Anyone else having trouble with Fotki and popups?

melodies815

I noticed yesterday that when I go to some pages on Fotki, I get this message: "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" It will come up at a random time when clicking through the hair pictures. When I look at the bottom of my screen to see what is loading, all these sites go across the bottom page where it normally says, "Loading www.google.com" or whatever site you are trying to navigate to. Instead of naming one page I have chosen (which should be the next picture), it names 10-15 commercial sites I have not chosen...all of them about to load if I try to get away from Fotki.

Because of paranoia, I always ctrl+alt+del immediately and end all my web browsing. Who knows if I press "OK" and then I have a virus on my computer and lose everything on it?? It's not worth it to press "OK" to me. So...it just happened again and I wondered if anyone else is experiencing trouble with Fotki or is it just me?

The popups are always ads for food or electronics or gambling or something else random like that.

It's disturbing.

cj

Natural Glow

I haven't been on fotki in a while but I know I did get a virus from that site maybe a year ago. I think I accidentally clicked on one of those ads and it was a wrap. It took like 2 anti virus programs and a spyware/adware program to get that crap off. :wallbash:

Now I use Firefox with adblock and popup blocker so when I do go on there I don't see many ads or popups.

adf23

^^^^^ :yep::wallbash:

I was about to say the same thing- a few months ago, I was in someone's fotki and got a virus. I don't understand why it happens but my sister said the same thing happened to her.

Fine 4s

Some strang things have happened to me too on Fotki. I just don't click on anything and still when they happens, I just exit out with a quickness. As a result, I don't visit Fotki much...

MJ

Yes. I've gotten those pop up messages and viruses from Fotki. Now, I'm very careful when I'm on Fotki.

Aggie

I haven't gotten any popups or viruses from fotki but then again, I rarely visit it like I used to. I don't do much on it like before and most of my albums have not been updated. I usually create an update album every quarter and I haven't been doing that this year. I kinda lost the desire to do so after they took away so many features in an attempt to force us to pay for it.

tocktick

I use Firefox 3.5 and installed AdBlock Plus. It automatically blocks the most common URLs that put out online advertisements. So now I never see ads on Fotki. Also, you can choose to block other ads that slip through the net (or huuuge siggies :look:). I thik ABP is now available for Google Chrome too.

Last edited:

tbaby_8

Does anyone know of another site to use for posting your hair photos and keeping a journal of your hair journey?:ohwell:

Creatividual

Yes. I've gotten those pop up messages and viruses from Fotki. Now, I'm very careful when I'm on Fotki.

This happened to me too. Just the other day I was on fotki and it was trying to download something so I immediately x'd out of everything. I did get some kind of virus but my anti virus software got rid of it. I also am now very careful when I'm on there.

Creatividual

I haven't gotten any popups or viruses from fotki but then again, I rarely visit it like I used to. I don't do much on it like before and most of my albums have not been updated. I usually create an update album every quarter and I haven't been doing that this year. I kinda lost the desire to do so after they took away so many features in an attempt to force us to pay for it.

I feel you on the bolded. Next thing you know you're not going to be able to upload pictures anymore unless you pay. I might be leaving there.

melodies815

tbaby_8, I use Google's Picasa now. I like it a lot, but because I had gotten used to Fotki, getting used to Picasa is taking time. Slowly, but surely I am getting there. I am sure that I will love it after I get the hang of everything. It's no more difficult than anything else out there, and it has some really nice options as well.

Thanks for your responses. The funny thing is that I never clicked on a single ad. I never do. They are soooo aggravating. All I did was click on a hair pic to take me to the next hair pic. Then...all these ads start trying to load!!

You should have seen how fast I moved to ctrl+alt+del to shut my browser down!!! I have Firefox as well. Maybe that's the only reason I didn't get a virus. I have never had one, and I hope I never will.

Out of curiosity, what are the other picture hosting sites that people use that are really user friendly like Fotki used to be? All I know is Picasa

cj