ANY QUESTIONS FOR ME ON THERMAL RECONDITIONING?

Africangal

Hi ladies,
I did not get a response from other ladies who had had thermal reconditioning done, so I am assuming very few have tried it. (could be wrong ?)
I am not a hair care professional . So I will answer questions based on my own experince.
I have used this forum many times for tips when I was both relaxed and natural, so now I thought it time to give back. It may not be much but I'll tell you want I know and experienced. :)

Africangal

WHAT IS THERMAL RECONDITIONING?

Thermal Reconditioning process is based upon the principles of restructuring hair’s protein bonds. The process uses both chemicals and heat to soften the bonds of the hair, reforming the bonds in a straight pattern. The end result is perfectly straight hair. Thioglycolate (Thio) is the base ingredient, it is also the main ingredient found in permanent wave solutions.

Remember the Jeri curl well thio was its main ingredient. It was actually the first time thio was used as a creamy consistency. Prior to that, it was used in a liquid form making difficult to work with.

The difference between thermal reconditioning AKA “Japanese hair straightening”, and Brazilian Keratin Treatment is thermal reconditioning uses heat and a special chemical to restructure the hair bonds permanently. After this procedure, your hair will never be wavy again, only your new growth.

The Brazilian straightening, uses keratin to recondition the follicles of your hair the procedure will eliminate the curl and frizz of your hair, In time, your hair will revert back to it natural form. The Brazilian treatment is not permanent. It usually lasts from 2 to 4 months.
The Brazilian keratin treatment is marketed as begin done on all types of hair, while that is not the case with thermal reconditioning.

thehappyserver

WHAT IS THERMAL RECONDITIONING?

The Brazilian keratin treatment is marketed as begin done on all types of hair, while that is not the case with thermal reconditioning.

So I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but did you have the thermal reconditioning done? If so, did you like the results? How often can you have this done?

Africangal

Not at all.
I did have thermal reconditioning done I have pictures of my before and after on my page. I get re touched every six months. Ideally it should be touched up with at least 2 inches of new growth. Just like a relaxer. I can't afford a pricey re touch every 3 months :).

Africangal

TR straightens your hair so does a relaxer, they both serve the same purpose. I am not sure if I answered your question correctly.
The active ingredient in a relaxer is sodium hydroxide and in TR its Thioglycolate. Two incompatible chemicals when combined together on your hair. The main difference, in a very simplistic way would be after you get your hair relaxed its then styled and you are done.
With a TR after the chemical is applied and washed out like a relaxer they then flat iron your hair taking very small sections at a time. The heat from the flat iron creates a reaction on the hair strand that completes the process. The whole process can take 5 to 6 hours!

PPGbubbles

What are the long term effects of this treatment?

From the pics in the album it looks like this is your first treatment? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Africangal

Well I've had it now for just over a year. I can say that my ends are in great shape! No protective styling or bagging for me. For me my hair is in better condition than when I had a relaxer! There is definitely a great conditioning aspect to it!
God willing I'll be here next year to update you on a 2 year journey.
Happy saabath to all the Adventists out there!

you said your ends are healthy with no protective styling or bagging .... what is your routine? do you have to re-flat iron your hair after every wash ?

Africangal

I am sooo sorry for the late response.
No I dont have to flat iron my hair after every wash.
I just air dry it all the time. If I am going some where special I do my usual air dry. It looks good all time. Because it is so striaght oil is able to travel down the hair shaft every easy so I have to wash it often about 3 times a week or it has a greasy look to it. If I dont wash it by day 4 I can smell my hair and thats not a good thing.

The first 3 months are so easy because my new growth is managable. I wash it about 3 times a week with shampoo and condition it in the shower witha cap for about 5mins. I use my aphrogee 2min and nexus humectruss mixed together with a cap under the dryer about once a month.

Africangal

When I compare my length success with thermal as compared to a relaxer for me, it is the reduction of HEAT. I use very little heat, and because it is so straight and silky it is tangle free which equates to less breakage and less manipulation.
By the way my air dry is simple, I rinse the conditioner out, squeeze out the excess water, dry my hair with a towel finger comb and when it is almost dry I comb it out and that’s it.
If I want some short lived waves I can braid or twist my hair before it’s completely dry over night and then finger comb in the morning. It is so easy.

Africangal

I wish! Trust me I have goggled all my options to try and cut down the price and you can’t. That is if you want good results. Besides the flat ironing process alone would not be fun.
I am really passionate about TR, and my goal is tell as many women about it so we can get more AA salons offering it, and that will lower the price.
I don't own a salon,
I don’t train people on it,
I don’t sell or make hair products,
I don’t do hair,
I don’t know of any coupon codes, ha-ha!
I don’t know who can get you a deal on it and if do know someone please share.

