Anyone CWC (condition-wash-condition) regularly?

Artemis

I am thinking of doing this cleansing method now that it is starting cool down outside. I have lots of conditioners to use up in this manner, and hope that it (along w/some internal changes I'm making) will take care of any dry/itchy scalp issues that I might get during the winter...I knew of a couple of LHCF-ers who CWC, but don't really see them around here often to ask a/b their regimens...:ohwell:

Soooooooo, anyone use this method?
How do (and your hair) like this?
What do you use/what's your method, if it varies?
How often do you CWC?

TIA :D

Oh, for those that aren't familiar with CWC, here's the full article and link from LHC:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6582

Written by Martine March 16, 2002

CWC means "Condition, Wash, Condition"

This is a method I came up with to help my hair grow longer since long hair has different needs than shorter hair:

The CWC Method

1. Wet hair, apply conditioner allover except scalp unless dry
2. Apply shampoo to scalp and head area with conditioner still on the hair
length
3. Rinse shampoo and conditioner out at the same time
4. Condition a final time
5. Rinse

Practically, you can apply the conditioner when you first get into the shower and leave it on to deep condition while you do your regular shower routine. Then shampoo at the end of your shower.

You can do whatever variations suit you such as holding the length out and backing your head under the showerspray to rinse the shampoo out if you plan to shampoo twice for example. If your scalp is dry you could apply the conditioner to the scalp as well as the length before you shampoo (provided you have a conditioner that can be used on the scalp). The final conditioning is optional but I think it is good to do to ensure you cover any demanding areas that may have been missed or that the shampoo disturbed as it was rinsed out.

You would use this method on most washing days but skip the first conditioning whenever you felt the length needed a complete cleaning. The conditioner DOES clean hair so you can do this as many times as your hair feels good continuing with it. Some buildup will occur but build-up of conditioning ingredients can be protective.

When my hair was bralength was the time when I began to find it difficult to have long hair. The length just got so tangly no matter how I washed. Since then it's been one experiment after another with many successes and many failures. I think this method will help others who experience problems finding the right products.

Usually the problem is finding a shampoo that isn't too drying for the hair but works well on an oilier scalp. I think this method will work to improve the performance of your products, whether they are standard synthetic products or natural ones.

Martine

Last edited:

Royal Glory

I prepoo, wash, condition nearly every time I wash...which is twice a week, unless I don't have as much time. In that case, I skip the prepoo.

I pre condition with Ojon restorative treatment, then shampoo and condition once a week. Or use Frederikk Fakai's Shea butter hair mask as a prepoo and then shampoo and condition. Or sometimes, I prepoo with coconut oil or hot EVOO oil treatment.

Artemis

Whats up girl! I will partner up with you on this one if you like. :yep:

Cool! I need to start using stuff up, and this seems like a great way to do it. I'm thinking I'll try using my Garnier for the 1st C and my Joico Moisture Recovery for the W and the 2nd C...

Artemis

I prepoo, wash, condition nearly every time I wash...which is twice a week, unless I don't have as much time. In that case, I skip the prepoo.

I pre condition with Ojon restorative treatment, then shampoo and condition once a week. Or use Frederikk Fakai's Shea butter hair mask as a prepoo and then shampoo and condition. Or sometimes, I prepoo with coconut oil or hot EVOO oil treatment.

Thanks for your reply :)

Are you letting the Ojon sit for a while, or just a few minutes? And is it all over the hair and scalp, or are you just applying it to the length?

I don't really consider this to be a pre-poo b/c I won't be applying to the scalp or for a long time (just as long as I'm in the shower washing), but if this counts as a pre-poo, then cool beans :D

Thanks!

gymfreak336

Cool! I need to start using stuff up, and this seems like a great way to do it. I'm thinking I'll try using my Garnier for the 1st C and my Joico Moisture Recovery for the W and the 2nd C...

I got tons of vo5 to use up. I will use vo5 for the first C and alternate between ors replenishing and pantene mask for the 2nd C.

Artemis

Ok, well I am sitting under the dryer now, so I guess I can go ahead and give my initial impression of CWC...

It's really nice :D

Basically, I rinsed my hair thoroughly, applied Garnier length/strength conditioner to the length and ends, then immediately applied Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo to my scalp and roots. After massaging the scalp I bit, I rinsed both products out thoroughly. (I applied globs of Garnier to my ends until they were squishy, lol.)
Out of habit, I shampoo'd again (with more Garnier on the ends) and then I applied Joico MC conditioner. Then I rinsed out for a final time. I didn't feel like I needed to apply a leave-in, but I did apply my standard Joico K-pak Leave-in Protectant foam. Then I proceeded to rollerset. I got the set done very quickly :D

When I am dry, I'm going to blow out my roots, apply some Vatika Oil (back in my rotation on a nightly basis) and then wrap for bed. I have a feeling my ends will be just fine until my next wash day :yay: My wet hair felt soft and slippery and I didn't have to constantly re-wet the sections when I was putting the rollers in. I do think that next time I will apply a serum, as I have a few texlaxed areas that tried to tangle :ohwell:

Overall, I think this could be a good technique for those that want to protect their hair in the shower prior to a shampoo, but don't have time to wait (like in a formal "pre-poo" scenario). I am such a sucker for shampoos (I own like 8 or so) I honestly don't know how often I'll do it. I usually use Joico's Daily Care Treatment Shampoo, followed by whatever moisturizing 'poo I feel like, and then condition...Creature of habit, you see. I do think I will give it another shot on another wash day, though.

noegirl05

Okay so I do this ALL.THE.TIME! I mean like every other day as I usually go wash n go! I have a 3b/3c hair type and I usually use coconut oil OR ORS hair mayo as my pre poo then shampoo then use another conditioner like avocado... I find that if I don't pre poo then my hair feels more crunchy! If that makes sense:spinning:

Brownie518

I always start off with some sort of prepoo, either oils, oils and conditioners, conditioners, or some other combo that might include proteins, silks, marine collagen, or something. Whether I am washing or cowashing, I always start with some sort of conditioning. That is one of the first ideas I got from this Board and it immediately helped me increase my moisture level and helped get rid of my severely dry scalp. I don't shampoo as often as I used to, but if I do I will definitely use this method.

Artemis

Thanks for your replies ladies :D

It's the next day, and my hair is soooo soft, but I feel so weird b/c I didn't have to deep condition or anything; on the other hand, I do feel like I did too much in the shower. I think I am going to stick to my regular regimen, as it's simple and it works...But this was a nice experiment. My hair is fine and I don't want to over condition it, nor do I want to freak my scalp out. I've been oiling my hair a lot lately (Vatika :lick:) so I'm just going to pre-poo (OWC) with that on my 2nd wash day and stick to my regular WCC method on wash day #1.

Artemis

Bump!

I've been really concerned with my ends lately. Nothing's been going on...but I just want my ends to stay as "new" as they can be as they get older...so I tried this again...I am in LOVE!! I used all Joico products (of course!) and I've got softness and bling that is just amazing.

Gonna try to figure out how to incorporate this into my reggie and still K.I.S.S. :yep:

Healthb4Length

I like doing this from time to time. It's really beneficial for my hair, it goes by so many names Fusion wash, CWC aka Prepooing-it's all good. I just have to be careful and really wash my scalp well so that I don't have the itches and make sure that I use a clarifying poo once in a while to get rid of build up.

Artemis

I like doing this from time to time. It's really beneficial for my hair, it goes by so many names Fusion wash, CWC aka Prepooing-it's all good. I just have to be careful and really wash my scalp well so that I don't have the itches and make sure that I use a clarifying poo once in a while to get rid of build up.

Yeah, any conditioner on my scalp period gets me itchy. I find that as long as I apply the conditioner to my length only (from the ears down) I don't have that problem.

Isn't pre-pooing applying the product to dry hair allover, and letting it sit for a certain length of time? Or am I confused? There are so many methods out there, y'know?? Can't keep 'em straight...:spinning: