Any naturals/long term transitioners...

asubeauty

I don't HAVE to wash in sections, but it's easier to detangle when I do it. But it takes longer to wash in sections than leaving it loose.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
For me it's a length thing. the last time i was the length that is in the op's siggy, I was 100% natural and wasn't washing in sections. It wasn't necessary for me at that length. For me, the required techniques change with my length

wanted to add that my relaxed hair has always been prone to tangling so I only used dcs that detangled or made my hair easy to detangle. I always washed in clipped sections.

My relaxed hair has been the challenge so far in this long term transition and washing in plaited sections has helped me to avoid the headache. Before I started this I once spent about 6 hours deknotting my relaxed ends that had become stretchy with dc in it.Detangling under shower doesn't detangle my relaxed hair and I lose hair. I would have to do it with a fine tooth comb. Never again. I prefer rinsing plaits longer to detangling with all of that manipulation from demarcation to tip. Also I am working with fine strands wit a lot of density.