Anyone Else Not Care For Sheamoisture Products?

Neomorph

There are only 4 products I would buy from them

1) Low Porosity Shampoo- The ONLY one of their shampoos that works on my hair and scalp
2) Manuka Honey Masque- This is made of awesome...don't care what anyone says. :look:
3) The High Porosity Masque- Perfect for before and after a blowout
4) The original African black soap purification masque- Why the :censored: did they try to change a good thing?

I've tried other products (other shampoos, other masques, and their leave-in/styling products) and they all either made my hair hard, irritated my scalp or both. My hair can only tolerate a little bit of protein and my scalp can only tolerate shea butter in wash out products. So the vast majority of their products are a no go. In defense of SM, the products that do work for me work really well. But I don't just jump every time they roll out a new product.

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Oohh I'm going to have to go smell it...I have a Kohls gift card and I see its there. I'll report back if I pick up a bottle :pulpdance:

That description sounds like my cup of tea:

FRAGRANCE NOTES-
Crispy pear, pink grapefruit, juicy raspberry, soft muguet, rose buds, vanilla orchid, marshmallow, creamy musk, and blonde woods.
Did you ever get a chance to smell it @yaya24?

back2relaxed

I, like everyone else, tried them first when I big chopped 2 years ago. As my hair has grown and time has passed, I have found a host of products that work better for my hair. I also have learned that a lot of their products have to be used for certain things for my hair, not necessarily what they are designed for. For example, curl enhancing smoothie, is an outstanding moisturizer but not a styler or a curl/texture enhancer for me. I do love the JBCO line the most. The styling lotion and mask are constant repurchases for me.

tatiana001191

I bought 2 products from them after all the YouTube hype and was bitterly disappointed . The styling cream had such an overpowering smell I felt suffocated and got a bad migraine from it . The leave in just leaves my hair feeling greasy and limp

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I bought 2 products from them after all the YouTube hype and was bitterly disappointed . The styling cream had such an overpowering smell I felt suffocated and got a bad migraine from it . The leave in just leaves my hair feeling greasy and limp

Off topic- @tatiana001191,
Your avatar photo is absolutely gorgeous!

As far as this brand goes, in general I like DIY products.

Dposh167

They have some new body lotions ans i got one in no fragrance for sensitive skin.:badidea:....that ish still smelled like a chemical. I retuned it right away.

I see they have a new argan line. I havent smelled it tho

AgeinATL

LOL. See!!! Let me know how it performed tho lol

Sigh...girl, it had the nerve to be good. My hair was very soft and manageable, even after rinsing. Unfortunately, the smell lingers :barf:

I don't know what to do about this one. It is rare to find a DC that my hair likes. I can stomach the smell of the other two that are staples but this one is the worst smelling out of all the rest.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Sigh...girl, it had the nerve to be good. My hair was very soft and manageable, even after rinsing. Unfortunately, the smell lingers :barf:

I don't know what to do about this one. It is rare to find a DC that my hair likes. I can stomach the smell of the other two that are staples but this one is the worst smelling out of all the rest.

This masque is my HG. Comparable to its performance is that of the Mielle Organics DC at Sally's. Ironically, I can handle the smell of the SM hipo masque but only just barely the Mielle DC. You might give the Mielle one a whiff at Sally's. Sally's takes returns, too.

Lastly, you could try cutting it with an essential oil (fragrance). That is what the Oyin folks just emailed me to try when I emailed them a request for an unscented Hair Dew.

AgeinATL

This masque is my HG. Comparable to its performance is that of the Mielle Organics DC at Sally's. Ironically, I can handle the smell of the SM hipo masque but only just barely the Mielle DC. You might give the Mielle one a whiff at Sally's. Sally's takes returns, too.

Lastly, you could try cutting it with an essential oil (fragrance). That is what the Oyin folks just emailed me to try when I emailed them a request for an unscented Hair Dew.

That is so funny how noses are different. I ADORE the smell of Hair Dew. Like, I would bathe in it if I could. I keep going back and forth about trying the Mielle. I feel as though my hair could easily eat an entire jar in one use because the consistency looks so loose. Thank you for the suggestion, I may give it a try!

