Anyone 4's have a tender scalp?

Vinyl

If so, how do you comb your hair so that it hurts less? I've had a tender scalp since I was a child. I'd like to do some DIY hairstyles and I figure it'd be a lot easier if I could comb my own hair without it hurting. I'm natural, been in braids/weaves for a few years now.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Bumping for you
I'm not natural but I am tenderheaded and my NG was always way way more difficult to manipulate until I DC'ed often (once or twice a week) and did the majority of my detangling with my hair drenched in conditioner (with slip). I can't do the no cones thing bc of this. I need slip in my life. Maybe some other naturals and tender heads can chime in with suggestions. Also detangle first with a wide tooth comb (like the Jilbere shower comb) then work your way to a smaller toothed comb. HTH!

mscocoface

Miss Tenderheaded USA and I have some of that cottony mass of wonderfulness on my head. It is 4 something but it ain't A. LOL

To top it off I am heavy handed and if I even watch other people combing knots and tangles out of their head I get a headache.

This is my number one issue with my natural hair so I know that I have to block time to do my hair or put it in a protective style that will last a while. The place where I am the most tenderheaded is my front and top. I can make myself cry if I have not comb this stuff out properly with lots of conditioner, water and everything else I can get my hands on.

Even to part, comb, braid, twist, etc YIKES!!! I just brace myself when it is time to do the front of my head because there WILL BE pain even when it is detangled.

I do a lot of prep and try to get through the front of my head as quickly, but as delicately as possible and am ever mindful of may hands and what I am doing.

Wish there was some magical spray I could put on my scalp what would numb it temporarily while I had to style it, but alas, it is part of the journey so embracing it is something I am still learning to do.

My goal is to have tailbone length natural hair one day and I have not even thought of the repercussions of having that length of hair in the front and having to comb it knowing how tenderheaded I am. Won't even go there right now, I will deal with it when I need to.

anon123

it hurts, it huuuurrrts! :cry3:

I can't, and don't and won't, pull a comb all the way through my hair. It has never happened, I want you to understand that. I comb 1/2" sections at a time. For real, you can watch me, how I'll put the brush or comb it and move it down 1/2", then lift it up and out and place it 1/2" down and move it down through the hair another 1/2". Little by little. So. Tangly. So. Painful! But if I hold the hair and do it this way, it usually doesn't hurt much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFZHhMXgHs