products, vendors, prices, shipping times and personal comments to keep track of likes and dislikes. This is how I came to realize all of the ingredients, products I love and conversely hate. For those with strict budgets this can help keep your spending in order and for those still figuring out likes and dislikes, this can aid in narrowing the scope.

I have been doing a spreadsheet very similar to this. First it was to help me realize how much I was spending and making sure I used my stash. Then I realized it was helpful to track how I felt about a product, because sometimes I would end up buying a product again not remembering if I liked it the first time only to find out I didn't like it. It really works well for me and I think everyone willing to be an LHCF member should do this.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I spent close to $1500 in 2012 on hair products and tools/equipment. Investments well worth the price. I'm sitting under my Pibbs Kwik Dri right now with Aphohee 2-step in my hair. Normally I am dripping this stuff for a good 20 minutes with my other dryer but with this one, the treatment started to dry almost immediately. I know I spend over $250 annually because I always qualify for Ulta's Platinum Membership and that's just one store. I have all my staples and must have tools/equipment now (need a quality hair dryer) so I will spend just enough to maintain my platinum status at Ulta which will include beauty and skin care.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

nemi95

I probably spend $250 a yr. That's a lot less considering I used to go to the salon every 2 weeks and pay $80 each time.

Misseyl

I don't spend nearly that much on hair products. My most expensive product is Phytorelaxer Index I which usually runs $60 a box.

Relaxer - Phytorelaxer Index I $60
Hair conditioner - $4.49 per bottle
Deep Conditioner- 19.99 per tub
Shampoo - $4.49 per bottle
Moisturizer - $4.49 per bottle
Protein Treatment - $11.99
Leave-in - $10.00
Coconut Oil - $2.00

I spend a lot of money on conditioners. I try to use them all, especially the ones in
marketed to Spanish speaking customers. I've notice that those products leave my hair manageable. The ones marketed to African hair does not do much for my hair type.

CodeRed

I spend about $700 -$750 (rounded up) annually on all things related to hair that I have, which include vitamins, natural ingredients (even if I use them for other things like food or overall health), conditioners and salon visits. If I were to only include ready made products and salon visits, it would be around $400. I like experimenting with multipurpose ingredients though.

Last edited:

CodeRed

I spend about $700 -$750 (rounded up) annually on all things related to hair that I have, which include vitamins, natural ingredients (even if I use them for other things like food or overall health), conditioners and salon visits. If I were to only include ready made products and salon visits, it would be around $400. I like experimenting with multipurpose ingredients though.

I've gotten this down to around $150 - $250 a year since I've started doing my own relaxers. Happy times... It would be less than that if I only used the cheap conditioners that work for me but I know that I'm going to still experiment with conditioners/ingredients so I'm leaving room for that.

Angelbean

I do not keep track however I shop sales for online vendors and usually use coupons for local stores...

JudithO

Hmmm....

I spend $40 every month to pay a college student to do my 2 strand twists = $400

Shampoo: I use Kenra Clarifying shampoo weekly. I get the 1/2 liter from ebay for $65

Conditioner: I make my own DC - buy most of my ingredients from Lotion crafter - Maybe $300 a year

Leave in: Anything on sale - estimate $40

Sealant: I try to us a ceramide oil... Grapseed oil from TJ $10

Moisturizer: SSI Tahitian Vanilla Spray ($60 from Black Friday sale, SM Curl Smoothie $30)

Total = $915 AND I already have all all my seamless combs and stuff...

I want to buy curlformers too... Damn.. I can't get it cheaper than this.

Anaisin

Bump :)

I only buy stuff on sale and don't keep track. Probably spent anywhere from $600-$700 in 2013-present.

If my favorite products online store opens back up, it'll be about $150 a year. That's great compared to $45 for a wash, blow dry, flat iron I used to get at the salon every 2 weeks. And if my regular stylist wasn't there I would go to the other lady who charged $65 for the same thing. That was $1000-$1500 a year