I found something that works great for me and I wanted to share it with you and tell you to ask your stylist to learn how to do it. The more people that know how to do it well will eventually lower the price, making it an option for a lot of women of color. And when your stylist is really good and does not charge an arm and a leg for it, please share their details with the rest of us. I am very disappointed in the makers of these products by not offering it in our community. We have so many different textures of hair in our community.
If you do find an economical way of getting a TR please let us ALL know!

BlkOnyx488

SO this process eliminates the need to use a flat iron or some type of hair smoother after washing?
Interesting I can see how that keeps the hair healthy once the process is done.
How often do get it redone?
what's the cost? Can it be done at home?

When they reapply do they only do it to the roots like a relaxer?

Dove56

I think Zoe Saldana gets this done because her hair is uber curly 3c and it was completely straight when it was wet in Coumbiana, but it didnt look like a relaxer to me.

Dove56

wavezncurlz said:
Is it true that TR is best done on looser textures? What is you hair texture?

I think so, sorta like the BKT, but I sas some videos on Youtube of 4a & b ladies getting it done.

Africangal

I have 4a 4 b hair and it is very dry. It can be done on any hair so my stylist says. The out come is hugly dependent on the capabilities of your stylists skill. Remember the companies who make the stuff say it can't be done on black hair because our hair is so fragile. Vanessa williams has it.

Africangal

Thanks! @ Dove56
I'll apply the chemical and you do the flat ironing, how about that :).

@ leona2025 Seriously though, I had mine done in a salon and it took 8 hours maybe about 6hrs of that give or take was my stylist alone just flat ironing it. If you anyone tries it at home I highly recommend getting extra help with the flat ironing part. Please post your results if you do! If you can find out how to get your hands on lisico or yuko I highly recommend you using one of those products on VIRGIN hair only, if you want great results. If anyone can get either one of those products. PLEASE SHARE.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

Theresamonet

I thought this thread was going to be about heat training. lol.

They sell Japanese hair straightening kits at Sally's. Africangal What is so rigorous about the flat ironing process that you think it would be impractical to do at home?

Oh wow... You have to flat iron your entire head bone straight, wash and then flat iron straight AGAIN. :nono: How is this less damaging than relaxing?

Last edited:

Dove56

Thanks! @ Dove56
I'll apply the chemical and you do the flat ironing, how about that :).

@ leona2025 Seriously though, I had mine done in a salon and it took 8 hours maybe about 6hrs of that give or take was my stylist alone just flat ironing it. If you anyone tries it at home I highly recommend getting extra help with the flat ironing part. Please post your results if you do! If you can find out how to get your hands on lisico or yuko I highly recommend you using one of those products on VIRGIN hair only, if you want great results. If anyone can get either one of those products. PLEASE SHARE.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

Africangal you've got a deal lol. Only if mine can turn out like yours! You hair is beautiful! Natural and straight!:yep:

Last edited:

Dove56

I thought this thread was going to be about heat training. lol.

They sell Japanese hair straightening kits at Sally's. Africangal What is so rigorous about the flat ironing process that you think it would be impractical to do at home?

Oh wow... You have to flat iron your entire head bone straight, wash and then flat iron straight AGAIN. :nono: How is this less damaging than relaxing?

With keratin treatments you have to slide that flaming flatiron up and down your hair 5-10x! :blush:

I'm not sure how it's less damaging than a relaxer other than it supposedly dries straight and you don't need a blowdryer or flatiron like you do with a traditional relaxer. My scalp *hates* lye and no-lye (I have eczema) so traditional perms will NEVER be an option for me. I'm still researching Japanese straighteners though. I might just stick with my keratin treatments. :yep:

leona2025

I like the whole drying straight. I co wash and and airdry 95% of time. That would be awesome, but I am not willing to sacrifice my current length :nono:. From what I can see these treatments need to be done on virgin hair.

Dove56

I like the whole drying straight. I co wash and and airdry 95% of time. That would be awesome, but I am not willing to sacrifice my current length :nono:. From what I can see these treatments need to be done on virgin hair.

leona2025

I saw a lady in CT that does AA hair (Salon is Hairstalent) and she does the treatments on ladies with new growth that have relaxed ends. She only does the new growth to transition them into the TR and out of traditional relaxers. To err on the side of caution I would grow about 4 inches and only do new growth since I have highlights/color. :yep:

leona2025

I have about 4 inches of ng right now. I was going to transition to natural, but ehhh. I changed my mind. I am much to clumsy to be trying to only thermal condition the new growth. Man I just don't know what to do.

Funmiloves

thanks for the feedback, you hair does look fab! You mentioned you've been doing this for over a year - are the pics in your profile from the 1st time you did the thermal reconditioning? Basically, do you have any recent pictures of your hair in it's current state.

I'm really interested in getting this done for my DD - I've already located their London Salon, but will do more research.

Yes, you are right, it is expensive!