Any slow growers out there?

chasturner84

...I'm talking about 3-4" a year slow growth!

I started a journal of my hair progress since my cut in April 2009 and I just realized that I have only had about 2" of growth :look:. I was reading through a couple of threads and saw people who shot from SL to APL in 6-8 months; APL to BSL in 4-8 months, etc. DANG, I'm so jealous! I have accepted my slow growth--3"/yr :rolleyes:--and luckily, I retain most, if not all of my progress. I have learned not to compare my journey to anyone eles's but i was just wondering how many of US are out there?

Do any of you slow growers get discouraged when some people have no problem growing hair quickly?

BlkOnyx488

I am a painfully slow grower
it gets discouraging sometimes. but I keep plugging away because what else can I do.

It's has taken me two years to get to SL and now it seems like my hair growth has stalled

I have started keeping my hair bunned 24/7 and wearing a silk scarf around the clock
so maybe just maybe I will see more progress in 6 months

Last edited:

Dommo

For me, its all about my diet and lifestyle. Last year i had the slowest growth (maybe 4-5 inches) The year before, my hair grew over 8 inches. I remember I was constantly working out, taking my vitamins and flax oil, and drinking alot of water. I have been doing that again for the past month and i already notice a difference.

Its easy for me to notice my hair growth because i dye my hair black so my new growth comes in brown.

mscocoface

I am a slow grower and with shrinkage at 99.9% you can imagine the tormenting days and nights I have gone through.

I feel your pain and understand, but I am always trying to see the positive so looking at this situation with the glass have full I have to add my hair is healthy, thick and in the best shape it has ever been in my life. So even if my hair is more like the tortoise and not the hare (pun intended :yep:) it is still growing.

I may not reach my goal for length in two years, it may take four or five but doggonit I will reach it. POWER TO THE PEOPLE (raises fist in the air!)

chasturner84

For me, it's all about my diet and lifestyle. Last year i had the slowest growth (maybe 4-5 inches) The year before, my hair grew over 8 inches. I remember I was constantly working out, taking my vitamins and flax oil, and drinking alot of water. I have been doing that again for the past month and i already notice a difference.

Its easy for me to notice my hair growth because i dye my hair black so my new growth comes in brown.

8 inches? Wowzers!!!:lick: I can't credit my diet to my slow growth. I'm a pretty healthy eater, however, I don't exercise as much as I once did. Maybe I'll start back up...

What's flax oil good for?

melissa-bee

I haven't really tracked my growth untill recently. But i'm almost 19 weeks post and only have just over an inch of hair.

chasturner84

I am a slow grower and with shrinkage at 99.9% you can imagine the tormenting days and nights I have gone through.

I feel your pain and understand, but I am always trying to see the positive so looking at this situation with the glass have full I have to add my hair is healthy, thick and in the best shape it has ever been in my life. So even if my hair is more like the tortoise and not the hare (pun intended :yep:) it is still growing.

I may not reach my goal for length in two years, it may take four or five but doggonit I will reach it. POWER TO THE PEOPLE (raises fist in the air!)

You're a trooper! I couldn't begin to imagine 99.9% shrinkage. :nono: Good Luck on reaching your goal!

:orders: POWER TO THE PEOPLE (fist also raised in the air)

Dommo

8 inches? Wowzers!!!:lick: I can't credit my diet to my slow growth. I'm a pretty healthy eater, however, I don't exercise as much as I once did. Maybe I'll start back up...

What's flax oil good for?

Working out makes a BIG difference. It contributes significantly to hair growth because the perspiration is getting rid of your damaging toxins, also keeps everything circulating, provides nutrition to the skin (scalp) and is also shown to help balance out hormones which we know has a big effect on our hair growth.

Flax oil is just great all around for your body and health because of the omega 3 fatty acids. It also promotes healthy hair, skin and nails(look it up). I take the organic, unfiltered flax thats high in lignans (wholefoods brand). I just add 1 tbsp to my yogurt everday.

Last edited:

chasturner84

Working out makes a BIG contributes significantly because the perspiration is getting rid of your damaging toxins, also keeps everything circulating, provides nutrition to the skin (scalp) and is also shown to help balance out hormones which we know has a big effect on our hair growth.

Flax oil is just great all around for your body and health because of the omega 3 fatty acids. It also promotes healthy hair, skin and nails(look it up). I take the organic, unfiltered flax thats high in lignans (wholefoods brand). I just add 1 tbsp to my yogurt everday.

Will definitely look it up! Thanks for your help!:yep:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Me!!! And I hate it. I have only gained 4 inches since September of 2008.. Still shoulder length. I should of been on my way to BSL by now

RosesBlack

I'm a slow grower and always have been. My hair grows slowly but steadily. I don't get a lot of growth spurts but I'm happy it's steady growth. It really bothered me when I first started out trying to grow it now I just roll with it. No use in fighting nature and my hair is healthy so I'm thankful.

MonaRae

Another slow grower here! I believe I get about 1/4 inch per month. I am currently 18 week post and I have just over 2 inches on new growth.

I'm ok with the the slow growth but my main concern is retention, which has greatly improved over the last 6 weeks with the help of my good friend Dlewis. She hooked me up with Amla oil and things are going great with my hair.

teacherjess

Slow grower checking in! I've been NL since Sept., still NL and its January. I'm just a longer, thicker NL.
I haven't thrown in the towel, but I've accepted what I've got & I'm working with it. My hair is healthy, at least. APL is my long term goal and i'm giving myself til 2015 :grin:

MizzBrit

i was a slow grower..still am but not that slow as before..every since getting my diet right,exercising,drinking close to a gallon of water daily..my hair has vastly improved

Leesh

Ooo, Ooo,Ooo, Me, over here! LOL, Yes Honey, I get .33 per Month, 1 Inch every 3 Months and 4 Inches a Year, Terrible right, I know, I think about that all the time, I've tried growth aids to optimize my potential and I must say it has worked on several occassions, otherwise I wouldn't use them, but Hey Us Slow Growers need a Boost from Time to Time. I've been told that this can be due to lack of Sulfur in My sysytem, which also includes, brittle nails and dry skin, so it could be valid reasons for this, seeing a Doctor can justify the cause.

chasturner84

My hair grows slowly but steadily. I don't get a lot of growth spurts but I'm happy it's steady growth.

Mine too. I'm cool as long as I keep it healthy.

I believe I get about 1/4 inch per month.

Same here! I was discouraged when I first started, but hey, at least it does grow. :ohwell:

I haven't thrown in the towel, but I've accepted what I've got & I'm working with it. My hair is healthy, at least. APL is my long term goal and i'm giving myself til 2015 :grin:

I hear ya! My BSL/MBL goal is 2012-2013 :yep: Hopefully we both will have growth spurts soon!

...every since getting my diet right,exercising,drinking close to a gallon of water daily..my hair has vastly improved

These seem to be key to all of the long haired ladies

Sade'

Slow grower checking in. I can't get past NL in the front and SL in the back. My growth halts at that point. It's all good b/c I plan on changing this pattern this year. I want my front to grow long and strong. Retention is my issue. I get too excited when I see a little bit of growth then I forget all my protective styles and reggies.
I'm so glad that it's the beginning of the year and we all can start fresh. We need a SG (slow growers) challenge. Lol we need to do all of the above vitamins, prot. styles, hair cocktails, no heat challenges, etc. j/k

SGers UNITE:drunk:!

chasturner84

Slow grower checking in. I can't get past NL in the front and SL in the back. My growth halts at that point. It's all good b/c I plan on changing this pattern this year. I want my front to grow long and strong. Retention is my issue. I get too excited when I see a little bit of growth then I forget all my protective styles and reggies.
I'm so glad that it's the beginning of the year and we all can start fresh. We need a SG (slow growers) challenge. Lol we need to do all of the above vitamins, prot. styles, hair cocktails, no heat challenges, etc. j/k

SGers UNITE:drunk:!

:amen:Girl, you are speaking the truth! I'd jump all over that if something could help me get 0.5" or more a month!!:fan:

lynnstar

(raises hand) Another slow grower checking in :ohwell:

I haven't kept track of how slow my growth rate is in inches but I do know that it has slowed down considerably from a few years ago when I was eating a lot of protein and on a very rigorous exercise regimen. I am working my way back to that and hopefully the growth spurts will begin again and I am able to retain more length.

pringe

slow grower here! So whats with all the talkin? Gonna start it! bUt have NO idea what it will entail! lol

chasturner84

^^^ LOL...it would entail a lot of things: PS, diet, growth aids/vitamins/supps, exercise, water intake, prayers to the high Heavens :lachen::lachen::lachen:

chasturner84

I hear kelp and eggs are good for growth. Just puting it out there.

My stylist told my mom to try kelp when she lost some hair...she hates pills so she never tried it. Maybe I will...and I eat like 8 boiled eggs a week as snacks. :lick: I love eggs!