Anyone Else Still Frequenting Dominican Salons?

HaveSomeWine

I just went yesterday (see avi) and the results were extremely silky hair and of course high heat. Anyone have salon recommendations?

ETA: The top part of my hair looks whitish from the sun. I don't have a bald spot.:look:

Attachments

• IMG_5656.JPG
    IMG_5656.JPG
    789.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5657.JPG
    IMG_5657.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 187

blue_flower

There aren't any Dominican salons where I live. If there was one, I'd only go for professional highlights or color. My profile photo is my hair done by a Dominican salon.

TwoSnapsUp

I still go since these are the ones closest to me. Back when I was relaxed before, going every two weeks had my hair growing long and thick.

Now, I'll just to for a relaxer touch up.

ak46

I used to go to the Dominican salons every time I visited my family on the east coast (once or twice a year). Then I got so happy when I found one here in NorCal. I went there and cried like a baby (literally in tears, Lol) because the dryer was so hot on my scalp! That was the last time I went to one (2008, I think...). But I do have to say that never happened at the salons I visited on the east coast and I liked the results. I don't think I would go back now that I'm natural ...they wouldn't like me at all, Lol.

Wenbev

one is Dominican destinations and the other is dominican designs. They are both really close to each other on Charleston west side. I've been to destinations.

all_1_length

I had my first and last blowout 3 weeks ago. I say it was my last because I wasn't planning on the blowout part, I just wanted a wash and to have the stylist give me a regular blow dry (preferably with a comb attachment) and a trim. But once her assistant brought out the rollers after she shampooed me I knew what was up. At first I wasn't thinking about getting the blowout part until I had been there almost 1:45 minutes and I had paid for 2hrs in a private parking lot. By then I was already from under the dryer and she was ready to finish up so I said go ahead.

Well I didn't think the stylist used too much heat at the time because blowout didn't take long and neither did the flat ironing afterward. She basically did one pass with the iron. My hair looked great. I had natural layers that my sister thought the stylist had cut and lots of swang which I never had before. The only reason I wouldn't go back is because the stylist fried my hair. All night I could smell my burnt hair whenever I woke up. I was so pissed and afraid that I had heat damage that I washed my hair 2 days later. I was right, I had heat damage. I didn't have any stick straight pieces but some of my hair was poofy instead of curly like it was supposed to be. The next wash I did a protein treatment and deep condition to restore my curls because my wash n go's didn't look right. My hair was burned so bad that it took almost 3 weeks to get rid of the smell. I'm just kicking myself for not saying no the blowout since now it will take years to grow this damage out.:mad::cry3:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I had my first and last blowout 3 weeks ago. I say it was my last because I wasn't planning on the blowout part, I just wanted a wash and to have the stylist give me a regular blow dry (preferably with a comb attachment) and a trim. But once her assistant brought out the rollers after she shampooed me I knew what was up. At first I wasn't thinking about getting the blowout part until I had been there almost 1:45 minutes and I had paid for 2hrs in a private parking lot. By then I was already from under the dryer and she was ready to finish up so I said go ahead.

Well I didn't think the stylist used too much heat at the time because blowout didn't take long and neither did the flat ironing afterward. She basically did one pass with the iron. My hair looked great. I had natural layers that my sister thought the stylist had cut and lots of swang which I never had before. The only reason I wouldn't go back is because the stylist fried my hair. All night I could smell my burnt hair whenever I woke up. I was so pissed and afraid that I had heat damage that I washed my hair 2 days later. I was right, I had heat damage. I didn't have any stick straight pieces but some of my hair was poofy instead of curly like it was supposed to be. The next wash I did a protein treatment and deep condition to restore my curls because my wash n go's didn't look right. My hair was burned so bad that it took almost 3 weeks to get rid of the smell. I'm just kicking myself for not saying no the blowout since now it will take years to grow this damage out.:mad::cry3:
Aww, I'm so sorry this happened to you! What a shame. I feel your pain and regret! As time passes it will get better, that's the only upside to setbacks like this. Oughh....this is why I will never go to any salon. Years of progress gone! They DONT care about anyone's hair just the money.

Is a short term style really worth the risk? Really? Is it?? Seriously.....is it?

Last edited:

Tefnut

I just had a flashback of how hot the blowdryers at Domincan salons can get. :eek:

That mess was the hottest I've ever experienced and it was at salons on the East Coast. My hair was laid though (and had heat damage).

I used to go to the Dominican salons every time I visited my family on the east coast (once or twice a year). Then I got so happy when I found one here in NorCal. I went there and cried like a baby (literally in tears, Lol) because the dryer was so hot on my scalp! That was the last time I went to one (2008, I think...). But I do have to say that never happened at the salons I visited on the east coast and I liked the results. I don't think I would go back now that I'm natural ...they wouldn't like me at all, Lol.

Britt

I went to one this weekend for a wash/set/light blow/trim. I'm relaxed but transitioning back to natural. I couldn't see myself going to one steadily as a main stylist. The way they apply perms are trash (they overprocess terribly), the are not good with handling kinky hair, and it's a one size fits all in the way they deal with and style hair. Everyone's hair in there looked the same--- thicker at the roots and just thin at the ends, the styling is weak too, seems a bit out dated to me. I rather go to a stylist that has the flick of the wrist with a flat iron and create volume and silk curls. It's just that these stylists cost a lot more. I like dominicans for the very bare basics --- wash, set, trim, maybe some pin curls. For the price point and my expectations, the spot I went to is perfect to continue to trim my ends as I grow out this relaxer. For that I am pleased so far.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I went to one this weekend for a wash/set/light blow/trim. I'm relaxed but transitioning back to natural. I couldn't see myself going to one steadily as a main stylist. The way they apply perms are trash (they overprocess terribly), the are not good with handling kinky hair, and it's a one size fits all in the way they deal with and style hair. Everyone's hair in there looked the same--- thicker at the roots and just thin at the ends, the styling is weak too, seems a bit out dated to me. I rather go to a stylist that has the flick of the wrist with a flat iron and create volume and silk curls. It's just that these stylists cost a lot more. I like dominicans for the very bare basics --- wash, set, trim, maybe some pin curls. For the price point and my expectations, the spot I went to is perfect to continue to trim my ends as I grow out this relaxer. For that I am pleased so far.

learn to do it at home!! it's an invaluable skill. it took me years upon years :look: but I can get my hair shinier and silkier than any salon ever did. screw blow outs lol. my hair looked brittle all the years i was getting blowouts. i was paying people to screw up my hair.

gn1g

learn to do it at home!! it's an invaluable skill. it took me years upon years :look: but I can get my hair shinier and silkier than any salon ever did. screw blow outs lol. my hair looked brittle all the years i was getting blowouts. i was paying people to screw up my hair.

Share Sister? How did you learn, what products and tools do you use, any techniques and short cuts?

werenumber2

I go to a Dominican salon fairly regularly for a rollerset and doobie (and a trim whenever I need it). For blowouts, I prefer Dry Bar.

Britt

I've tried... and tried... and triedddddd :nono::pullhair:.... i think it's a skill.
I'll never forget the first time I got my hair flat ironed, I was simply amazed, the stylist had me looking brand freaking new! I thought I could go home and try it -- fail! That was back when I was relaxed.
I went natural bought several different flat irons, all the right products, my flat iron jobs are still :nono: I don't even think some stylists are bomb with the flat iron like that. Some are just mediocre and some can make thin/fine hair look flowy and pretty.

What is your secret? You have long hair too! What's your flat iron routine?

nymane

I still go, but only for relaxers and trims. My stylist applies the relaxer quickly and doesn't over-process.

She also has no problem using the products I carry with me, and she's not scissor happy. I never get blow-outs; just roller set and wrap.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Share Sister? How did you learn, what products and tools do you use, any techniques and short cuts?
I've tried... and tried... and triedddddd :nono::pullhair:.... i think it's a skill.
I'll never forget the first time I got my hair flat ironed, I was simply amazed, the stylist had me looking brand freaking new! I thought I could go home and try it -- fail! That was back when I was relaxed.
I went natural bought several different flat irons, all the right products, my flat iron jobs are still :nono: I don't even think some stylists are bomb with the flat iron like that. Some are just mediocre and some can make thin/fine hair look flowy and pretty.

What is your secret? You have long hair too! What's your flat iron routine?

well it took me years upon years to get it right. I mean probably around ten years to really get it right :look: But the main things are starting with clean, well moisturized hair, meaning well shampoo'd and no heavy leave ins of any kind.
Do not add large amounts of heat protectant either. and use an FHI. of all the irons I've tried FHI beats all the rest in giving me hair that's silky but also retains body.
The technique I can't really explain. That takes experience and lots of it just learning the proper angles and all but it will eventually become second nature. You just have to keep trying.
*that said I also have 3b hair, so I can't speak for all hair types but I really think the general rules of a good iron job are the same from 1a-4z

gn1g

I keep hearing something about the carmel treatment suppose to make hair look like the DB