Any Late 50s Natural With 4c Issues?

Misseyl

I'm in my late 50s with 4c natural hair and cut my hair almost 6 years ago. And I know they say you should not compare your hair with people but I'm just annoyed that I see people who cut their hair around the same time I did with shoulder length tresses. I'm I setting myself up for a disappointment or should I should continue soldier on? I do everything under the sun but not getting the results I want. I've just decided to stop installing bantu knots every weekend and just do twist outs. I will continue doing Henna treatments but will opt to get my hair completely black instead of the red streaks I have going on right now because of the the grays. I'm using the complete line of Camille Rose products, something that leave my hair moist and hydrated but what else can I do? Any suggestions? I do not do much protective styles because of work, I do not own a wig but I think this summer I will be installing cornrows all going back for work and see how that works out. Any comments, suggestions will be appreciated.

Aggie

How's your vitamin regimen @Misseyl? How much water are you drinking daily plus how wholesome is your food intake?

I myself do a lot of protective styling and wear my hair out every 3 months or so. I cut it regularly but it always comes back in record time. I am only 51 years old for reference by the way.

I find that all of the above along with regular exercise and some scalp massages helps to speed up my hair growth. Also retaining whatever hair that does grow by heavy moisturizing and sealing and handling my hair ever so gently, are crucial.

Daily wash and goes/manipulation do not work for me at all :nono:.

Misseyl

Okay, thanks for your response. I think I'm gonna increase my water intake. I'm currently on the low carb diet. I find that I lose the weight much faster this way and when I try to incorporate carbs back into my diet my stomach cannot handle it. I only eat meats and some vegetables like collards, kales, cabbage, etc. Not so much peas, corns, beans etc. I removed rice, pasta, potatoes, bread etc. from diet. Stomach does not like the taste of them after this diet. They just don't taste the same anymore. I'm going to increase my green vegetables and probable a multi-vitamin in my diet.:afro:

faithVA

Okay, thanks for your response. I think I'm gonna increase my water intake. I'm currently on the low carb diet. I find that I lose the weight much faster this way and when I try to incorporate carbs back into my diet my stomach cannot handle it. I only eat meats and some vegetables like collards, kales, cabbage, etc. Not so much peas, corns, beans etc. I removed rice, pasta, potatoes, bread etc. from diet. Stomach does not like the taste of them after this diet. They just don't taste the same anymore. I'm going to increase my green vegetables and probable a multi-vitamin in my diet.:afro:
I'm over 50 and I can relate to your struggles. I don't have any good answers for you.

But here is a vitamin that I recently started which I like a lot. It has a good balance of things versus a lot of the other ones.

Misseyl

I just purchased the Revair hair dryer for $379. I will be using this dryer to stretch my hair from now on. I'll try to keep my hair in the stretch state for as much as possible moving forward. This is just another way for me to switch things up to see if I see more length. The picture listed here was when I had a relaxer. I believe my hair should be this length if it is stretch. I'll see when I get dryer.:afro:

Last edited:

CurliDiva

Are you a slow grower or not retaining your length?

I think many of us have a bigger problem with retaining length vs growth.

You may have to sacrifice the loose styles, heat and henna/ dye until you reach a few length milestones.

Misseyl

Are you a slow grower or not retaining your length?

I think many of us have a bigger problem with retaining length vs growth.

You may have to sacrifice the loose styles, heat and henna/ dye until you reach a few length milestones.[/QUOTE]
Are you saying I should wear my hair straight more? If so, that's what I'm going to do moving forward. I purchased the Revair with the intention of wearing my hair straight. Maybe I need to wear more stretch styles instead of the curly look. Also, after a few trials, I plan to dye hair henna black in the near future.:afro:

CurliDiva

^^ I mean are you getting 1/2 of new growth at roots per month? If not, you are growing slower than average.

If you're seeing steady new growth but your hair seems to be the same length than your length or ends are breaking.

If you're a slower grower than a protein-rich diet, more water, vitamins and scalp massages may all help!

If your hair is breaking, you need to figure what's causing it and minimize the damage.

nubiangoddess3

How often do you trim?

I used to only trim once a year and only retain 2 inches. Now I trim every 3-4 months and I retain 5 inches a year.

4c hair loved to tangle, and the knots are definitely the enemy of progress. So if your hair is tangling and knotting like crazy get a trim. Monitor how your detangling sessions go, and also if you see little hairs (breakage) and see if trimming more often helps your retention rate.

Also, my 4c hair loves protective styles. I live in them 9 months out of the years.

Last edited:

Misseyl

I just purchased the Revair hair dryer for $379. I will be using this dryer to stretch my hair from now on. I'll try to keep my hair in the stretch state for as much as possible moving forward. This is just another way for me to switch things up to see if I see more length. The picture listed here was when I had a relaxer. I believe my hair should be this length if it is stretch. I'll see when I get dryer.:afro:

Used the hair dryer on Saturday before having my twists installed and it took approximately 30 minutes to dry my entire head. I thought it wouldn't work. I was all ready to send it back under the 30 day warranty and bam! it worked. I was shocked, I'm still amazed. Its worth the money. It's big and cumbersome but no head damage, just dry, stretched hair. It looked like I took my flatiron to it on 450 setting, now go figure.:afro:

Misseyl

How often do you trim?

I used to only trim once a year and only retain 2 inches. Now I trim every 3-4 months and I retain 5 inches a year.

4c hair loved to tangle, and the knots are definitely the enemy of progress. So if your hair is tangling and knotting like crazy get a trim. Monitor how your detangling sessions go, and also if you see little hairs (breakage) and see if trimming more often helps your retention rate.

Also, my 4c hair loves protective styles. I live in them 9 months out of the years.

Okay, thanks for the insighg. I'm gonna start clipping more. I did a clip before I install some twists. I think I'll trim every 4/6 months and see what happens.:afro: