Another school shooting 5/24

starfish

Uvalde gunman threatened rapes, school shootings on Yubo app in lead up to the massacre, users say

8:01 PM EDT May 27, 2022

Salvador Ramos told girls he would rape them, showed off a rifle he bought, and threatened to shoot up schools in livestreams on the social media app Yubo, according to several users who witnessed the threats in recent weeks.

But those users -- all teens -- told CNN that they didn't take him seriously until they saw the news that Ramos had gunned down 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, this week.

Three users said they witnessed Ramos threaten to commit sexual violence or carry out school shootings on Yubo, an app that is used by tens of millions of young people around the world.

The users all said they reported Ramos' account to Yubo over the threats. But it appeared, they said, that Ramos was able to maintain a presence on the platform. CNN reviewed one Yubo direct message in which Ramos allegedly sent a user the $2,000 receipt for his online gun purchase from a Georgia-based firearm manufacturer.

"Guns are boring," the user responded. "No," Ramos apparently replied.

In a statement to CNN, a Yubo spokesperson said "we are deeply saddened by this unspeakable loss and are fully cooperating with law enforcement on their investigation." Yubo takes user safety seriously and is "investigating an account that has since been banned from the platform," the spokesperson said, but declined to release any specific information about Ramos' account.

Use of Yubo skyrocketed during the coronavirus pandemic, as teens trapped indoors turned to the app for a semblance of in-person interactions. The company says it has 60 million users around the world -- 99% of whom are 25 and younger -- and has trumpeted safety features including "second-by-second" monitoring of livestreams using artificial intelligence and human moderators.

Despite those safety features, the users who spoke to CNN said Ramos made personal and graphic threats. During one livestream, Amanda Robbins, 19, said Ramos verbally threatened to break down her door and rape and murder her after she rebuffed his sexual advances. She said she witnessed Ramos threaten other girls with similar "acts of sexual assault and violence."

Robbins, who said she lives in California and only ever interacted with Ramos online, told CNN she reported him to Yubo several times and blocked his account, but continued seeing him in livestreams making lewd comments.

"[Yubo] said if you see any behavior that's not okay, they said to report it. But they've done nothing," Robbins said. "That kid was allowed to be online and say this."

Robbins and other users said they didn't take Ramos' comments seriously because troll-like behavior was commonplace on Yubo.

Hannah, an 18-year-old Yubo user from Ontario, Canada, said she reported Ramos to Yubo in early April after he threatened to shoot up her school and rape and kill her and her mother during one livestream session. Hannah said Ramos was allowed back on the platform after a temporary ban.

Hannah, who requested CNN withhold her last name to protect her privacy, said Ramos' behavior turned increasingly brazen in the last week. In one livestream, she said, Ramos briefly turned his webcam to show a gun on his bed.

The users said they didn't make recordings of Ramos' threats during the livestreams.

Yubo's community guidelines tell users not to "threaten or intimidate" others, and ban harassment and bullying. Content that "promotes violence such as violent acts, guns, knives, or other weapons" is also banned.

Just a week before the Uvalde attack, Yubo announced an expanded age verification process that involves users taking a photo of themselves and the app using artificial intelligence to estimate their age. The platform only allows people 13 and older to sign up, and doesn't allow users 18 and older to interact with those under 18.

Yubo, which is based in Paris, has attracted controversy since it launched in 2015 under the name Yellow, with some local law enforcement officials warning about the possibility of abuse. Police have arrested men in Kentucky, New Jersey and Florida who allegedly used Yubo to meet or exchange sexually explicit messages with kids. Last month, Indiana police investigating the 2017 murder of two teenage girls said they were seeking information about a Yubo user who had solicited nude photos of underage girls on other social media platforms.

Ramos' disturbing social media interactions didn't only take place on Yubo. One user, a girl from Germany who met Ramos on Yubo, said she had some troubling interactions with him via text and FaceTime. The 15-year-old said she received text messages from him shortly after he shot his grandmother and before his assault at the elementary school, as CNN previously reported.

The girl said she thought any violent or strange comments Ramos made were in jest.

But after the shooting, she said, "I added everything up and it made sense now... I was just too dumb to notice all the signals he was giving."

© 2022 Cable News Network, Inc. A WarnerMedia Company. All Rights Reserved.

Theresamonet

I'm still waiting to hear why they thought that. We know there was no resource officer and people inside the school were calling 911. So basically no reliable sources would be able to say this. This sounds like another lie they're too stupid to not tell.

In this video they’re going over the timeline. They knew there were kids in those classrooms (2 adjoining rooms), because that’s where he was shooting, and then barricaded himself. At 4:07 in the video, the Director says “at that time, the commander thought there were NO MORE children at risk”… I’m puzzled by that statement. Did they just assume, because he fired off 100 rounds, that everyone was already dead inside…so it was okay to take their sweet time?

Black Ambrosia

In this video they’re going over the timeline. They knew there were kids in those classrooms (2 adjoining rooms), because that’s where he was shooting, and then barricaded himself. At 4:07 in the video, the Director says “at that time, the commander thought there were NO MORE children at risk”… I’m puzzled by that statement. Did they just assume, because he fired off 100 rounds, that everyone was already dead inside…so it was okay to take their sweet time?

That's the only conclusion that makes sense. How many injured kids could've been saved though? They just wrote them all off.

nichelle02

I had to go renew my driver's license today. While standing at the window and watching the representative tap away on the keyboard, I started listening to the conversation going on next to me. A man had purchased a non-functioning car as a project. He is no longer going to do the project but someone else is. He was trying to get a title so he could sell it.

The representative was going over everything had to do, from the paperwork to taking it to an inspection site. He couldn't understand why he needed to take a non-functioning car to get inspected. Then, she asked for his proof of insurance, this form and that form, etc. She kept telling him that she understood what he was trying to do, but he was skipping steps and that can't happen.

I walked away thinking if buying a gun was as thorough as that man's experience, maybe unlike today, we would have fewer guns than people. We are just backwards.

I had to go renew my driver's license today. While standing at the window and watching the representative tap away on the keyboard, I started listening to the conversation going on next to me. A man had purchased a non-functioning car as a project. He is no longer going to do the project but someone else is. He was trying to get a title so he could sell it.

The representative was going over everything had to do, from the paperwork to taking it to an inspection site. He couldn't understand why he needed to take a non-functioning car to get inspected. Then, she asked for his proof of insurance, this form and that form, etc. She kept telling him that she understood what he was trying to do, but he was skipping steps and that can't happen.

I walked away thinking if buying a gun was as thorough as that man's experience, maybe unlike today, we would have fewer guns than people. We are just backwards.
Yeah companies do background checks on you when you have a gun but they aren't conducting them the way they should be conducted. like this guy had social media/text goings on where he was talking about killing women and other people were questioning whether he was going to shoot up a school.

You should have references and a social media sweep for at least the first or 2nd time you get a gun. Maybe it should be less stringent the more guns you have cause you've proven yourself to be normal.

naturalgyrl5199

Soooo...lets talk about these parents.

I have a rising 3rd grader but this wouldn't even cross her mind to do....also--she wouldn't know where that stuff is kept anyways.

This is what IR-responsible gun ownership looks like. These parents should have their gun licenses revoked for 10 years minimum. Or for life.

yamilee21

Soooo...lets talk about these parents.

I have a rising 3rd grader but this wouldn't even cross her mind to do....also--she wouldn't know where that stuff is kept anyways.

This is what IR-responsible gun ownership looks like. These parents should have their gun licenses revoked for 10 years minimum. Or for life.
On the other hand, I think those gun-crazy Republicans would approve… if those 4th graders in Uvalde had guns, they could have handled the situation themselves, right? Because we are headed for a gun free-for-all society, where each one of us is responsible for our own safety. :(

Everything Zen

You know you’ve lost your way when Piers Morgan is the voice of reason: