Anyone Else Not Care For Sheamoisture Products?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Like the Purification Hair Masque (which has been primarily discontinued). I had a jar of the JBCO Masque that I used as a Pre-Poo on dry hair and it was decent, but I never repurchased.

I have a Manuka Honey Masque that I still haven't tried. Other than that, I have no interest to really explore this line.

I tried the Anti-Breakage very early in my HHJ, but could not tolerate the scent. Way too perfumey.

It's just not a line I'm interested in. I was purchasing their Body Wash/Shower Gel(s), but noticed the last time I purchased, they are not as sudsy or fragranceful as they once were.

faithVA

I liked the hair color :look: I started out with the curl enhancing smoothie. Don't remember what happened but I think I gave it away. Then I met a lady at the salon that said she used it. Her hair looked fabulous. So of course I bought another jar. Then a close friend was using it with great success. So I tried it again. I found that I have to add a lot of oils to the smoothie to break it down because it is just too heavy for my hair. I know quite a few women who it works well for. It's just not me.

Then I tried a few more products which I don't remember.I got the shampoo, conditioner and elixir with the color kit. I also tried the black masque? Not sure.

The products are just too heavy for my hair. Shea Butter is too heavy for my hair. Of course I feel tempted to try the new lines but my instinct tells me to leave it alone. So far I have.

sparkle25

Me! Too much
Like the Purification Hair Masque (which has been primarily discontinued). I had a jar of the JBCO Masque that I used as a Pre-Poo on dry hair and it was decent, but I never repurchased.

I have a Manuka Honey Masque that I still haven't tried. Other than that, I have no interest to really explore this line.

I tried the Anti-Breakage very early in my HHJ, but could not tolerate the scent. Way too perfumey.

It's just not a line I'm interested in. I was purchasing their Body Wash/Shower Gel(s), but noticed the last time I purchased, they are not as sudsy or fragranceful as they once were.

I do like some of their baby body washes but now that you mention it, one was definitely more sudsy than the other...

CodeRed

I liked them at first and I was so happy to support them but as time went on their products overall seemed to dry my hair out... Not a long amount of time, I mean like months of usage. Then I tried to use the shampoos and other products because I thought that maybe everything would work better together but that definitely did not help because their shampoos did not get anything clean. I just stopped trying a few weeks ago.

PJaye

I've only just begun to sample a few of their masks/DCs, and I've received good results from them. I'm not even remotely interested in any of their shampoos, cleansers, rinse out conditioners, styling products, or bath and body products.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
The Manuka Honey was a fail. Another item I tried gave me a major headache, can't remember which now. I love the Coconut and Hibiscus line. I haven't desired to try anything else. However, based on the below, I might consider trying a few other things.

The low porosity leave in is amazing for my hair.

The african black masque was awesome. The High porosity masque is good. The superfruit masque is good.

The curling gel is amazing as a moisturizer under any styler. Little bit goes a long way.

I like the leave ins and masques.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I can't understand Shea Moisture. The scenting is so . . . not smart.

That said, I will EVER be grateful they produced their hipo masque and marketed as such: Otherwise I wouldn't have ever trialed it. I thank God above every wash day that it doesn't smell like some of their other crazy-smelling products.

Based on a recommendation/tip, I cocktail the curl enhancing smoothie with gel, and that does pretty well.

I have given up on the hair products, otherwise.

I love their CC cream. I love one of their body lotions. The body washes perform well and I like the ingredients. I love the face moisturizer I have. Most of the bar soaps I've tried are nice. Their acne line is good for my skin the infrequent times I can make use of it.

sparkle25

I can't understand Shea Moisture. The scenting is so . . . not smart.

That said, I will EVER be grateful they produced their hipo masque and marketed as such: Otherwise I wouldn't have ever trialed it. I thank God above every wash day that it doesn't smell like some of their other crazy-smelling products.

Based on a recommendation/tip, I cocktail the curl enhancing smoothie with gel, and that does pretty well.

I have given up on the hair products, otherwise.

I love their CC cream. I love one of their body lotions. The body washes perform well and I like the ingredients. I love the face moisturizer I have. Most of the bar soaps I've tried are nice. Their acne line is good for my skin the infrequent times I can make use of it.
Im glad it's just not me and my freakish nose that think their scents are out of control.

I didn't even know they had skin care either! I won't be trying it but good to know!

Lissa0821

I absolutely hated this line, and I am convinced with all the different lines of hair products. The same base is used for all the products ,the only difference is the fragrance of each line. I could be wrong but that is how I look at it.

bydebra

Shea Moisture products work well for me. I used the Jamaican Black Castor Oil line when I was transitioning. Now, I use their deep conditioners a lot. I like the Manuka Honey and Sacha Inchi Oil lines the best.

