Anyone able to nurse their hair back from the dead...

MRJ1972

so to speak??? My hair is not dry, but extremely fragile and weak with no elasticity, so it breaks and pops easy- wash days and detangling are a nightmare, even with the best conditioner.

I am looking for product suggestions from anyone that was able to convert weak and fragile hair, to strong hair?

I am relaxed 4b...I tried JOICO KPAC and Aphoghee , but my hair remains fragile and weak.

Is there something else that I can use to combat this problem?

I have been given some suggestions that include incorporating more protein in my diet and taking vitamins which I am doing, but I still need to find a hair product that can turn my hair around.

**Disclaimer** feel free to refer me to different links if this is a duplicate thread! Thanks :grin:

Last edited:

glamazon386

I did when I first came to the board. Then I bced and chopped all my hair off. :look: I sounds like your moisture/protein balance is off. What helped my fragile relaxed hair was incorporating DCing into my regimen. Back then I used ORS Paks. I tried that hard aphogee once but it didn't really do anything for me hair. The ORS was a light protein and a moisturizing deep treatment so it kind of killed two birds with one stone. It wasn't a strong protein or too harsh. Too much protein can lead to shedding and more problems. After I used the light protein regularly my hair's moisture/protein balance was back on track.

Also getting my hair on a consistent schedule worked wonders. The only way to see definite results is to be consistent with what you're doing. I started washing, dcing and airdrying once a week (Friday was usually my wash day) and after maybe a month or so I noticed a positive change. :yep:

What other products are you using? What is your current regimen? I would suggest you
use a moisturizing shampoo, DC with light protein (until you get your m/p balance together), get a good leave in conditioner and then air dry and wear low manipulation and/or protective styles. That will also cut down on combing and detangling so you're not losing as much hair until it gets stronger.

MRJ1972

I wash and DC every week and wear buns or loose ponytail...When I joined the board in Feb I started using the ORS replenishing pack as a DC but unfortunately I dont remember the results because I became an immediate PJ!!!:perplexed

For the last month, however I have been using Kera Care- shampoo and DC and JOICO KPAK shampoo and DC with Kera Care - alternating weeks...I stopped co-washing because my hair is too weak for that..I also pre-poo with castor oil or coconut oil and one of my cheapie conditioners that I am trying to us up, mainly Garnier Fructis, Length and Strength...

Something is definitely off, in addition my hair is weak and fragile from previously wearing sew ins for 3 years and not taking care of the hair underneath!!!:nono:

When I first joined the board, I established the following regimen- pre-poo with ORS Hair Mayo, shampoo with Kera Care, DC with Kera Care and ORS replenishing pack/or Porosity Control; leave in Infusium 23 and seal with Kera Care Silken Seal, occasional co-wash with cheapie moisturizing conditioner...I still use this regime for my daughter and her hair is doing great because she was suffering from lack of moisture, but I have not been able to determine what will work for me, even though my PJ tendencies have slowed down. :ohwell:

Demi27

When I was having problems, I found out it was because I was using too much protein. I remember people saying it was good to use protein conditioners for a DC, but i wasn't working for me. Then I was reading online and it said if you're not sure if your hair needs protein or moisture, use the moisture for a DC.

So, I started DC regularly (like twice a week) with moisturizing deep condioners. I couldn't use any more protein conditioners for a while because I think I had protein overload. Even light protein did me in.

When I finally got my hair on track, I was able to incorporate protein again.

WesternEyes

My hair was also having many problems over the last year. Between being too porous, too dry, too weak, all kinds of problems. I recently switched over to a no sulfate/no silicone routine. Shampoos were too harsh on my hair and resulted in very dry and tangled hair. Then when I used a conditioner with silicones, my hair seemed to still be dry and lacked moisture. Once I stopped using silicones completely, my hair has made a drastic improvement. So I would say definitely look at the products and ingredients you are using, everyone's hair responds differently.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
My hair was a broken off mess when I started on this forum. When I first started I only used Hairveda products,CON (green), and Giovanni Direct.

Prepoo'd with Vatika Frosting
Washed with CON (green) 1x/wk
Cowashed with Moist 24/7 2x/wk
DC 2x/wk with Sitrinillah or Moist PRO
Protein tx's--Moist PRO, egg, evoo or coconut oil
Giovanni Direct as a leave in
Moisturized with Whipped Baggy Creme
Sealed with Avosoya Oil

All of this stopped all the shedding & breaking. My bathroom floor used to be covered with hair. Also the back is growing slower than the sides but it is growing.

ETA: I rarely used direct heat. My routine has changed over time but what I did initally worked very well for my hair.

Last edited:

Missigirl

First clarify, I like Suave mixed with warm water, then shampoo with Elasta qp moisturizing for permed hair, then deep condition with Elasta qp DPR-11. I only wash and comb my hair once a week.

I would stop using the Infusium 23 and the Kera Care. I use Aphogee 2 min once a month after my monthly clarifying shampoo. Keep it simple use a few products and see what is not working to eliminate the bad product.

I have been there before.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am There Right Now. Trying to Resurrect Da' Dead, and My Hair is in Intensive Care/Critical Condition as a Result of a Terrible Salon Mishap.:wallbash:

I became a DIY back in Feb '09 and Decided to take TOTAL Control Over My Hair/Head.
The First thing I attempted to tackle, was finding my Protein/Moisture Balance because I knew that was off based on the Condition of My Hair. My Hair was dry, weak, brittle, fragile (you name it). And I was a Weekly Client at a "Well Known" Salon. So Go Figure.:perplexed

I also Knew I had terrible Porosity Problems so I attempted to take care of that.:blush:

I Did Alot of Research Here as a Lurker before I joined to Research Exactly "What" My Problems were, by Reading alot of Older Threads of People that Had Similiar Issues. That Helped Tremendously.
:yep:
My Hair is now on the Mend. Although I would not move it up to "Stable" Condition right now. Maybe by the end of Summer. But it is starting to show some progress. It is a Day to Day Process.

And Trust Me, It was/is Baaaaaadddd Shape.:look:

jerseygurl

Not a new member
The ladies have given good advice. Cut out the infusium that's more protein going on your hair. If you haven't already, read Sistaslick's articles and also checkout the stickies for newbies (can't think of the name right now). HTH

Lenee925

I would take it a step further and tell you throw the Infusium23 into the garbage where I think it belongs. When I first joined the board, I was doing everything to make me retain length, which I did quite successfully. However I used Infusium even diluting it 3:1 like I read and it still set me back in a major way. It took a long time to correct the protein overload with clarifying and DCing. Hope I didn't offend any I23 lovers. :hide: