Anyone Blow Dry Once A Week?

pookaloo83

Does anyone blow dry anymore? :lachen: I rollerset a lot. but I'm getting tired of doing this sometimes. So does anyone blow dry once a week or every other week? I'm thinking of rotating weeks of roller setting and blow drying. Is blow drying really damaging to the hair?

pcRN

I blow dry and flat iron my DD hair every 2 weeks. I haven't had any problems with her hair, and I've been doing it for about 6 months. I just make sure to deep condition her hair weekly.

longhairlover

I blow dry once or twice a week, now i've switched from using high heat and high speed to high heat low speed, i've never had any problems with blowdrying as long as I use a heat protectant and good leave ins. ionic dryers are supposedly best to use and the more expensive dryers seem a tad bit better and healthier to use for your hair if your going to blow dry.
I also blow dry with a pic attachment.

sleepflower

I am still figuring out a blow dry regimen. I have not figured out how to keep my hair as soft/moisturised as it is when I air dry. But my hair does not get single strand knots when I blow dry it, I get to keep my coils longer, and the heat slightly loosens my curls to make them more visible among the parts of my hair that do not clump together--I have no clue how to get this while air drying!

Still, I try to do it once a week.

ajacks

I blow dry and flat iron my hair once a week and I haven't had any problems. I agree with longhairlover: use a good heat protectant and quality ionic styling tools.

Mrs.Green

I blow dry once or twice a week, now i've switched from using high heat and high speed to high heat low speed, i've never had any problems with blowdrying as long as I use a heat protectant and good leave ins. ionic dryers are supposedly best to use and the more expensive dryers seem a tad bit better and healthier to use for your hair if your going to blow dry.
I also blow dry with a pic attachment.

:yep: This is what I was going to say~ I blow dry with the wide comb attachment when I don't have the time or feel like roller setting. Just get a good heat protectant and leave in, you'll be fine.

angenoir

Great thread.

Ajacks... how does the speed setting affect or not affect your hair?
I understand the logic of the high/low heat but the what is the logic of the speed?

TIA

Last edited:

cookie1

I had started air drying because I thought the heat would be damaging. Then I read an article someone posted on here about air drying being damaging. I blow dry once a week and haven't had nearly as much damage or breakage as when I was air drying. Moisture and protein balance!

Barbie83

I had started air drying because I thought the heat would be damaging. Then I read an article someone posted on here about air drying being damaging. I blow dry once a week and haven't had nearly as much damage or breakage as when I was air drying. Moisture and protein balance!

can u post a link to the article? Thats really interesting.

leontyneb

I blow dry with a wig brush and flat iron once a week and haven't had any problems. I just washed my hair this past Saturday after 3 weeks. I was just lazy!!

KhandiB

I get like that too, LMAO .. especially after a fresh relaxer, LOL

I blow dry with a wig brush and flat iron once a week and haven't had any problems. I just washed my hair this past Saturday after 3 weeks. I was just lazy!!

longhairlover

Forgot to add I finally purchased a towel for hair duh....and it gets a good amount of the water out, I never blow dry my hair soaking wet, i'm noticing now using the low speed my hair feels 10'x softer than when I use the high speed, only thing is it takes longer since I blow dry smaller sections of hair at a time with the pic attachment, (can't master the brush blow out on myself).

my fave leave in's when blow drying: salerm treatment for ends, it gives your hair excellent slip, I put this in my hair when it's soaking wet and ring it out then apply a lil' bit more of the salerm on my ends towel dry a bit. it's also a heat protectant.

puddin

I blow dry my hair once a week... I blow dry on a low setting first (to get the moisture out)...then I follow up with a higher setting -using the denman brush... I usually do this on sunday nights... I use Chi before blow drying...and I ALWAYS deep condition my hair before all of this takes place...

c*c*chic*

To the ladies who blow dry every week, what heat protectant do u use or recommend? Sorry not to hijack!

jcdlox

I wash DC and blow dry 2X a week; I use Mizani ThermaStrength and Fantasia Heat Protectant. I blow dry gently with comb attachment and low speed.

almondjoi85

My grandmother blow drys her hair once a week. That's basically part of her reggie... she washes and conditions once a week, blow drys, and then uses a curling iron. Her hair is healthy (self relaxed) and growing like crazy. Pictures of her hair are on my blog. I don't want to post a link here.

It's crazy actually, she doesn't do any super long deep conditioning treatments or anything like that. She uses whatever products I have around the house, nothing special.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i blowdry one a week. i use silk elements heat protection spray, and HH LTR leave in on my ends, then blow dry one low. my hair is so soft! i put it in a pony for work and maybe will flatiron at the end of the week. i don't have as much breakage like i did when i was attempting to airdry.

Charz

Sinister Minister
i blowdry one a week. i use silk elements heat protection spray, and HH LTR leave in on my ends, then blow dry one low. my hair is so soft! i put it in a pony for work and maybe will flatiron at the end of the week. i don't have as much breakage like i did when i was attempting to airdry.

Thanks for sharing! Are you natural??

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Just a side note. I used to get breakage when I airdried until I started protecting my ends. I rub a little bit of Herbal Green Tea Butter on my length and ends so the moisture isn't sucked out of my strands.
i'd like to blowdry more often as well. We'll see.

Bachelorette

pookaloo, Im gonna hijack your thread for a min :D

Can anyone recommend an EXCELLENT Blowdryer that makes NG (13+ weeks and up) look nice, soft and smooth" and not all puffy

Thanks!

BrownEyez22

Bumping, I switched to airdrying in late July and my hair has thinned out some. It sticks/tangles together too.

I'm going back to blowdrying. I was using the concentrator end and low/cool heat settings.

MrsSmitty77

When I have a special event, I DC and apply leave in, protectant and allow my hair to air dry half way then I use the dryer on cool and blow dry the rest. Noted, it takes about double the time, but your hair is still very soft and airy and has lots of body when you flat iron. The last time I did it, I did not shed 1 hair not 1. *If your blow dryer does not have a cool setting it may have a hold button, so what you do is as soon as you turn it on press the hold button and it will not get hot.*