Royalq

I think the newer products are a but better. But i only use the shampoos and DCs. I dudnt like the coconut hibiscus and shea butter shampoos, those made my hair dry. But now i use the High porosity and honey manuka shampoos and my hair feels nice. Never liked the curl enhancing smoothie

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I mentioned in another thread that I am done and pissed at SM. At my local Target all of the space where I previously found my favorite products from KBB, Oyin, CD, etc is taken up by SM products. They are multiplying and monopolizing the otg natural haircare game. And they do NOT have products half as good (or that smell half as good) as the products I can't find in the store anymore. I mentioned this a month or two ago and I am STILL mad.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
They have a new line (looks like they release several lines per year...or per month...hard to keep track) for protective styles. Hmmm....

View attachment 391085

Woooooooooow. I can't keep up.

I'm a little curious because carrot oil is amazing for my hair (at least I think so, because the Yes to Carrots masque that I can't find anymore was AH-MAZ-ING on my relaxed hair).

I wonder what the difference between carrot oil and carrot seed oil is, performance-wise.

trueheartofgold

Woooooooooow. I can't keep up.

I'm a little curious because carrot oil is amazing for my hair (at least I think so, because the Yes to Carrots masque that I can't find anymore was AH-MAZ-ING on my relaxed hair).

I wonder what the difference between carrot oil and carrot seed oil is, performance-wise.

I checked their website to post the ingredients but this collection isn't listed yet. Are you thinking about trying the right product(s)?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I checked their website to post the ingredients but this collection isn't listed yet. Are you thinking about trying the right product(s)?

I think these are very smart products. If they work, Shea Moisture could really clean up with these. We protective-style a LOT.

I am curious about the braid-up conditioning gel. How would it work? Is it a styler? A deep conditioner? Do you rinse it out? What are the ingredients?

I have very little faith in the efficacy of SM products, though. Hardly anything they make does for my hair what the product advertises. :nono:

trueheartofgold

I think these are very smart products. If they work, Shea Moisture could really clean up with these. We protective-style a LOT.

I am curious about the braid-up conditioning gel. How would it work? Is it a styler? A deep conditioner? Do you rinse it out? What are the ingredients?

I have very little faith in the efficacy of SM products, though. Hardly anything they make does for my hair what the product advertises. :nono:

I agree the idea is great but only time will as far as the effectiveness. I'll post the ingredients once they become available. I'll also post the claim as to what each product is supposed to do.

If the bolded section isn't me...you hit it spot on. Now you know I'm trying to get this hair right but none of their products do as advertised. Smh...their shampoos make my hair so tangled and matted. Every shampoo I've used from them makes me look like sideshow bob after...strips my hair to the point where I hear squeaks like I'm DJ'ing (no joke)...:lachen:

Sigh... I wanted to post in the "Dream Products" thread but I'd be typing all day.:drunk:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I agree the idea is great but only time will as far as the effectiveness. I'll post the ingredients once they become available. I'll also post the claim as to what each product is supposed to do.

If the bolded section isn't me...you hit it spot on. Now you know I'm trying to get this hair right but none of their products do as advertised. Smh...their shampoos make my hair so tangled and matted. Every shampoo I've used from them makes me look like sideshow bob after...strips my hair to the point where I hear squeaks like I'm DJ'ing (no joke)...:lachen:

Sigh... I wanted to post in your "Dream Products" thread but I'd be typing all day.:drunk:

:lol: at your post. Hugs!

I posted in Sharpened's Dream Product thread. I almost deleted it but just went ahead. I'm hoping someone will say "Long post, 'Vette, but product number so-and-so on your list already exists. You can purchase it here . . ."

trueheartofgold

Great. Even LESS space for the other brands. I swear they must have paid off the devil to run the other products off the shelves.

It's getting annoying now. Like how many lines does one brand need? And if you pay close attention to the ingredients...they're very similar. Just a couple tweaks. They're doing way too much.

trueheartofgold

:lol: at your post. Hugs!

I posted in Sharpened's Dream Product thread. I almost deleted it but just went ahead. I'm hoping someone will say "Long post, 'Vette, but product number so-and-so on your list already exists. You can purchase it here . . ."

I started to type then I realized it would be a memoir by the time I'm done. :lachen::lachen: