Any long term transitioners use protein on relaxed ends only?

mg1979

Question: If relaxed hair requires more protein than natural hair and you're transitioning long term without a BC, at some point wouldn't your natural hair go on protein overload if you kept using protein on all of your hair so that you can give enough protein to your relaxed ends?

I've been transitioning for what seems like forever-21 1/2 months at this point. I'm not quite ready to cut off the remaining relaxed hair-not at a length I would be comfortable yet. I'm thinking about just applying protein on the relaxed ends until I'm at the length I want-otherwise I would think my protein/moisture balance would get way off if I used it on my natural hair too.

Bun Mistress

I undersand your question and I have a follow up question - what protien are you using?

I have had to chagned the type of protein that I am using to some thing take makes all of my hair happy. I only occasional use the hardening aphogee and now use Aveda DR also I started to use Roux porosity (not a protein but it does seem to help my ends) and cermides (wheat germ oil mixed with my regular oil) on my ends. Also sometime when I am bunning, I apply a little DR to the ends of my hair only with oil. Hope this helps.

nychaelasymone

I've been transitioning for a year and through trial and error found that protein is necessary on the ends.....albeit a light protein but protein none-the-less. I use Aveda damage remedy on my hair every other week to keep my ends strong. hope this helps

mg1979

I undersand your question and I have a follow up question - what protien are you using?

I have had to chagned the type of protein that I am using to some thing take makes all of my hair happy. I only occasional use the hardening aphogee and now use Aveda DR also I started to use Roux porosity (not a protein but it does seem to help my ends) and cermides (wheat germ oil mixed with my regular oil) on my ends. Also sometime when I am bunning, I apply a little DR to the ends of my hair only with oil. Hope this helps.

I had been using Nexxus Emergencee and still felt like the relaxed ends needed more, which is how I started thinking of this. I had considered the Aphogee Two Step, and that's why I figured it might be just right for my relaxed ends when done correctly, but may be too much for my natural hair.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I'm not transitioning ( I think :look:), but I am on a long term stretch. This is exactly what I do. My natural hair is protein sensitive and my relaxed hair can't get enough of it. I have tried using different kinds of protein in hopes of satifying both textures, but this is the most sucessful method I've found.

I shampoo then put a protein condish like Aphogee 2minute on the relaxed hair only. Leave that on for anywhere between 30 min-1 hr. After rinsing, I apply my moisture DC to my entire hair.

Currently, the only time I apply protein to my entire length is when I do the hardcore aphogee every 6 weeks. Although I feel this may change later on.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I had been using Nexxus Emergencee and still felt like the relaxed ends needed more, which is how I started thinking of this. I had considered the Aphogee Two Step, and that's why I figured it might be just right for my relaxed ends when done correctly, but may be too much for my natural hair.

If after emergencee, the ends felt like they need more, I would try the 2 step on the ends only.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I thought a lot of naturals used the ORS Hair Mayo...isn't that protein? I've been using Rusk Calm 60 Second revive on my entire length...it is a pretty light protein and I've been fine using that. I use it as a cowash conditioner though...I used Mendex once a couple of weeks ago with no ill effects as well...on the entire length...but then, I've only used it once. So far, the Rusk has been enough for me...

O yeah, I've been transitioning for 7.5 months..

melissa-bee

I had this problem. Originally I was using Nexxus Emergencee and then Humecto, but my natural hair wasn't having it. Anyway, I rediscovered ORS replenishing condidtioner and both my natural and relaxed ends enjoy it. Perhaps try something with more moisture than protien.

mg1979

I thought a lot of naturals used the ORS Hair Mayo...isn't that protein? I've been using Rusk Calm 60 Second revive on my entire length...it is a pretty light protein and I've been fine using that. I use it as a cowash conditioner though...I used Mendex once a couple of weeks ago with no ill effects as well...on the entire length...but then, I've only used it once. So far, the Rusk has been enough for me...

O yeah, I've been transitioning for 7.5 months..

Its not that natural hair doesn't need protein, it just doesn't need as much as relaxed hair.

mg1979

I'm not transitioning ( I think :look:), but I am on a long term stretch. This is exactly what I do. My natural hair is protein sensitive and my relaxed hair can't get enough of it. I have tried using different kinds of protein in hopes of satifying both textures, but this is the most sucessful method I've found.

I shampoo then put a protein condish like Aphogee 2minute on the relaxed hair only. Leave that on for anywhere between 30 min-1 hr. After rinsing, I apply my moisture DC to my entire hair.

Currently, the only time I apply protein to my entire length is when I do the hardcore aphogee every 6 weeks. Although I feel this may change later on.

If after emergencee, the ends felt like they need more, I would try the 2 step on the ends only.

I've been transitioning for a year and through trial and error found that protein is necessary on the ends.....albeit a light protein but protein none-the-less. I use Aveda damage remedy on my hair every other week to keep my ends strong. hope this helps

I had this problem. Originally I was using Nexxus Emergencee and then Humecto, but my natural hair wasn't having it. Anyway, I rediscovered ORS replenishing condidtioner and both my natural and relaxed ends enjoy it. Perhaps try something with more moisture than protien.

Thanks everyone! I think I will try the stroner protein on the relaxed ends and moisture after on the whole head.

mg1979

It worked well just to apply Aphogee Two Step Protein on just the relaxed ends. That stuff is strong. I'm glad I didn't put it on the natural hair cause it would've been way to much protein!

dynamic1

I used protein treatments throughout my long-term transition. I applied them to my the relaxed and natural hair. I believe it helped strengthen the demarcation line and allowed me to transition longer. It also helped guard against heat damage to my natural hair.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I don't use hardcore proteins anymore such as Aphogee 2 step, or other similar hardcore proteins. It causde a big tangle mess in my hair and it's just not needed anymore. Protein is very important and should be used in moderation when you are transitioning or natural to prevent protein overload. I would suggest you using a very light/mild protein treatment instead of neglecting certain parts of your hair.

Another thing that I notice since transition is my hair doesn't like shampoos with proteins in it, so now I have to avoid those products the same way I avoid sulfates, and silicone.