I was never a fan of the pink Coconut/Hibiscus line, but it smells great.

Kurlee

Im glad it's just not me and my freakish nose that think their scents are out of control.

I didn't even know they had skin care either! I won't be trying it but good to know!
Some of them (the black label and professional line) have made me physically sick. I would prefer that they use essential oils or nothing at all.

niknakmac

I enjoy SM products and use them regualary on myself and DD. We use the shea butter, castor oil, superfruit and manuka honey lines on our 4b-c hair. I hated the hibiscus smoothie at first but once I figured out how to use it I loved it. A little goes a long way with that product. I find them reasonbly priced and I like that I can walk into a store and pick them up.

Last edited:

bydebra

I enjoy SM products and use them regualary on myself and DD. We use the shea butter, castor oil, superfruit and manuka honey lines on our 4b-c hair. I hated the hibiscus smoothie at first but once I figured out how to use it I loved it. A little goes a long way with that product. I find them reasonbly priced and I like that I can walk into a store and pick them up.

That's a big factor for me, too - convenience!

gemruby41

The only shampoo that doesn't tangle my hair is the African Water Mint. The JBCO shampoo matted my hair so bad. I also tried the 10 in 1, Manuka Honey, and the Raw Shea Butter shampoo. All of them tangled my hair, and made it dry.

As for the masks, the only ones that were ok are the Manuka Honey and JBCO. I can only use the masks as pre poos. When I use them after shampoo, I get no slip and lots of tangles. The 10 in 1 made my hair feel like protein overload. The Sacha Inchi didn't have a great smell, and was not that moisturizing. The High Porosity mask had no slip, and made my hair dry.

The rinse out conditioners are also a no go for me. I only had luck with the Low Porosity Conditioner, but because glycerin is high on the list it makes my hair frizzy. I tried the Raw Shea Butter, 10 in 1, Manuka Honey, JBCO, and African Water Mint. All of them provided no slip and no moisture.

I hate the fact that protein, glycerin, and aloe vera is in almost all the hair products.

beingofserenity

They work well for me probably because my hair really lokes the ingredients they're high in like shea butter and glycerine. Those are ingredients I specifically look for in anything I try.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
the old purification mask was great. my hair likes their shampoos for the 2nd wash after a 1sr stronger shampooing. they don't clean well alone.

styling products are terrible.

conditioners are hit or miss.

ETA. extremely allergic to their body products and soaps minus the pink label bar soap. the rest gives me hives.

makes me wonder what ingredients they aren't claiming on the labels.

Last edited:

Alta Angel

Welp, I love their products and use them for myself and my daughters. The products work well in our hair and they are convenient and reasonably priced. I have tried As I Am, Carol's Daughter, and many other product lines, but always come back to SM.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
The only shampoo that doesn't tangle my hair is the African Water Mint. The JBCO shampoo matted my hair so bad. I also tried the 10 in 1, Manuka Honey, and the Raw Shea Butter shampoo. All of them tangled my hair, and made it dry.

As for the masks, the only ones that were ok are the Manuka Honey and JBCO. I can only use the masks as pre poos. When I use them after shampoo, I get no slip and lots of tangles. The 10 in 1 made my hair feel like protein overload. The Sacha Inchi didn't have a great smell, and was not that moisturizing. The High Porosity mask had no slip, and made my hair dry.

The rinse out conditioners are also a no go for me. I only had luck with the Low Porosity Conditioner, but because glycerin is high on the list it makes my hair frizzy. I tried the Raw Shea Butter, 10 in 1, Manuka Honey, JBCO, and African Water Mint. All of them provided no slip and no moisture.

I hate the fact that protein, glycerin, and aloe vera is in almost all the hair products.

The 10-in-1 mask had the WORST effect on my hair: It increased the shrinkage percentage of my hair semi-permanently. Drew my hair up something FIERCE. Nothing but time worked to return my shrinkage percentage back to normal. It was a really weird experience.

Did you try steaming in the hipo masque? I apply it, let the shower steam have at it for about 5 minutes, and my hair is SO softened and manageable. It's like my emergency treatment if I have a nest of tangles/shrinkage. It's funny how different all of our hair is and how differently all our hair reacts to products! :smile:

gemruby41

The 10-in-1 mask had the WORST effect on my hair: It increased the shrinkage percentage of my hair semi-permanently. Drew my hair up something FIERCE. Nothing but time worked to return my shrinkage percentage back to normal. It was a really weird experience.

Did you try steaming in the hipo masque? I apply it, let the shower steam have at it for about 5 minutes, and my hair is SO softened and manageable. It's like my emergency treatment if I have a nest of tangles/shrinkage. It's funny how different all of our hair is and how differently all our hair reacts to products! :smile:
I think the apple cider vinegar in it, made my hair tangled. The co wash did the same thing.