Anyone do their own Kinky Twists????

angellazette

Hey ladies, I've been thinking about getting kinky twists and I would really like to do them myself! I just read in another thread that the recommended hair is Marley Kinky hair or something like that.

For those that have done it, how long does it take you? Also, please provide any step by step photos or advice/tips/etc. Anything that'll help me through the process is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

beyondcute

Yeah I did my own and the hair is called Marley hair. Theyre in my fotki http://public.fotki.com/Beyondcute/

Its int he hair folder and the password is finally. There arent any instructions, sorry. I can tell you how though. Part the hair and put a little Elasta qp glaaze on your hair. Emphasis on a little. Then add the Marley hair just like regular extentions. Braid down about half an inch (less if its in the front) and then start twisting. BUT here's the tricky part, when you are twisting you must also twist the hair so it will form a rope. If you want them to be smooth then you must keep your hands taut. If you want them to look kinky then you dont have to worry about them looking too perfect and you dont have to hold your hands too tight. Rod the ends (2 inches and I use the red rollers) and dip in boiling water (please be careful!!!) and dry them.

angellazette

Yours look REALLY good, my goodness it looks a bit hard, maybe I'll just buy a pack and practice for a while before I attempt to do a whole head. I'm not sure if I get the tricky part though.

Last edited:
J

JenniferMD

I believe londondiva did her own kinky twist too, but maybe I'm wrong. I know someone else did though....i'll check and get back with you

IrisDaVirus

I ordered the Kinky Twist video from the Braids by Breslin site a few months ago. I've gotten the hang of doing them but I still have trouble with the back of my head. Too bad I do a much better job on friend's niece's hair than my own. :lol:

balisi

I bought the BBB DVD about a month ago for the purpose of doing my own kinky twists (totally inspired by LondonDiva), but alas, I am having a hard time locating the Marley hair from Sensationnel. Two of the stores I visited don't even carry Sensationnel products! :confused: For experimentation only, I bought one pack of twist hair that the BSS said was for twists but it was terrible! Anyway, the Sensationnel website has a store locator feature, so I continue on my quest.

MJ

Be careful with kinky twist hair. I used the sensationnal and it felt good while doing it: rough but soft. My style only last two weeks because I don't know how to do it tight enough... but what happened afterward is what hurts.

When I put my hair into the twists, I was 11 weeks post relaxer. My hair was in great shape. I still able to get smooth buns without heat and my hair was holding moisture and shine longer. But I wanted a break from the standard bun routine.

With the kinky twists, I moisturized everyday, shampooed with very diluted shampoo (twice), and condition with diluted conditioner (three times) during those two weeks. So I knew something was very wrong when I started to take the twists out and my hair was bone dry. My hair was soo dry I had to wet the kinky twists in the shower in order to be able to take them down AND comb my hair out afterwards.

So I carefull comb my hair out to take out all the shedded hair and wash the next day without any problems. I thought that was the end of the scare. After two days my hair still felt too dry and hard to comb so I did an amla oil treatment, which soften the hair and made it easy comb. But I still needed more moisure. So on Friday night I did a intensive conditioner treatment combining the amla oil (slip and detangling) with the molasses conditioner (strength and some moisture). Well that worked great and I felt good about my hair, until I noticed on Saturday morning, the first time I actually took time to look at the ends of my hair, that I had spilt ends in the likes I had not seen since I started to take care of my hair in December 2003.

I spent 1 hour and 25 minutes, nonstop, cutting splits individually from just the front section of my hair alone. I had 1" long splits, splits in the middle of the hair, hair strands with 2-5 splits along the strand, strands that were healthy at the top and bottom, but 4" up from the bottom there is a split in the middle of the hair, strands that looked as if something chewed it. It was awful. I know that my hair wasn't like that before I did the kinky twist. I am amazed that all that could happened in two weeks. I didn't even check the back and sides, but I know that a 1" or 2" trims won't get rid of all these splits because my hair isn't even and the splits are at various length.

So this is another set back, but I'm still going to continue stretching until 22 weeks. My hair grows slow and I don't think I have enough newgrowth to get a touch up without overlapping. I have 1" (side edges) - 1.5" (crown area) stretched. For some reason though I'm pretty happy and I'm just seeing this as another learning experience.

I've decided to try wigs as a protective style. I'm going to update my album within the weeks to show how I am going about it.

Sorry for the long post ya'll...

angellazette

No...thanks for the post! I don't want to get them if they'll cause damage even after moisturizing regularly. I may as well do them on my own hair, even though it'll be shorter...

MJ

angellazette said:
No...thanks for the post! I don't want to get them if they'll cause damage even after moisturizing regularly. I may as well do them on my own hair, even though it'll be shorter...

No prob. Note though, I'm just one person, maybe others had positive experiences. Londondiva did some as well, maybe you could pm her and ask her how it's going thus far...

MJ

gorgeoushair said:
Can't you use another type of hair?

Yes, kanakelon and toykalon(spelling?) can be used but they don't have the same look and the ends have to be burnt or sealed or tied to prevent them from unravelling. But I've seen ladies with that style and it looks good. If I ever do twists again, I'd used these fibers.