any have Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia?

Evolving78

Just when I thought I was making progress, I noticed this spot. Don't know if it was always there, or just came about. I am about to wash my hair. My scalp feels irritated in that area. I'm trying to upload a pic, but my downloader is running slow.

Hisbeloved

I had a biopsy a few weeks ago and just received my results yesterday. I too have scarring allopecia. I'm optimistic because now that I know what it is, I can take steps to reverse it. I'm still in the early phase. My doctor prescribed antibiotics and cortisone cream to apply to my scalp. She also mentioned something about a laser cap. I'll have to research that one.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@Smiley79 @shortdub78, your dermatologist should do a scalp biopsy to fully understand what you're dealing with. My sister has a form of alopecia. The dermatologist wouldn't even begin discussing treatment until the biopsy was done and results in to know what was really going on.

I had a friend that went to a dermatologist that didn't do a biopsy and they simply started treating her....fast forward years later, her hair never grew back. My sister's hair is growing back...slow in some spots but at least it's growing.

ETA: my sister is receiving steroid scalp injections and using a steroid scalp cream at home.

g.lo

@Smiley79 @shortdub78, your dermatologist should do a scalp biopsy to fully understand what you're dealing with. My sister has a form of alopecia. The dermatologist wouldn't even begin discussing treatment until the biopsy was done and results in to know what was really going on.

I had a friend that went to a dermatologist that didn't do a biopsy and they simply started treating her....fast forward years later, her hair never grew back. My sister's hair is growing back...slow in some spots but at least it's growing.

ETA: my sister is receiving steroid scalp injections and using a steroid scalp cream at home.

you are right especially in in the case of CCA, a biopsy is a must.

Hisbeloved

I bit the bullet and purchased a laser helmet called IGROW. It was $700 but I believe I'm worth it. The good thing is, you get your money back if it doesn't work. The not so good thing is, you have to be consistent for 6 months before they will refund you. I'll keep you ladies posted on my progress.

CodeRed

I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I do not have this condition but I was searching for ways to prevent different forms of hair loss before they start... good to know that oil blends do actually work. I needed the encouragement to keep doing my oil/scalp massages. I thought they weren't helping but sometimes you have to see what could happen if you don't take care...

Smiley79

I went to my primary. He told me to stop coloring and relaxing my hair. He did blood work to make sure it wasn autoiumme. I was having issues with circulation in my legs. He didn't do anything major. I know the soreness and tenderness would come from trying to go longer without shampooing, too much product and oil in that area/cornrows. I wish I could post pics.

My derm said that same thing!

Smiley79

So aside from dealing with the small patches of hair loss, what's bothering me most with having CCCA is the change in the texture of my hair in the center of my head. In that area, the hair is somewhat lifeless and frail looking; it's less dense as well. I have sparse edges and a weak center of hair. smh
Keeping up with my DC treatments has kept the hair strong,; I do not experience any unusual shedding which is good, so I should be happy with that.

Smiley79

Checking in...went to the dermatologist for my followup appt regarding the CCA; well the inflammation is definitely under control on my scalp. That is good news because there was point where the middle of my scalp felt VERY tender to the touch. Like little pins were pricking my scalp. I do not experience that anymore. I will continue with the prescribed foam for one week, every 4 weeks.

And recently I started using African Black soap to cleanse my scalp twice a month...I'm going to try it for 3 months (until my next appt) and see if I experience any positive results. Between ABS and ACV, I think these are 2 natural products that may help my scalp to heal. Crossing my fingers.

As for my traction alopecia, that's a whole other story, smh. That's just the result of years of bad hair choices in my younger days and now it caught up with me. So I think my edges have given up for the most part and I just have to accept that. Even JBCO isn't doing much help at all. Anywho I'll try to post some pics when I have time and discuss that progress (or lack thereof).

Oh and I forgot to add that unfortunately I am still experiencing hair that is a little more frail in the front to center of my head compared to the rest of my head. I really don't like that but the derm told me that's expected. Ofcourse, the fighter in me is motivated to keep researching and looking into ways to combat this...whether it be better diet, exercise, or natural remedies.

All in all, I'm not stressing over this as much. I enjoy making wigs and letting my hair rest as much as possible. And I regularly ROTATE any style that I choose to rock. I don't stick to one thing for more than a few days so I don't cause any unnecessary tension or manipulation on one area of my head over the other.

Hisbeloved

Checking in...went to the dermatologist for my followup appt regarding the CCA; well the inflammation is definitely under control on my scalp. That is good news because there was point where the middle of my scalp felt VERY tender to the touch. Like little pins were pricking my scalp. I do not experience that anymore. I will continue with the prescribed foam for one week, every 4 weeks.

And recently I started using African Black soap to cleanse my scalp twice a month...I'm going to try it for 3 months (until my next appt) and see if I experience any positive results. Between ABS and ACV, I think these are 2 natural products that may help my scalp to heal. Crossing my fingers.

As for my traction alopecia, that's a whole other story, smh. That's just the result of years of bad hair choices in my younger days and now it caught up with me. So I think my edges have given up for the most part and I just have to accept that. Even JBCO isn't doing much help at all. Anywho I'll try to post some pics when I have time and discuss that progress (or lack thereof).

Oh and I forgot to add that unfortunately I am still experiencing hair that is a little more frail in the front to center of my head compared to the rest of my head. I really don't like that but the derm told me that's expected. Ofcourse, the fighter in me is motivated to keep researching and looking into ways to combat this...whether it be better diet, exercise, or natural remedies.

All in all, I'm not stressing over this as much. I enjoy making wigs and letting my hair rest as much as possible. And I regularly ROTATE any style that I choose to rock. I don't stick to one thing for more than a few days so I don't cause any unnecessary tension or manipulation on one area of my head over the other.
Have you heard of wild growth hair oil? I swear it works! Of course I've had treatment from my derm but it seems like I wasn't getting the quickest results until I started using it. It has sulfur in it so it does smell but I put a few drops of lavender oil in it and that helped. The sulfur has antibacterial properties which you may need since your hair still feels fragile. I remember that feeling but I'm not sure if it was the laser helmet, the oil or the antibiotics that helped it but it is now strong and doesn't feel that way anymore.

faithVA

Glad you're experiencing some progress. Definitely keep researching. You may come upon something that helps you out. Every little bit helps.

Smiley79

Have you heard of wild growth hair oil? I swear it works! Of course I've had treatment from my derm but it seems like I wasn't getting the quickest results until I started using it. It has sulfur in it so it does smell but I put a few drops of lavender oil in it and that helped. The sulfur has antibacterial properties which you may need since your hair still feels fragile. I remember that feeling but I'm not sure if it was the laser helmet, the oil or the antibiotics that helped it but it is now strong and doesn't feel that way anymore.

I have heard of it. I will try it and see how it goes. Thanks so much.

Smiley79

Soooo, I'm really liking the African Black soap on my scalp....I focus on applying it to my scalp only since it is very drying, and then I make sure to give my hair a super moisturizing deep conditioning treatment thereafter. My scalp feels very clean and refreshed and I do not feel that prickly inflamed feeling on my scalp that I dealt with in the past. The only time I don't use the black soap is the week that I use my scalp foam.

ilong

God's Own
@Smiley79 - your hair is so thick it is difficult to see that you have CCCA. While researching hair loss I ran across the following as potential treatments to stimulate hair follicles and for hair loss.

Emu Oil
Pumpkin Seed Oil (Tablets)
Folligen
Green Tree Extract (ECCG active agent)

Beware of the caffeine content of the Green Tea Extract. I can't take it - otherwise I will suffer with insomnia for as long as it's in my system. However, ECCG, the active ingredient is purported to have a very good stimulating affect on hair follicles.

My girlfriend also has CCCA. She shaved her hair down to less than an inch and doesn't aggravate her scalp as she refuses to wear anything on her head. She's hoping not aggravating her hair along with the steroids the doctor prescribed will promote regrowth.

Smiley79

Awww thanks. Girlllll, don't let the picture fool you. Its not as thick as it looks especially in the center area. My hair is fine and has a frail appearance to it. Sometimes i feel like doing another big chop just to give my hair a fresh slate again.
Thank you for sharing this article with me. I would love to give on of those a try next snd see how my hair responds to it. How do i use the green tree extract...in another product?
And how is the steroid working for your friend's hair?

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
@Smiley79 - Green Tea Extract (GTE) comes in pill form.
http://www.vitacost.com/source-naturals-green-tea-extract

Glad you asked! When I went to Vitacost for the link, I saw GTE is offered in Decaf -
http://www.vitacost.com/life-extension-decaffeinated-mega-green-tea-extract-100-vegetarian-capsules
which is what I need.

Also, don't discount Pumpkin Seed Oil - it offers benefits similar to Finasteride (aka Propecia) which is predominantly taken by men to slow down hair loss associated with Male Pattern Baldness.

You should also know, Green Tea can be a fat burner and help with weight loss.

Last edited:

Smiley79

Okay thanks girl for all the detail. I wil note this info. Thst pumkin seed oil sounds nice. I cant wait to try it..:shopping:

daviine

Hi ladies! :wave:

I have been watching this thread with the intent to post but never have the time to write a detailed post. I'll make a short post for now as a starting point.

I was diagnosed with CCCA sometime last year, after initially being diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia.. I think I have both, not just the CCCA.
I have not been following the regimen recommended by my dermatologist for a few reasons; none of them are good reasons.
I received one steroid shot before I stopped going to the derm and I think, but I am not sure, it may have made my scalp lumpy, if that makes sense. The other explanation is that my scalp was always lumpy but that I had so much hair I couldn't tell. I have lost a lot of volume over the years.

I hope to post here more frequently because this is a horrible feeling. Also, I hope posting here will motivate me to keep fighting and not resign myself to a future of clip-ins and/or wigs.

See you soon.

Hisbeloved

B
Hi ladies! :wave:

I have been watching this thread with the intent to post but never have the time to write a detailed post. I'll make a short post for now as a starting point.

