Another school shooting 5/24

Evolving78

NEWS

Source: Police never tried to open door to classrooms where Uvalde gunman had kids trapped

Surveillance footage shows that police never tried to open a door to two classrooms at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde in the 77 minutes between the time a gunman entered the rooms and massacred 21 people and officers finally stormed in and killed him, according to a law enforcement source close to the investigation.

Investigators believe the 18-year-old gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers at the school on May 24 could not have locked the door to the connected classrooms from the inside, according to the source.

On ExpressNews.com: Minute-by-minute reconstruction of Uvalde school shooting

All classroom doors at Robb Elementary are designed to lock automatically when they are closed so that the only way to enter from the outside is with a key, the source said. Police might have assumed the door was locked, but the latest evidence suggests it may have been open the whole time, possibly due to a malfunction, the source said.

The surveillance footage indicates gunman Salvador Ramos, 18, was able to open the door to classroom 111 and enter with an assault-style rifle, the source said.

Another door led to classroom 112.

On ExpressNews.com: Remember the lives lost in Uvalde school massacre

Ramos entered Robb Elementary at 11:33 a.m. that day through an exterior door that a teacher had pulled shut but that didn’t lock automatically as it was supposed to, indicating another malfunction in door locks at the school.

Police finally opened the door to classroom 111 and killed Ramos at 12:50 p.m. Whether the door was unlocked all along remains under investigation.

Regardless, officers had access the entire time to a “halligan” — a crowbar-like tool that could have opened the door to the classrooms even if it was locked, the source said.

On ExpressNews.com: At a cemetery in Uvalde, an everlasting grief

Two minutes after Ramos entered the building, three Uvalde police officers chased him inside. Footage shows that Ramos fired rounds inside classrooms 111 and 112, briefly exited into the hallway and then re-entered through the door, the source said.

Ramos then shot at the officers through the closed door, grazing two of them with shrapnel. The officers retreated to wait for backup and heavy tactical equipment rather than force their way into the classrooms.

Pedro “Pete” Arredondo, the Uvalde school district police chief and the on-scene incident commander, has said he spent more than an hour in the hallway of the school. He told the Texas Tribune that he called for tactical gear, a sniper and keys to get inside. He said he held officers back from the door to the classrooms for 40 minutes to avoid gunfire.

When a custodian brought a large key ring, Arredondo said he tried dozens of the keys but none worked.

But Arredondo was not trying those keys in the door to classrooms 111 and 112, where Ramos was holed up, according to the law enforcement source. Rather, he was trying to locate a master key by using the various keys on doors to other classrooms nearby, the source and the Texas Tribune article said.

While Arredondo waited for a tactical team to arrive, children and teachers inside the classrooms called 911 at least seven times with desperate pleas for help. One of the two teachers who died, Eva Mireles, called her husband by cellphone after she was wounded and lay dying.

The massacre occurred two days before the start of summer break, on the same day as a just-completed awards ceremony for the 3rd and 4th-graders at Robb Elementary.

Days after the massacre, Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said at a news conference that “each door can lock from the inside” and that when Ramos went in, “he locked the door.” That information was preliminary, the source said, and further investigation by the Texas Rangers has yielded new revelations about the door.

As the investigation has unfolded, law enforcement has changed the story of the massacre several times, adding to public confusion over how police responded to the mass shooting.

Days after the shooting, DPS said the exterior door that Ramos entered had been left propped open by a teacher. It wasn’t. She had closed it. And the agency also corrected early misinformation that school police shot at Ramos before he entered the school. No school police officers confronted him outside the school.

DPS and Uvalde city officials have refused to provide further details, citing an ongoing criminal investigation into the massacre by Uvalde District Attorney Christina Mitchell Busbee.

The Texas Rangers, with assistance from the FBI, are investigating the police response. Separately, the Justice Department is conducting a “critical incident review” of the police response.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, said he was upset by the new details.

“As more of the story comes out, I’m shocked like the rest of the country at the incompetence and dereliction of duty by multiple law enforcement agencies who failed to save those kids,” Castro said. “I’m also increasingly disturbed by what looks like an attempt to cover up the truth by state officials and the local police department who have refused to comply with requests to release information to the public.”

State Rep. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, whose district encompasses Uvalde, said he was unaware of the revelations about the door. If the door was unlocked the entire time — or if police could have forced their way in regardless — then people likely died unnecessarily, he said.

“If that’s true, we probably could have saved three or four extra children,” Gutierrez said. “The teacher possibly could have been saved. We know two kids had gunshot wounds that they bled out from. We know that one teacher was alive when they pulled her out and she died on the way to the hospital.”

Any law enforcement agency whose officers waited in the hallway for more than an hour “committed negligence,” he said, if the door could have easily been breached the entire time.

Gutierrez added that investigators should immediately clarify exactly how police responded — or failed to respond — to the massacre.

“What were the failures?” Gutierrez continued. “Were they communication failures? Were they human error failures? Were they system failures? Or was it simply something as simple as not turning a doorknob? We need to know that. And the fact that they are hiding all of this information from the public and community in Uvalde is just a tragedy.”
Again it was done on purpose. No failure in communication. They stood there and watched those babies and teachers be massacred.

LivingInPeace

I don’t see how much worse this can get unless we find out some crazy Hollywood plot like the shooter’s mother was sleeping around with the police chief and he somehow knew the kid was his son and couldn’t bring himself to take him out. I’m so disgusted by this whole situation. SMH
But your plot makes more sense than dozens of police officers standing outside a door doing nothing out of fear.

nichelle02

(Posting the link as they update the timeline as new information comes to light)

What we know, minute by minute, about how the Uvalde shooting and police response unfolded​

State officials provided a timeline of the massacre and have corrected crucial details amid public demands for information on how authorities handled the situation.

PatDM'T

(Posting the link as they update the timeline as new information comes to light)

What we know, minute by minute, about how the Uvalde shooting and police response unfolded​

State officials provided a timeline of the massacre and have corrected crucial details amid public demands for information on how authorities handled the situation.

OK...the more
I learn about
this occurrence, the
more questions I have.

Like how does
an 18 year old
afford all that ammo?

Just from the
stuff he bought
within 2 days of
turning 18, I
estimate almost
$5,000.

Then there is
other stuff he
bought before and
accessories.

Everything Zen

Demolition is not unusual of a lot of schools where shootings happen. The towns and buildings become morbid tourist attractions. Also, our schools infrastructure as a whole tends to be outdated and in need of repair so this is a sad excuse for renovation. There was an article in the times about the growing class of Americans (specific to schools shootings only) and the PTSD of school shootings and the triggers were fascinating from Chinese food on the menu that day to being out shopping and seeing dark corduroys on a rack and getting violently I’ll because that was what the victim was wearing that day. Unless the victims get help it can be crazy. But they almost never get a chance to heal in this messed up country because every time a new school shooting happens, this group is retraumatized all over again and gains new members- think about the collective trauma in our community that doesn’t involve school shooting that no one really talks about. :look:

Columbine is one of the schools that was not razed.

Everything Zen

They said not today Satan

Man, 19, allegedly threatened mass shooting at Amazon facility, called Uvalde shooter an 'idol'

Police in San Antonio arrested a 19-year-old man Monday after he allegedly told a co-worker at an Amazon warehouse that he planned to carry out a mass shooting at the facility.

Rodolfo Valdivia Aceves was taken into custody “without incident,” according to police, and has been charged with making terroristic threats.

“Based on information gathered, an employee of the location heard the suspect claiming he was going to do a mass shooting at this place of business,” a synopsis of the incident provided to Yahoo News by Officer Ricardo Guzman of the San Antonio Police Department said. “Credible information to support the threat was developed during the investigation by Homicide detectives.”

AFP via Getty Images

Aceves had reportedly told a female co-worker last Friday — after a fire alarm went off and employees evacuated the building — that it would be a good idea for someone to pull the fire alarm to have workers exit the building in case of a mass shooting. He later allegedly said he planned to carry one out, according to local station KSAT-TV. The co-worker didn’t tell anyone about the threat Friday because she said she was afraid of Aceves and feared he would retaliate, but she changed her mind Monday and told her managers after becoming increasingly worried that Aceves would carry out his plan.

The woman said Aceves revered the Uvalde shooter — an 18-year-old gunman who last month killed 19 children and two teachers — and called him an “idol.” She added that Aceves had recently said he was “tired of living” and had purchased an AR-style rifle.

Aceves’s father later told investigators that his son has a history of mental illness, had stopped taking his medication years ago and had spent time in a mental health facility on two occasions when he was 16. Family members were worried when they learned he had purchased a gun. (Federal background checks conducted in Texas do not flag mental health admittance for juveniles.)

The arrest comes just days after President Biden signed into law the first major federal gun safety legislation in nearly 30 years, which helps states create and execute crisis intervention programs and closes a loophole in domestic violence law.

“Time is of the essence. Lives will be saved,” Biden said at the bill’s signing. “How many times have you heard that: ‘Just do something, for God’s sake, just do something.’”

Getty Images

Biden had asked Congress that the bill include a ban on assault weapons and an increase in the legal age to purchase firearms from 18 to 21, but neither was included in the legislation.

Aceves is currently being held on $50,000 bond.

Cover thumbnail photo: Rodolfo Valdivia Aceves (Bexar County Jail)

PatDM'T

They said not today Satan

Man, 19, allegedly threatened mass shooting at Amazon facility, called Uvalde shooter an 'idol'

Police in San Antonio arrested a 19-year-old man Monday after he allegedly told a co-worker at an Amazon warehouse that he planned to carry out a mass shooting at the facility.

Rodolfo Valdivia Aceves was taken into custody “without incident,” according to police, and has been charged with making terroristic threats.

“Based on information gathered, an employee of the location heard the suspect claiming he was going to do a mass shooting at this place of business,” a synopsis of the incident provided to Yahoo News by Officer Ricardo Guzman of the San Antonio Police Department said. “Credible information to support the threat was developed during the investigation by Homicide detectives.”

AFP via Getty Images

Aceves had reportedly told a female co-worker last Friday — after a fire alarm went off and employees evacuated the building — that it would be a good idea for someone to pull the fire alarm to have workers exit the building in case of a mass shooting. He later allegedly said he planned to carry one out, according to local station KSAT-TV. The co-worker didn’t tell anyone about the threat Friday because she said she was afraid of Aceves and feared he would retaliate, but she changed her mind Monday and told her managers after becoming increasingly worried that Aceves would carry out his plan.

The woman said Aceves revered the Uvalde shooter — an 18-year-old gunman who last month killed 19 children and two teachers — and called him an “idol.” She added that Aceves had recently said he was “tired of living” and had purchased an AR-style rifle.

Aceves’s father later told investigators that his son has a history of mental illness, had stopped taking his medication years ago and had spent time in a mental health facility on two occasions when he was 16. Family members were worried when they learned he had purchased a gun. (Federal background checks conducted in Texas do not flag mental health admittance for juveniles.)

The arrest comes just days after President Biden signed into law the first major federal gun safety legislation in nearly 30 years, which helps states create and execute crisis intervention programs and closes a loophole in domestic violence law.

“Time is of the essence. Lives will be saved,” Biden said at the bill’s signing. “How many times have you heard that: ‘Just do something, for God’s sake, just do something.’”

Getty Images

Biden had asked Congress that the bill include a ban on assault weapons and an increase in the legal age to purchase firearms from 18 to 21, but neither was included in the legislation.

Aceves is currently being held on $50,000 bond.

Cover thumbnail photo: Rodolfo Valdivia Aceves (Bexar County Jail)
Family members knew
he had mental illness
and were worried
when he bought
a gun and???

They need to
take several seats
and just STHU!!

It took a colleague
to stop this
man from killing
while the fam
were waiting for what?

To see if their
worry was legit
after he killed?

So tired of
family members of
killers or would be
killers seeming to
want some limelight
by volunteering info
that does not
make the situation
better or even
show them to
be good citizens.

An example needs
to be made of
people who know
but do nothing. Argh!

PatDM'T

@PatDM'T I tried to send a private message but it doesn’t allow. If you don’t except it’s cool.
I think it
is your settings
because I cannot
send one to
you either.

Or maybe we
both have setting
where we send
first or else...

So I cannot
send you until
you send me and
vice versa. :lachen:

I get private
messages back when
I send some but
I have never
been able to
send you one. :scratchchin:

Dunno what I
need to change?
Do you know
what setting you
have to stop
me from
messaging you?

Everything Zen

I’ve sent messages to many other members so this is interesting. Thank you @Evolving78 Let me see what’s up. Clearly we’re all not blocked- which I’m known to do sometimes accidentally just because the choices are close. Unfortunately, I have accidentally blocked and unblocked a few people on accident. If I block y’all heauxs it wasn’t a mistake and I’m sure likewise.

Everything Zen

Well fine I’ll just tell my story here: DO NOT QUOTE

I’ve been there and the whole mental illness thing hit home this year:

I told DH earlier in our relationship I couldn’t be with him unless he was medicated. He has mostly complied but the meds have caused him severe GI side effects where he may not have a BM for up to 10 days at a time regardless of laxatives, etc. so it’s complicated.

DH went off his meds in April due to his GI issues as confirmed by his gastroenterologist and a confirmatory colonoscopy and ended up punching a hole in our bedroom wall. He became extremely erratic, aggressive and wanted to fight our landlord. He saw that he needed help with the wall punching incident but was lost without medication.

His parents are very aware of his medical issues and have been very helpful to step in. Late last year, I eventually befriended a military female friend of his and she saw him arguing with me in the alley. It didn’t look pretty but I was ok. She (or someone called the cops) as my relationship with her had grown since the end of last year and we grew close due to her own health issues. I was terrified that the cops had been called doing a welfare check on me- I was fine but hysterical about what that would mean for him and us and told the police he was off his meds. I called his parents and psychiatrist for advice and they agreed he should be hospitalized. His psychiatrist called for a medical EMT to come and evaluate him and what was supposed to be a medical intervention ended up having my DH being arrested on the front lawn of our home and we had to go in separate police cars where I signed as his wife for in patient hospital evaluation in spite of what his psychiatrist told me otherwise where am EMT ambulance was supposed to be called.

It was truamatic for both of us only for him to be released two hours later after hours of drama leading up to it and sadly while I respect this friend of his looking out we don’t speak to her and she has since left the area- bc she was in the process of moving when I first met her. He was never physically violent towards me or himself (which is the criteria for In-patient hospitalization) but this friend or neighbors inserted themselves on our lives and the results were traumatic. If I ever needed the police to intervene for real after this experience- now I would likely never call.

Last edited:

PatDM'T

Well fine I’ll just tell my story here: DO NOT QUOTE

I’ve been there and the whole mental illness thing hit home this year:

I told DH earlier in our relationship I couldn’t be with him unless he was medicated. He has mostly complied but the meds have caused him severe GI side effects where he may not have a BM for up to 10 days at a time regardless of laxatives, etc. so it’s complicated.

DH went off his meds in April due to his GI issues as confirmed by his gastroenterologist and a confirmatory colonoscopy and ended up punching a hole in our bedroom wall. He became extremely erratic, aggressive and wanted to fight our landlord. He saw where he was going but was lost without medication.

His parents are very aware of his medical issues and have been very helpful to step in. Late last year, I eventually befriended a military female friend of his and she saw him arguing with me in the alley. It didn’t look pretty but I was ok. She (or someone called the cops) as my relationship with her had grown since the end of last year and we grew close due to her own health issues. I called his parents and psychiatrist for advice and they agreed he should be hospitalized and what was supposed to be a medical intervention ended up having my DH being arrested on the front lawn of our home in spite of what his psychiatrist told me otherwise.

It was truamatic for both of us and he was released two hours later after hours of drama leading up to it and sadly while I respect this friend of his looking out we don’t speak to her and she has left the area. He was not physically violent towards me or himself but this friend or neighbors inserted themselves on our lives and the results were traumatic. If I ever needed the police to intervene for real after this experience- I would likely never call.
Wow!
That is a lot.

:bighug:
I get your point.
Need to think
some on this.

Thanks for sharing.

yamilee21

Uvalde school district police chief Pedro "Pete" Arredondo has resigned his separate position on the Uvalde city council in the wake of the massacre at Robb Elementary School in May, according to a resignation letter he sent to the city.

"After much consideration, it is in the best interest of the community to step down as a member of the City Council for District 3 to minimize further distractions," Arredondo said in the letter. "The Mayor, the City Council, and the City Staff must continue to move forward to unite our community, once again."

Uvalde city officials confirmed they received the resignation letter Saturday. The Uvalde Leader-News first reported about the resignation.

Arredondo's role in the police response to the May 24 shooting -- in which a gunman entered adjoining classrooms and killed 19 children and two teachers -- has been under intense public scrutiny and criticism from the Texas Department of Public Safety. That's in part because more than an hour elapsed before officers entered the classrooms and killed the gunman.

Arredondo was placed on leave from his job as school district police chief by the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District last week.

Link to rest of article

Everything Zen

This mom is a real one- hero. Like she said- stay in their business.

Mom opens up about turning her son in to police for mass shooting threat

It may sound unthinkable, but one mom said reporting her son to the police felt necessary after she found signs her son was planning a killing spree and attack on his school and home.

Nichole Schubert, who first told The Wall Street Journal about her story, said she was cleaning her home in 2019 when she found her son's journal with plans that outlined how he would kill her at home first and then attack his Washington high school, where he was a 17-year-old senior at the time.

"It was very descriptive," Schubert recalled in an interview with "Good Morning America's" T.J. Holmes that aired Thursday. "It was just heartbreaking. I didn't, I didn't really want to know the details."

Schubert said seeing what her son wrote was devastating.

"That's my child, I, I gave birth to him, you know. It hurts a lot. It still hurts," she said.

But within hours, Schubert said she notified the authorities of her son and his plans.

"Your first instinct is, as a parent, is to protect your child. But at that point, I felt like if he is actually going to do these things, he would be safer in jail," Schubert said.

"It wasn't just about me and him at that point," she added. "It was about a whole school -- hundreds of people, hundreds of kids, children."

MORE: Highland Park alleged shooter's father says he is not culpable for son's attack

Schubert said she doesn't regret reporting her son.

"I believe I saved lives," she told "GMA."

Since then, Schubert said she continues to speak about her family's story in the hopes of helping to prevent another school shooting or similar tragedy.

"If there's a possibility to save even one -- one person, one child -- I think it's worth it," said Schubert.

Schubert said she later turned over her son's notebook to police and told them she had also previously found what she believed to be a homemade pipe bomb in her son's room. Her son, who contends the journal writings were a fantasy and story and not a real plan, was arrested and pleaded guilty to a felony charge for threatening to bomb or injure property and misdemeanors for harassment.

He underwent a mental evaluation and completed a rehabilitation program and community service afterward.

In the wake of recent mass shootings, Schubert said she wants other parents to pay attention to warning signs.

"Stay in their business. Even if they don't like it. They're not going to like it. But as parents, it's our job to know what our kids are doing," she said. "Just be aware and watch for signs. Kids will normally tell you by their actions when something is wrong."

MORE: Mother of Texas gunman says son was 'not a monster,' could be 'aggressive'

"Obviously, we can't control our children's actions all the time. Who can? But there are signs that something's not right, something's, you know, why is he acting weird? Why? Why is he so to himself?" she continued. "I was in his room, you know? What are you doing? Where are you going? All the time. And he hated it. But he's alive. And everyone's alive and he's not in jail."

Today, Schubert said her son is working and hopes to go to college and since his arrest, has not had any trouble with the law.

"You just pray. You just pray that God ... helps them make the right choices through life. Because what else can you do? He's over 18 now," she said. "He's my child. I love him unconditionally. I'll always be there for him. I'll always love him no matter what he does."

MORE FROM

Editors Picks

1. Mental health impact of gun violence on kids

2. Prioritizing children’s mental health

3. New data show how pandemic hurt high school students' mental health