Any naturals/long term transitioners...

MummysGirl

... who don't/didn't have to wash hair in sections?

:hiya:
I'm 10 months post relaxer and I've not had to wash my hair in braided (or otherwise) sections yet. I do wash my hair when it's in my middle siggy style but I mean when my hair is loose...

I'm wondering if it's a bit too early to predict that I won't have to wash my hair in sections for a long while... if I don't need to now (as a transitioner with a mix of 10 months worth of new growth and relaxed hair which results in longer than APL hair), I wonder when I will.

My current wash routine: Wet hair, slather in cowash con, let sit for a few minutes, massage gently. Detangle with fingers while rinsing con out. (NOTE: Sometimes I DC on dry hair, other times I DC after cowashing, sometimes I prepoo with oils, other times I don't do anything at all) I apply my leave-in (Giovanni Direct) , which is a fantastic detangler for my fine (but many) strands. I don't just rake my comb through my hair, I start from the back, with a section that is about 1/5th of my whole hair and completely detangle with my wide tooth comb. I repeat this for the rest of my hair. (This is the only 'sectioning' I do.) Detangling DONE.

Maybe my story will change when I have APL natural hair :spinning::spinning:

So Ladies, I'd LOVE your responses... TIA!

dicapr

When I was APL natural I didn't wash in sections. I usually don't manipulate my hair that much during washing and didn't find significant tangles from washing loose. Sorry I can't be of much more help. I don't particularly like washing in braids. I just don't feel as if I get my hair as clean.

Pooks

I never HAD to wash my hair in sections, I just found that when I transitioned to washing this way it was SOOOO much easier. Some people with looser textures or just less 'tangle-prone' hair may not need to wash like this, but my hair shrinks fiercely when wet which equals plenty plenty knots! Yes I can detangle with a head full of conditioner, but for me washing in braids is the way forward. Sometimes if I feel my hair is really dirty I may undo each braid and wash just that section loose and then apply conditioner and rebraid it. I only wash/cowash unsectioned to remove henna/indigo now.

MummysGirl

Thank you! Makes perfect sense... I probably don't have enought natural hair to worry about too much shrinkage/knots yet. My relaxed ends are still more than my new growth... somaybe when I have all natural hair that is long, I might have to rethink the way I wash... I'll have this post to look back to for reference :yep:

I never HAD to wash my hair in sections, I just found that when I transitioned to washing this way it was SOOOO much easier. Some people with looser textures or just less 'tangle-prone' hair may not need to wash like this, but my hair shrinks fiercely when wet which equals plenty plenty knots! Yes I can detangle with a head full of conditioner, but for me washing in braids is the way forward. Sometimes if I feel my hair is really dirty I may undo each braid and wash just that section loose and then apply conditioner and rebraid it. I only wash/cowash unsectioned to remove henna/indigo now.

Pooks

Thank you! Makes perfect sense... I probably don't have enought natural hair to worry about too much shrinkage/knots yet. My relaxed ends are still more than my new growth... somaybe when I have all natural hair that is long, I might have to rethink the way I wash... I'll have this post to look back to for reference :yep:

@ the bolded - Yep, your relaxed ends are in the majority so they'll weigh down your new growth. Glad I could help!

nikki2229

I feel the same way as you Mummy. I have tried to wash in braids or twists but I don't feel like my hair is getting clean enough. I am almost 1 year post and my daughter is 11 months post. I don't wash either of our hair in braids.
I do wash, condition and then detangle with Giovanni Leave In. After that, I divide in 4 sections and twist until I am ready to style.
My DD's hair does not tangle as much as mine so doing her hair is a breeze. I don't need to twist her hair after applying the leave in.
Both of us have APL or longer hair.
Maybe it will change in the future, so I don't get my hopes up too high. LOL

melodies815

DD's hair is natural. She is 12 and has BSB hair now. I wash her hair in braids with no exceptions. It's been years since I washed her hair loose...but I have to wash it more frequently so that her scalp gets really clean.

No major tangles and her tender scalp appreciates it.

My hair is only abt. 4-5 inches long, and I only JUST started considering that I will have to wash in sections in about a year. I can't imagine washing my hair loose once it has a few more inches. :nono: They come out extremely easily when my hair is damp, but I think the SSKs and knots would be the death of me...