I was diagnosed with CCCA sometime last year, after initially being diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia.. I think I have both, not just the CCCA.
I have not been following the regimen recommended by my dermatologist for a few reasons; none of them are good reasons.
I received one steroid shot before I stopped going to the derm and I think, but I am not sure, it may have made my scalp lumpy, if that makes sense. The other explanation is that my scalp was always lumpy but that I had so much hair I couldn't tell. I have lost a lot of volume over the years.

I hope to post here more frequently because this is a horrible feeling. Also, I hope posting here will motivate me to keep fighting and not resign myself to a future of clip-ins and/or wigs.

See you soon.
Be encouraged. This is definitely a journey that will test you and require great faith, research, trying different things, evaluating and patience. We will NEVER give up on our hair.

Hisbeloved

Just checking in with a couple of pics.Not much progress as far as growth in the bald areas but I'm still keeping on the journey. (Unfortunately, I do not have a before picture of my crown area to show the CCC Alopecia area but I did find a photo from earlier this year showing my traction alopecia.)

It's been an extremely slow process these past few months. I'm not that woman who gets 6 months of dramatic growth after trying a product or something, lol. I'm a slow head. While I do not see much progress, I am happy to see some peach fuzz coming in because my dermatologist told me that my edges and crown would most like never grow back. With that said I've been enjoying the personal challenge of trying to turn things around for my hair despite what she said.
In regards to the CCC Alopecia, it's challenging to monitor my progress because it's about a dime to penny size spot on the center area of my scalp It's hard for me to look at it, even with the help a mirror behind me. So I usually wait for the derm appt to get a detailed update on it. My derm exaplained that our goal is to prevent the crown area bald stop from spreading. She said typically when gone untreated, that bald spot can go from a dime size to a small pancake size over the years. :cry3:I do not want that.

My story since May 2015 (I found out about my alopecia on 4/30/15 and I started making a few changes to my regimen/hair habits the following month)
  • I have been keeping up with the foam that my dermatologist prescribed me.
  • I did use up a bottle of Minoval but I haven't' repurchased it ( i feel like it was causing me to grow facial hair and side burns)...I bought Wild Growth Hair oil instead.
  • I did use up a bottle of JBCO.
  • I stopped sew ins and braids completely.
  • I do not do buns or puffs as often anymore...I barely do them so I don't cause unnecessary tension.
  • I stopped being a PJ ( I had/have so many products to use up, smh)...I try to use up a product before I buy another so I can really pay attention to how my hair responds to a product.
  • I lightly spray my hair/scalp often with H20+whatever products I'm trying to use up; I think of my scalp as a garden that you would water daily to keep it moisturized and promote an inviting environment for growth.
  • I focus less on having a ton of products and focus more on technique. For example, under my wigs I opt to do gentle and loose two stands flat twists rather than cornrows. I leave a generous portion of my edges/front area out so it can be free at all times, no tension!
  • I only wear wigs when I'm going out/at work. As soon as I get home, it's off.
  • I massage my scalp frequently and pay attention to soreness of the scalp. The alopecia was causing me to to have sore scalp quite often but the foam has significantly helped that to stop.
  • I keep up with my derm appts
  • I'm more patient now when it comes to my hair. I'n not stressing or comparing my progress to others or setting hair goals based on a picture I saw on Pinterest, lol. I just stroll alongside the progress of my hair.
  • I do take Biotin pills but I can be irregular sometimes.
  • Although it's not hair care, I share my experience with other woman and just spread the word to them to not ignore tender spots, tight weaves/braids, hair breakage etc. Get it checked. And I educate and encourage my daughter and other young girls I may meet to preserve their hair and edges from now and I share my story with them.
(May 2015)

View attachment 346515 (December 2015)

I'll try to take better pictures from now on so I can really monitor the journey.

Helpful Youtube channel that I follow:
Keep doing what you're doing. I do see some progress. Any progress is better than regress.

discodumpling

Just wanna add to this topic because I suffered from something similar. I too used topical treatments like the Hayes oil method (still do at times!0 but don't forget to treat the problem from the INSIDE also. Vitamins and supplements like hyaluronic acid, a great B complex and at times a little extra vitamin D, really aided in my journey at times. Whatever method you choose just be consistent. Stick with it, gain whatever results it has to offer and move on to the next thing.

Last edited:

Hisbeloved

I went to the dermatologist last week and although my hair is getting thicker, there are some spots that are not filling in. She recommended that I try rogaine for at least a year so I started last Thursday. I will post before and after pics once I see some progress.

Smiley79

I decided to stop using the Vigin Hair Fertilizer and the Minoval. I'm going back to the JBCO and sticking to that only so I can monitor the progress more accurately. I'm using the original and the pimento version. This time I am warming up the oil when I massage it in; every 2 or 3 days. I still use the Alter Ego Nequal drops on wash days. I really want to keep a simple regimen and focus more on consistency rather than product overload.

Hisbeloved

My mom has alopecia and grandmother temple area. The picture below is what is starting to happen to me but not as advanced. I can't allow this. So if I find something that works or invent something that works you guys will know.

Just don't give up! My hairline probably would look like that if I stopped fighting. My grandmother and aunt both look that way and it's because they do nothing! They think I'm overly obsessed but I refuse to give in.