Any Physicians? Aspiring Physician Here!

Discussion in 'Education' started by R.A.A.H, Nov 8, 2017.

1. R.A.A.H

R.A.A.H Member

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

I am very interested in attending medical school. I am currently applying to a post bac program (the one i'm interested in is the SIU Med Prep one because it has linkage to the SIU School of Medicine). I am interested in anesthesiology (I once thought about CRNA school but nvm on that!) and dermatology. I know medicine isn't "what it used to be", and I am currently working on volunteering and shadowing doctors of those specialties. I think my biggest thing right now is understanding how to really study and retain info, and I wanna get this done now while I can.

I know about studentdoc, and there is some good info on there but it's a lot to filter out too (racism/lies about stats/etc).

Thank you!

Godsdaughter001 likes this.
  2. deediamante

deediamante In search of the next vacation

Blog Posts:
    Good luck! Sounds like you have the right foundation/start and shadowing is a good way to get a glimpse of what you are up against. It will also be a great way to talk to docs in your desired field and pick their brains.

Yeah, medicine isn't how it used to be (and I graduated 12 years ago - not THAT long ago - and already see significant change) but if you have that burning desire to practice medicine, don't let anything deter you. It's a very long road but with willpower and strong support you will get to the promise land!!

It's been a while since I studied for anything LOL but I'm guessing your post bac program will be a great resource to know how to prepare and study.

R.A.A.H likes this.
  3. R.A.A.H

R.A.A.H Member

Blog Posts:
    A lot of people say this (medicine ain’t what it used to be), and I wonder why this is it.

4. deediamante

deediamante In search of the next vacation

Blog Posts:
    2 words: Insurance companies

5. Godsdaughter001

Godsdaughter001 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Studying will become your life. Review something everyday. Stay on top of the material. Don't cram or expect to cram, you won't last long in your program. Find a good study group, and stick with them. Before going to med school (undergrad) I didn't see the value in study groups. They are very helpful when in med school - helps to keep you motivated and more importantly, helps to retain information.

I love that you are shadowing docs. Great idea. You are on the right track! Best wishes on your journey :)

6. R.A.A.H

R.A.A.H Member

Blog Posts:
    What a shame ! :(

I can do ok with study groups...I just have to know the material on my own first. And thank you. For some strange reason, they make it so hard to shadow

Godsdaughter001 likes this.