I'll have to update this response in a year.

cj

ChristmasCarol

I tried to wash my hair in 4 sections (plaits), but as soon as I got under the shower, all the plaits unraveled. Am I supposed to put clips in them or something? I don't need to wash in sections, cuz my hair doesn't tangle when it's wet. As long as it's wet, it's dreamhair. When it dries with no product - WATCH OUT NOW! I was just doin' it for the heck of it, since I've read so much about it. Seems like more trouble than it's worth for me. I'm grazing apl with about 4 inches of new growth, so maybe when I get to bsl or beyond, I'll need to use this technique.

LadyRaider

I'm a six months, so nowhere near natural, so I hope I don't have to in the future. I know that there was one week where I have gone with a twist out and "low manipulation" and when I washed my hair I could feel tangles for the first time.

When I have worn my hair straightened for the week, I haven't run into any tangles.

Chameleonchick

I don't have to wash in sections, but I have to detangle in sections. If I have time I will wash in sections just because.

almond eyes

I am fully natural. I have fine strands though that are wiry and spongy. I used to wash my hair normally but I would always get more tangles after I would shampoo and condition my hair. I thought it was normal and part and parcel of my hair texture. However, once I learnt about shampooing and conditioning in braids I do not have the same problem anymore which is amazing. Again it depends on your hair texture. I think my hair is too delicate for the power of the water from the shower and then weighing it down with the shampoo and conditioner.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Neith

I wash in two sections.

My hair is thick and shrinks a lot. I just want to make sure that I get to every piece of my scalp. :yep:

classychic1908

I haven't tried washing in plaits yet and I'm BSB. I like the feel of the water on my scalp. I haven't noticed that it causes any problems or extra tangling... but who nows I might give it a try.

Oh I need to update my siggy.

countrychickd

So far, I haven't had to wash in sections. I wash just like you Mummy. It's going well so far, but we'll see how it goes once I gain more length.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
For me it's a length thing. the last time i was the length that is in the op's siggy, I was 100% natural and wasn't washing in sections. It wasn't necessary for me at that length. For me, the required techniques change with my length

diva24

I do not wash my hair in sections because of laziness. It would help me in the long run with retention, detangling, etc but I just do not want to.

glamazon386

I don't. I don't get many tangles. Sometimes I detangle in sections afterwards but only if I'm going to plait or twist my hair. I never wash in sections though. I've been natural a little over 3 years now.

dynamic1

I didn't and still don't consistently wash/condition in deliberate sections. I know I should. I cannot do it in braids because if I get them wet, they tangle more and it is hard to pry them open again.

Allandra

The last few times I shampooed my hair, I didn't do it in sections, and it worked out well. I was happily surprised.

Carrie A

I think it's hard to predict but I think it depends on the thickness of your hair. I think I started sectioning during my transition but after I big chopped at 13 months I didn't need to section for a while but then I got more length. Now I section, condition detangle, braid, rinse, wash just my scalp than slap on a little leave in. I think the less dense your hair the less you may need to section.

Chromia

I don't wash my hair in sections. I wash my hair loose without any problems as long as I use the right products. When I had tangles it was because I wasn't using products that detangled well.

Now that I use conditioners (Tresemme), deep conditioners (Pantene mask or Silk Elements Olive Treatment), and a leave-in (Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1) that detangle my hair it's much easier.

Dee Raven

I dont wash in sections, i do detangle now in sections :)

I'm the same. Throughout my journey I've tried different things (loose, 4 sections, 6 sections, in twist, etc) and they've pretty much all worked so I can't say one way works better than another. I will say that if you wash your hair loose with long hair, twisting your hair on top of your head and securing with a hair clip to keep it stretched as much as possible until your ready to detangle helps prevent bad knotting and single strand knots.

Bettina

I'm enjoying that I don't have to wash in sections---I don't have that much hair to deal with and it is fine as well ...now this may change when my hair gets longer but for now I am enjoying my shampoo and co-washing days.:lick::grin:

that_1_grrrl

I don't. I wouldn't be able to do so because I do not have a shower. I have to bend over my bathtub to co-wash. It's a lot easier for me to just was it all at once. After I rinse, I put it in sections immediately.

Rapunzel*

im transitioning and i wash my hair in 2 sections because i choose too. it feels so good to slop a lot of conditioner on the hair and shampoo the scalp only.i like to pay close attention and make sure everything gets moisturized etc.when i was natural i didnt wash in sections, although i did detangle in sections