Anyone Else Not Care For Sheamoisture Products?

chelleyrock

The manuka honey deep treatment and low porosity leave in are the only one's that work for me. Everything else seems to contain coconut oil, which drys my hair out.

vevster

What do their products smell like? I've been really wanting to try them.

First off, let me say their products work well....... The Milk conditioner smells like condensed milk and cloves.

The avocado smells odd... can't describe, but I'm not crazy. Neither scents are bad enough for me to stop using them. I know folks are sensitive. I'm reading about folks gagging using shea moisture and I have never gagged using their stuff.

prettyinpurple

I like the shampoo from the Superfruit line. The scents of some of the other lines are nauseating, I agree.

I might try the Low Poo line if the smell agrees with me.

I can't remember the scent of the Alikay Naturals line. But the packaging doesn't looks great at Target and the products always look like they're separating. I also don't like the scent of the pink line from Camille Rose. I like the blue line (coconut water) so far the scent is not strong.

Curls&Justice417

First off, let me say their products work well....... The Milk conditioner smells like condensed milk and cloves.

The avocado smells odd... can't describe, but I'm not crazy. Neither scents are bad enough for me to stop using them. I know folks are sensitive. I'm reading about folks gagging using shea moisture and I have never gagged using their stuff.

Ohhh yeah I think it might have been you that mentioned that to me, the cloves and milk thing. The lemongrass leave in and avocado mask is what I really want try. I'm glad you mentioned the cloves thing because that is the one smell that I can not stand whatsoever lol.

I didn't know so many folks found shea moisture so offensive. The scents are strong but the only stinky one I've come across is the JBCO line. Smells like peppermint play doh lol but the scent is light enough that I'm willing to get past that if it works lol

LiLi

I tried a few of the products that everyone raved about but they did nothing for me and I didn't like the smell of their products.

sparkle25

What do their products smell like? I've been really wanting to try them.
I've been looking all over the Internet and YouTube videos & many many many people say their products have overwhelmingly strong perfumey scents. I know that my nose is extra sensitive though. I often smell things that other people cannot . I'm the type that can smell perfume and know exactly what is in it . I am unusual, strong scents actually make me physically ill , but as I said many others have issues with their scents as well. But as you can see in this thread there are many who don't mind them either. Every hair product I have ever tried from them though had a strong smell, except for their baby shampoo.

A few hours ago I realized I had some of their African black soap balancing conditioner . I don't recall ever using it in my hair I must've got it for my little brother, but I just smelled it and I like the smell of it . They have a lot of products and I've only tried a handful because of the scent issues, so I'm sure there are many more that smell just fine. A lot of their hair products come unsealed I have noticed ( which I also really don't like ... There's a lot of crazy people out there how are we to know if someone has tampered with it or not ?) so it should be pretty easy to test out the smell before you buy.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've been looking all over the Internet and YouTube videos & many many many people say their products have overwhelmingly strong perfumey scents. I know that my nose is extra sensitive though. I often smell things that other people cannot . I'm the type that can smell perfume and know exactly what is in it . I am unusual, strong scents actually make me physically ill , but as I said many others have issues with their scents as well. But as you can see in this thread there are many who don't mind them either. Every hair product I have ever tried from them though had a strong smell, except for their baby shampoo.

A few hours ago I realized I had some of their African black soap balancing conditioner . I don't recall ever using it in my hair I must've got it for my little brother, but I just smelled it and I like the smell of it . They have a lot of products and I've only tried a handful because of the scent issues, so I'm sure there are many more that smell just fine. A lot of their hair products come unsealed I have noticed ( which I also really don't like ... There's a lot of crazy people out there how are we to know if someone has tampered with it or not ?) so it should be pretty easy to test out the smell before you buy.

So glad to have some company: My nose is VERY, VERY strong. I absolutely LOVE the effect that Oyin Hair Dew has on my hair. Best moisturizer produced, in my opinion. However, I can't use it: That datgum burnt cookie / caramel / sugary / just-won't-ever-completely-dissipate smell!!!!!!! :ohwell: :barf::pullhair: I would rather have dry hair than to smell Oyin Hair Dew. That's sayin' sumpin'!!! Does ANY hair product need to be scented THAT strongly?

Speaking of scenting, there's another Shea Moisture product to "not care too much for" . . . or maybe folks will love it. It's On-the-go Conditioning Hair Fragrance. You know, brought to you by Shea Moisture--the expert hair product scenters. :lachen: I'm sorry! :lol: I just find it ticklish for SO MANY reasons.

I actually like the scent of the Manuka line . . . when in an appropriate strength. :look:

WP_20170110_003.jpg

Last edited:

Dposh167

That manuka honey mask was trash. I loved how thick the product was but it was not moisturizing enough. I find most of their masks not moisturizing period.

I also had the tahitian noni conditioner in my stash because it had keratin pretty high on list. And it performed pretty well ....but my lord did that stuff stink. And it lingered too..so i stopped using it.

I only use the 10 in 1 renewal rinse out conditioner and thats just ok for moisture.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So now Shea Moisture are selling hair fragrance. What a waste of money that would be. Most hair products used for shampooing, conditioning and styling already have their own scents. Why would you need to buy something to provide a scent when you can just reapply some products you already have.

See, I think I figured out. This WHOLE thing was PLANNED, by DESIGN!

SM said: "Finding the scent of some of your favorite SM products . . . challenging? Never fear! We gotchoooooo! Just purchase our on-the-go Conditioning Hair Fragrance for the VERY nice price of just $7.99 and . . . "

Uh huh: I see it now.

*kidding, of course

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I'm now actually interested in knowing where the 'on the go hair conditioning hair fragrances sprays' are located for sale.

I want to take a whiff, review the ingredients...and possibly purchase:sekret:.. I'll check Target tomorrow.

Sometimes when I go to a restaurant/bar/outdoor patio etc my hair will hold smells and its not quite wash day.

I have aquolina pink sugar hair perfume, but that's $15.00 a bottle. 1 bottle lasts over 2 years since I use it infrequently.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm now actually interested in knowing where the 'on the go hair conditioning hair fragrances sprays' are located for sale.

I want to take a whiff, review the ingredients...and possibly purchase:sekret:.. I'll check Target tomorrow.

Sometimes when I go to a restaurant/bar/outdoor patio etc my hair will hold smells and its not quite wash day.

I have aquolina pink sugar hair perfume, but that's $15.00 a bottle. 1 bottle lasts over 2 years since I use it infrequently.

I took that pic at my local Target.

sparkle25

See, I think I figured out. This WHOLE thing was PLANNED, by DESIGN!

SM said: "Finding the scent of some of your favorite SM products . . . challenging? Never fear! We gotchoooooo! Just purchase our on-the-go Conditioning Hair Fragrance for the VERY nice price of just $7.99 and . . . "

Uh huh: I see it now.

*kidding, of course
I can't. You're a fooooooooooooool! I am dying

KaciaLN12

Well, I actually like quite a few SM products. The Manuka Honey and 10-in-1 masks are bae; both leave my hair soft, plush and fluffy. I like the Moisture Retention and 10-in-1 shampoo. But, before my porosity normalized, their shampoos used to make my hair rough and tangled. I really love their rinse-outs as leave-ins. Their conditioners don't have enough slip for intial detangling, but they help give additional slip and moisture for styling. The Restorative, 10-in-1 and Curl and Shine are my favs for leave-ins. The JBCO leave-in is also great. The Curling Souffle is nice for really shiny, defined twist-outs when paired with other SM products. I also like the Kid's Buttercream; it was silkier, had more slip and seemed lighter than the original Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I also LOVE the Curl and Style Milk for a leave-in, but this and the Curl and Shine conditioner work similarly, so I just get the condish because you get more product for the price.

I didn't like the original Purification Mask except for a prepoo, but it was too expensive to purchase just for that. The Curl Enhancing Smoothie was very heavy on my hair, but I'm going to try it again and try to use less because I am quite heavy handed.

I still have quite a few new SM products in my stash I need to try. I know I have the 10-in-1 and Sacha Inchi smoothies to try and the Raw Shea Detangler.

prettyinpurple

So glad to have some company: My nose is VERY, VERY strong. I absolutely LOVE the effect that Oyin Hair Dew has on my hair. Best moisturizer produced, in my opinion. However, I can't use it: That datgum burnt cookie / caramel / sugary / just-won't-ever-completely-dissipate smell!!!!!!! :ohwell: :barf::pullhair: I would rather have dry hair than to smell Oyin Hair Dew. That's sayin' sumpin'!!! Does ANY hair product need to be scented THAT strongly?

Speaking of scenting, there's another Shea Moisture product to "not care too much for" . . . or maybe folks will love it. It's On-the-go Conditioning Hair Fragrance. You know, brought to you by Shea Moisture--the expert hair product scenters. :lachen: I'm sorry! :lol: I just find it ticklish for SO MANY reasons.

I actually like the scent of the Manuka line . . . when in an appropriate strength. :look:

View attachment 385669
You are so right about Oyin. I can only use the refresher sprays (Greg Juice, etc.) as the other products are too heavily scented. I feel you regarding the Hair Dew. I wish that I could use it, but I can't. I tried the whipped pudding when it was pretty new, my batch didn't have a strong scent. Then I got a full size a little while later and the chocolate scent (or whatever it is) was out of control. I got a whiff of the burnt sugar pomade once and said nope. The body butter bars were fine though, no crazy intense scent for the ones that I tried.

MilkChocolateOne

You are so right about Oyin. I can only use the refresher sprays (Greg Juice, etc.) as the other products are too heavily scented. I feel you regarding the Hair Dew. I wish that I could use it, but I can't. I tried the whipped pudding when it was pretty new, my batch didn't have a strong scent. Then I got a full size a little while later and the chocolate scent (or whatever it is) was out of control. I got a whiff of the burnt sugar pomade once and said nope. The body butter bars were fine though, no crazy intense scent for the ones that I tried.

the smell of oyin hair dew makes me hyperventilate. I'm not exagerating either.

MilkChocolateOne

the only "new" shea moisture product I liked was the Jamaican black castor oil shampo but I had to stop using it. It gave me a serve case of seborrheic dermatitis.

about 10 years ago Shea moisture used have a great leave in that was very moisturizing with a nice light fragrance.

This stuff was awesome.