Anyone else have perpetually wet hair and is that bad?

sareca

I have texturizer (go Phyto) :clap: and I wet style or bun my hair daily. I cowash every other day and poo every 3 days. Anyway, my hair rarely dries completely. Does anyone else have perpetually wet hair? My stylists said it was bad for my hair to be damp all the time. When dry (rollerset) it looks great, but I still wonder if she's right. :confused:

sareca

After using MTG everyday I'd welcome mildew! :lachen: In all seriousness, cowashes every other day keeps it pretty odorfree.

Queenie

I wonder about this a lot. :scratchch That's part of why I won't doing the daily wash thing after next week.

lisajames96

For the past 2 weeks i have kept my hair wet everyday and with virtually no product in it. I have no mildew or odor during the day. I would be surprised to hear from someone who did. I think if you have scalp problems all day moisture(water) may cause odor though. But on a healthy scalp, and clean hair you shouldn't have a problem. hth
-lisa

sareca

Awww come on ladies, I know it's not just me and lisajames96. Somebody else is heat shy and hydrophilic.

jaiku

I have had natural hair for ten years and its only been dry maybe a year during this time. I rinse my hair everyday and walk around all day with damp hair even during the winter. And I never wear hats. My hair didn't break from it, freeze or mildew. And I think it helps prevent scalp itch!

Shalilac

sareca said:
I have texturizer (go Phyto) :clap: and I wet style or bun my hair daily. I cowash every other day and poo every 3 days. Anyway, my hair rarely dries completely. Does anyone else have perpetually wet hair? My stylists said it was bad for my hair to be damp all the time. When dry (rollerset) it looks great, but I still wonder if she's right. :confused:
I don't think your hairstylists was talking about your hair mildewing. Having your hair wet all the time is bad for your hair if you are manipulating it. Our hair looses alot of elasticity when wet (you can stretch it alot more). So if you are styling your hair when wet (ponytails, tight buns; wet sets r ok) you could be stretching your hair to the point of breakage. I'm sure that's what she's talkin' about! HTH

ChocoKitty

During my summer routine my hair would never dry completely. I never had any problems with breakages or anything unless I tried to manipulate it too much.

SqrpioQutie

i'd love to offer some wisdom but my hair dries by noon (i co wash daily) so i haven't really experienced wet hair all day... but i think that that's because i wear it out, and most of the people that i know who have this problem start with wet hair and then put it in a bun or something which keeps it from drying... if you're washing often, i can't see where it would hurt it (unless you're doing extreme stuff to it while it's wet)...

shoelover1972

Shalilac said:
I don't think your hairstylists was talking about your hair mildewing. Having your hair wet all the time is bad for your hair if you are manipulating it. Our hair looses alot of elasticity when wet (you can stretch it alot more). So if you are styling your hair when wet (ponytails, tight buns; wet sets r ok) you could be stretching your hair to the point of breakage. I'm sure that's what she's talkin' about! HTH

ITA with Shallic
Also if you are CW / shampooing / rinsing etc frequently then IMHO I don't think you will get mildrew as you are keeping your hair clean.

sareca

Shalilac said:

True dat, true dat. I hadn't thought about stretch. :scratchch It does take more work to detangle when wet. I've only been detangling on poo days, but I'm probably pulling more than I should on pony or bun days. :ohwell:

Cichelle

My hair has been wet/damp for weeks. I cowash daily. I've never had a problem with mildew or mold or any strange smells. There is no breakage, and I actually put it up while it is wet...just not too tightly.

brazenxvirtue

My hair *rarely* dries all the way through. At least airdrying. So staying away from heat for me means that some part of my hair is wet for at least 2 days. But with daily conditioner washes and low manipulation, I haven't seen any adverse effects at all. In fact, my hair constantly smells like conditioner... and I use aromatic organic ones a lot, so that makes me happy. :D

If you're not having a problem, I wouldn't worry. ;)

ADB

I've been rinsing my hair everyday and doing CO washes for a year now. I have had nothing but benefits from it. I no longer have really bad dandruff or a itchy scalp, my hair is not dry and brittle anymore, and I have a lot more shine to my hair. When I was going to a stylist she once told me that my hair was growing a lot and looked and felt very healthy, so I told her I was doing rinses everyday and she said I shouldn’t do that because it's not good for my hair. If I had told her I was doing rinses first she probably wouldn’t have complimented.

foxybrownsugar

staying hydrated has done wonders for my scalp (i.e. no more dandruff/flakes) and hair (i.e. no more dry thristy ends). I will never give up the H20. Bring on the AGUA! :D

sareca

foxybrownsugar said:
staying hydrated has done wonders for my scalp (i.e. no more dandruff/flakes) and hair (i.e. no more dry thristy ends). I will never give up the H20. Bring on the AGUA! :D

lol, you so crazzzy :lol:

imstush

I actually have this problem (i've already started getting sick because the weather is changing). I wanted to do the no heat thing, but I had to bread down and buy a diffuser. Even with the diffuser (I don't dry 100%), my hair is still damp for hours (sometimes days). What do you do in the winter time? I am thinking about going to the dominican's for the winter.

mommatide

I JUST WASH, CON, AND WET SET. I CAN NOT SLEEP WITH MY HAIR WET. DON'T KNOW WHY, MAYBE SOME GENETIC DEFECT, BUT I JUST CANT. I HAVE TRIED AIRDRYING, BUT NO MATTER WHAT I PUT ON MY HAIR, IT STILL FEELS DRY, AND WET SETTING DOES NOT CAUSE MY HAIR TO FEEL DRY LIKE AIRDRYING DOES. I DONT KNOW IF HAVING WET HAIR ALL THE TIME IS BAD, NEVER HEARD THAT FROM ANYONE EITHER.