Another Phytorelaxer review (longish)

Honi

There is no board.
Yep. Yet another Phyto review.

Before I begin I feel that I must say thank you Sherrylove for putting this product on my radar. Second of course is Kaddy who kept putting the phyto bug in everyones ear.

Now….I think I should mention the list of products I used prior to using phyto for comparison.

French perm – this was the FIRST relaxer used on my hair at about age 9.
Fabulaxer
Textures and Tones – left my hair terribly underprocessed.
Dark N' Lovely – this stuff was taking folks hair out when it first came on the market.
Motions – this was the last relaxer I used.
Soft N' Beautiful
Design Essentials
African pride – burned the bejesus outta me.
Just for me
Optimum
Gentle treatment
Designer touch
Precise
Raveen
PCJ
TCB
Cream of Nature
Vitale – I was thinking about going back to this one. I remember I liked this one awhile back and I don't know why I switched.

Now for the review.

2 days before I touched up I had CO washed to make sure that my roots were supple enough to break ground. I had a lot of newgrowth (over an inch in some places, less in other spots).

When I looked at the contents of part one (the base) it didn't look like there would be enough for my hair but after I mixed the two parts together there was more than enough.

The consistency of part A was very plasticky, thick like. So instead of pouring the entire contents of part B in and attempting to mix it thoroughly I incorporated the solution bit by bit, then mixed and repeated this process until it was all in there. I did this to ensure that it was even and smooth. The end result was a smooth, creamy mixture, somewhat thinner with a yellowish tint. I then put this aside and let it "rest" for about 5 minutes as per the instructins while I based my scalp with their oil. I also mixed a little neutralizing shampoo with some cholesterol and coated my ends and some of the length with it.

I separated my hair into 4 sections and started on the left side (I usually alternate the side I start with). First thing I noticed was that there was no strong relaxer smell. Application went on smoothly. I noticed that compared to the above relaxers that this was indeed thinner than most boxed relaxers. My hair looked like it soaked it up. There was also no burning, tingling, itching or anything and I accidentally scratched the center of my head a couple of hours before.

I then proceeded to go over each section smoothing with my fingers. Total time from start to finish was about 20 minutes.

Rinse

I hopped in the shower and began the rinse out phase. For those that self relax do you notice that when your rinsing out the relaxer how stiff and flat your hair is???? You can hardly get your fingers thru. With Phyto it felt like I was rinsing out conditioner. It was soft and I could separate the strands near my scalp. In other words, my hair FELT LESS compromised compared to the others. I rinsed for a very long time making sure there were no traces left.

Neutralizing

I applied their neutralizing shampoo and began sudsing. I noticed that my fingers went thru my hair very easily but those suds were BRIGHT PINK :shocked:! I was like whoa…I may just have to use the whole bottle of neutralizing shampoo. I worked this thru, rinsed and shampooed a second time. The color intensity was about half. I rinsed and applied a third application (it was still pink) and let that sit for about 3-4 minutes to ensure that the cortex was neutralized. Rinsed and applied a fourth. Suds were white.

I followed up with Keracare's hydrating detangling shampoo and detangled my hair under the shower stream.

Reconstructor

I skipped Phyto's milky reconstructor due to complaints of tangly hair. I certainly do not want that so I opted for AO GPB (gawd how I love this stuff). I let this marinate under the dryer for 10 minutes. I followed up with Kenra MC and let it sit for another 10.

Drying

I was in a bit of a rush to go out so I blew it out 80% dry. My hair looks fabulous!!!! It has so much body, shin, softness, fullness and thickness to it. The whole length too and I don't know why. My hair is not plastered to my head and it doesn't look like I had a touchup but it's still straight (I don't know if that makes any sense).

As Sherrylove once said this is the holy grail of relaxers. I give this a 5 star rating. I will never use anything else ever, ever, ever again! :woot::clap:

Pictures to soon come. My dog chewed up my camera cable. That beyotch! :mad:

Now if you will excuse me I am off to hoard every box of Index 1 on God's green earth. :user:

Nice

I am happy that you had a good experience :) . I can't wait to see the pictures. I am also 4a/4b and would love to see how the Inex 1 works :p

L

lkg4healthyhair

Glad it worked for you...I used Index 1 on Saturday and loved it also. I took it to my hairstylist (20 min total) and used the milk conditioner (10 mins) and my hair was not tangled at all.

My hair is so soft and silky I love it...when I get some $ I will buy 3 more for the rest of the year. :D .

You can see the results using Index 1 in my avatar picture...

Honi

There is no board.
lkg4healthyhair, your hair looks very full thick and shiny. I'm glad you like it too.

My mom loves it also! LOL

I was scared about the milky reconstructor. Knowing my luck I probably would get tangles. Next time I will test it out on a section before applying all over my head and see what happens.

It's definitely a keeper.

MonaLisa

Honi said:
:lol: That was funny

;) .....I'm slowly recovering from my bitter Phytouser state...I had to have therapy to learn to keep my mouth shut. My poor product has taken quite a beating of late. Was just nice to hear something positive about it again.

*flying out of thread*

L

lkg4healthyhair

Honi said:
lkg4healthyhair, your hair looks very full thick and shiny. I'm glad you like it too.

My mom loves it also! LOL

I was scared about the milky reconstructor. Knowing my luck I probably would get tangles. Next time I will test it out on a section before applying all over my head and see what happens.

It's definitely a keeper.

Thanks...definitely a keeper :)

L

lkg4healthyhair

Nice said:
Oh man...you guys are really make me want to try the Index 1.

My hair is very fine and it worked for me the way I like it. I went to the gym today and its still straight in the roots but with a little texture. Index 1 says its for fine/delicate hair and that's me all the way.... :)

Nice

lkg4healthyhair said:
My hair is very fine and it worked for me the way I like it. I went to the gym today and its still straight in the roots but with a little texture. Index 1 says its for fine/delicate hair and that's me all the way.... :)

I definitely have fine hair. My roots come in so tight though :ohwell: . I am just apprehensive but I think that I may give it a try.

MonaLisa

Nice said:
I definitely have fine hair. My roots come in so tight though :ohwell: . I am just apprehensive but I think that I may give it a try.

Nice, why don't you go ahead and give Index 1 a try? I don't think you'll experience any adverse effects, it's the same line...and then your mind will be settled as to which index suits your hair needs.

Nice

MonaLisa said:
Nice, why don't you go ahead and give Index 1 a try? I don't think you'll experience any adverse effects, it's the same line...and then your mind will be settled as to which index suits your hair needs.

LOL Mona....you must be sick of me going back and forth with Index 1 or Index 2. Just to give you guys a heads up, I have 2 boxes of Index 2 at home, so if I like the Index 1, the index 2 maybe up for sale :) .

MonaLisa

Nice said:
LOL Mona....you must be sick of me going back and forth with Index 1 or Index 2. Just to give you guys a heads up, I have 2 boxes of Index 2 at home, so if I like the Index 1, the index 2 maybe up for sale :) .

Girl...it's your hair...so of course we go through quandry's...u just wanna do the right thing...but I'm thinking since it's in the same family...it shouldn't do any damage...and you'll know for sure because u would've tried both.

And awwwwwwwwwwww shucky ducky quack quack on the 2 boxes...

*Mo is sensing a LHCF discount...*:look:

sengschick

The Bun Master
I'm happy you enjoyed the results Honi! Consider trying it w/the Milky Reconstructor just once. I rinse it then go back in w/another poo and another conditioner, so I've never had issues w/the tangling. I think the two products just work really well in conjunction w/each other you get a higher level of softness to me esp around day 2-3.

Nice

MonaLisa said:
Girl...it's your hair...so of course we go through quandry's...u just wanna do the right thing...but I'm thinking since it's in the same family...it shouldn't do any damage...and you'll know for sure because u would've tried both.

And awwwwwwwwwwww shucky ducky quack quack on the 2 boxes...

*Mo is sensing a LHCF discount...*:look:

:lol: I will let you know girl!!!!!!

UmSumayyah

My boxes of index 2 are jumping up and down screaming right about now...
but I must wait.

Must... hold on... six more days...

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Is it a good idea to try the phytorelaxer all over the length of the hair and not just the new grwoth if my hair is under or overprocessed:confused: ?

Last edited:

SherryLove

Hey babygurl (Ms Honi)....

i am so so pleased that you like the phytorelaxer and that it worked out for you....!!!!!!!!!Now you hurry up and get another cable for that camera (and keep it out of that dog's reach) and gets some pics posted... I cannot wait to see how beautiful your hair looks....!!!!!!!!!

azul11

This is really encouraging. I havent used as many brands of relaxers as you have but I have used several that have left me disappointed. The Phyto stories and praises intrigued me because so many of the people who raved about it were the same who had similar problems to some of the same relaxers and we all had the same end goal in mind. I plan to go to a salon to get it done. I will make sure I will read the directions first before I get to the salon and read it to her to remind her of what should be done.

Do you think the reconstructor is not worth using? Will the results be as good? God bless you all.

Nice

vikkisecret said:
Is it a good idea to try the phytorelaxer all over the length of the hair and not just the new grwoth if my hair is under or overprocessed:confused: ?

The relaxer should not be applied to the lenght of your hair. You should only apply the relaxer to you new growth for touch-ups.

I know of ppl that do corrective relaxers when they have underprocessed hair so maybe they can chime in.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Nice said:
The relaxer should not be applied to the lenght of your hair. You should only apply the relaxer to you new growth for touch-ups.

I know of ppl that do corrective relaxers when they have underprocessed hair so maybe they can chime in.

Thanx nice :). I think I need to do a corrective because the texture of my hair gets dry awhile after I applying product to it. I get tangles and so forth. I can't tell it's uner or overprocessed. Does anyone know the tale-tale signs of either one??:(

Honi

There is no board.
azul11 said:
This is really encouraging. I havent used as many brands of relaxers as you have but I have used several that have left me disappointed. The Phyto stories and praises intrigued me because so many of the people who raved about it were the same who had similar problems to some of the same relaxers and we all had the same end goal in mind. I plan to go to a salon to get it done. I will make sure I will read the directions first before I get to the salon and read it to her to remind her of what should be done.

Do you think the reconstructor is not worth using? Will the results be as good? God bless you all.

Don't quote me on this one but I think Armyqt said that she thought it worked well together but this was only after the relaxing process. She wasn't impressed when it was used alone.

I asked Sherrylove about this and she didn't use it either but used AO GPB instead. Some other members have used it with no problems noted while others noted some tangling.

As far as Phyto's reconstructor being just as good I don't have the answer to that question. AO GPB has always been consistent with me so do what you feel is best for your hair.

When you take it to your stylist don't forget to tell her….DO NOT dump the entire contents into the jar. Do it little by little, then mix, and so on. It's a stiff product in the beginning but will gradually thin out.

Sherrylove, girl I was so hoping you would read my review. I'm so mad at my dog because I was picture ready but I just ordered a new cable. LOL

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I don't know if this has been asked but....where can I purchase it? Sephora has been out of stock for ages. TIA

Nice

vikkisecret said:
Thanx nice :). I think I need to do a corrective because the texture of my hair gets dry awhile after I applying product to it. I get tangles and so forth. I can't tell it's uner or overprocessed. Does anyone know the tale-tale signs of either one??:(

Your welcome :) . Are you sure you hair is underprocessed? If your hair is dry you should do a series of deep moisturizing treatments and follow-up with a moisturizing leave to help with dryness.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Nice said:
Your welcome :) . Are you sure you hair is underprocessed? If your hair is dry you should do a series of deep moisturizing treatments and follow-up with a moisturizing leave to help with dryness.

Hey Nice :wave:
Thanks for your input.I can't really say for sure if my hair is underprocessed or not but I do know that some parts of my hair are wavier and other parts are straighter and thats after relaxing all of my hair?? How can that be....I don't know. I'll do a series od deep deep condtionting treatments to see is that helps with the overall dryness/texture of my hair.

Last edited:

ScorpioF

I like what you all have said so far about Phytorelaxer. How long has anyone gone between root relaxing with the product?