Anyone interested in a TWISTING FOR GROWTH Challenge???

oooop2

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for the delayed response. Just landed in USA last night and still suffering from jetlag. But that didn't stop me from shopping today for hair products :lachen: My hair is currently in an updo twist. Washed, conditioned, detangled w/ my Denman, applied Mountain Rose Shea Aloe and Coconut oil to hair after and did small twist.

Does anyone know if shea butter goes bad??? I purchased the Mountain Rose 1 about 5m ago and it seems FOUL. I kept trying to convince myself that it wasn't bad, but the shea butter smell. But my other shea butters (unrefined) don't smell like this. Thank God I only purchased 1...:rolleyes:

I redid my twist last night after watching a youtube video and how to twist...

I like these lot better but here is my starting length

Thanks for showing us your length pic. I am looking forward to seeing your growth :)

Here are the fat twists I'm rocking. I just cut my hair :( I've been wearing them in bun but I pulled them to the side to be sexy for the hubby that evenining. He's not feelin' the bun!

Nice. I like the reddened color to your twist. Do you dye? If so, what color are you using? My husband HATES when I attempt to bun also. But I think it is b/c I need more hair for it to look more full...:lachen:

I got the 1lb size. An I love it!!! I got it back around a week and a half after I placed the order.

It was full, but I whipped some of it last night. Also its not hard at all. I even like the smell.

I also got their black soap, (and a few other things). It had my skin so soft.

What did you add to the shea prior to whipping it up. I need some more shea butter, since my current batch from Mountain Rose sells FOUL!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WONDERSTAR....your hair looks amazing and the twist-out was superb!!!:grin:

normally i use a comb to part but that night i was just sitting in a chair in the living room and just went at it. but i'll probably use a comb from now on just b/c i think it looks neater and until my hair gets so long and thick :)lick:) that you cant see my parts, i need them to be on point

Interesting..I find that I NEVER use a comb. It always seems to take longer than I would like when ever I've tried to use 1. So I always quit :lachen:

Looking forward to more pics :)

Angkin73

In that picture its not mixed. I was just showing what it looked like. It has a very nutty smell. I took some out and mixed it with some virgin coconut oil and a few other oils.

I got the coconut oil from the same place I got the shea butter. Its really good, but I don't know how long I can take the smell. It takes a while to go away when I smooth some on my skin.

Heres the link and I copied the article also for you.
http://www.agbangakarite.com/storage_shea.php

Unrefined Shea Butter Storage

Unrefined Shea Butter Shelf Life and Preservation

Raw, unrefined shea butter has an average shelf life of 12 to 24 months without the addition of preservatives. To maximize the shelf life, it is important to store it under the proper conditions as outlined below.

Keep the unrefined shea butter in a cool area, below 50 degrees F
Store unrefined shea butter in a dark area, away from direct sunlight
Do not mix old shea butter with fresh shea butter
Do not over heat the shea butter when melting and avoid repeat meltings
Do not leave the shea butter in your car with the windows closed or any other similar situation
You can also add natural preservatives, such as vitamin E or rosemary oil to extend the shelf life. However, Agbanga Karite does not add any preservatives, natural or otherwise, to our unrefined shea butter. Natural preservatives may extend the shelf life for a few months

Last edited:

oooop2

Thanks for posting..I'm going to order some...

In that picture its not mixed. I was just showing what it looked like. It has a very nutty smell. I took some out and mixed it with some virgin coconut oil and a few other oils.

I got the coconut oil from the same place I got the shea butter. Its really good, but I don't know how long I can take the smell. It takes a while to go away when I smooth some on my skin.

Heres the link and I copied the article also for you.
http://www.agbangakarite.com/storage_shea.php

Unrefined Shea Butter Storage

Unrefined Shea Butter Shelf Life and Preservation

Raw, unrefined shea butter has an average shelf life of 12 to 24 months without the addition of preservatives. To maximize the shelf life, it is important to store it under the proper conditions as outlined below.

Keep the unrefined shea butter in a cool area, below 50 degrees F
Store unrefined shea butter in a dark area, away from direct sunlight
Do not mix old shea butter with fresh shea butter
Do not over heat the shea butter when melting and avoid repeat meltings
Do not leave the shea butter in your car with the windows closed or any other similar situation
You can also add natural preservatives, such as vitamin E or rosemary oil to extend the shelf life. However, Agbanga Karite does not add any preservatives, natural or otherwise, to our unrefined shea butter. Natural preservatives may extend the shelf life for a few months

Angkin73

Rocking a coil twist out today. I did the coils with Elasta QP Mango butter yesterday. Usually when I uncoil my hair I recoil the little sections through out the day so they don't have to bad of a frizzy look. I wiil go over them tonight with some more mango butter and coconut oil, and leave them alone the rest of the week. Just spritz in the mornings.

natural light (angle)

from the top in sun light

shade light, the ends look kinda frizzy. I was playing in my hair all day. Theres a place in the front that has straight ends. It drives me crazy. Its not relaxed ends either, it just grows like that.

Ms Lala

ooop2- Yeah I colored my hair about 2 years ago. I would encourage you not to do it. It was the most damaging thing I have ever done to my hair. My hair just doesn't seem to like chemicals. I used SoftSheen HiRez color because my hair is pretty resistant to color.Most people don't even notice it. Girl I wish I had never colored my hair, I would be MBL by now, I'm sure.

misschee

Interesting..I find that I NEVER use a comb. It always seems to take longer than I would like when ever I've tried to use 1. So I always quit :lachen:

i cant remeber if it was quicker without a comb or not...i've been wearing my hair out for the last couple of days but im gonna twist it back tomorrow with braiding hair. i didnt want to spend the money on kinky twist hair (5.99) so i just bought the kankelone (sp?) hair. i know thats what one of my friends uses when her aunt does her micro twists so i figured i could make it cute..if not it was only $5 for three packs so i wouldnt be losing much and i can just twist my hair

oooop2

Rocking a coil twist out today. I did the coils with Elasta QP Mango butter yesterday. Usually when I uncoil my hair I recoil the little sections through out the day so they don't have to bad of a frizzy look. I wiil go over them tonight with some more mango butter and coconut oil, and leave them alone the rest of the week. Just spritz in the mornings.

natural light (angle)

from the top in sun light

shade light, the ends look kinda frizzy. I was playing in my hair all day. Theres a place in the front that has straight ends. It drives me crazy. Its not relaxed ends either, it just grows like that.

Really cute :)

ooop2- Yeah I colored my hair about 2 years ago. I would encourage you not to do it. It was the most damaging thing I have ever done to my hair. My hair just doesn't seem to like chemicals. I used SoftSheen HiRez color because my hair is pretty resistant to color.Most people don't even notice it. Girl I wish I had never colored my hair, I would be MBL by now, I'm sure.

Yeah..I've heard several people state that coloring their hair caused damage. Currently I'm just using henna...

i cant remeber if it was quicker without a comb or not...i've been wearing my hair out for the last couple of days but im gonna twist it back tomorrow with braiding hair. i didnt want to spend the money on kinky twist hair (5.99) so i just bought the kankelone (sp?) hair. i know thats what one of my friends uses when her aunt does her micro twists so i figured i could make it cute..if not it was only $5 for three packs so i wouldnt be losing much and i can just twist my hair

Can't wait to see what your twist look like. I've never used extensions on my twist..

I've been running around so much that I have been doing a wash n go. I am putting some twist in right now.

LOL...You sound like me. My twist look so frizzed and pitiful, but I refuse to redo them until I am in Houston on Friday. So I'vw been rocking an updo to make them look presentable :lachen:

oooop2

Last night, I washed my hair w/ Nexxus Therappe Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo and conditioned w/ Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Conditioning Conditioner. It didn't do anything SPECTACULAR to my hair. I am GLAD I didn't get a huge bottle. I even added some organic honey that I Mom didn't like to the conditioner for extra moisture. I then detangled w/ my hands and placed hair in chunky twist w/ condish still on hair. I then rinsed w/ cool water. After I wrapped my hair in a white tee until damp. Then separating 1 twist at a time, I applied Qhemet Alma Oil Nourishing Pomade to scalp, then I applied Qhemet Olive Cream Condish and Detangler to hair and slowly worked it through. Lastly, I applied Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream to hair and massaged it into hair and scalp. I then placed hair in smaller twist and added a small amount of vaseline to my ends (b/c I've been have issues w/ small knots forming at the tips of my hiar). My hair feels FABULOUS. I know a lot of people RAVE about this product and now I know why. Love it!!!!!!!

[

My yes, my girls are also in this challenge :grin:

oooop2

My hair is doing well. Really loving all of my new Qhemet products. I am so glad I finally decided to purchase some. Hair is currently in small twist. Trying to decide if I want to keep them in a bit longer or wear twistouts over the weekend. How is everyone else doing??? :)

Ms Lala

I am rocking my twist out now. I will go back to the twists when I wash again, probably tomorrow.

misschee

i ended up taking my twists out and wear a wng for a couple of days. yesterday i went to the bss and bought some profective, the healthy ends kind. then i washed my hair with mane-n-tail shampoo and conditioned with my beloved suave coconut conditioner. ( i just love that stuff) then i let my hair air dry a bit maybe 50% and twisted with the profective and shea butter. i didnt mix them i just used one or the other on different parts. i wanted to try them both out to see which one i liked better but i didnt use them systematically so i dont remember which product i used on which twists. right now i prefer to twist without the extensions because i miss being able to wash whenever i want and to deep condition, but once i go back to school i will probably use extensions so they last longer

oooop2

I am rocking my twist out now. I will go back to the twists when I wash again, probably tomorrow.
I'm rocking twistouts also. Here are some recent pics :)

i ended up taking my twists out and wear a wng for a couple of days. yesterday i went to the bss and bought some profective, the healthy ends kind. then i washed my hair with mane-n-tail shampoo and conditioned with my beloved suave coconut conditioner. ( i just love that stuff) then i let my hair air dry a bit maybe 50% and twisted with the profective and shea butter. i didnt mix them i just used one or the other on different parts. i wanted to try them both out to see which one i liked better but i didnt use them systematically so i dont remember which product i used on which twists. right now i prefer to twist without the extensions because i miss being able to wash whenever i want and to deep condition, but once i go back to school i will probably use extensions so they last longer

I've never used Profective. But I tend to use shea butter a lot and my hair loves it. How long do your extensions typically last???

misschee

I've never used Profective. But I tend to use shea butter a lot and my hair loves it. How long do your extensions typically last???

i have probably never kept my extensions in for more than 6 weeks because i get bored with my hair easily and i hate braids that look old. i only keep those last ones in for about 1 week cuz i missed my curls. i like the way the profective makes my hair feel but i dont think i will use it often for twists (especially in the nape area where my hair is looser) because it is to slick for my hair and i feel like the twists are unraveling faster than when i use the shea butter or grease

oooop2

I may need to take a break. My edges have been kind of stressed lately. Will probably do a twist out for a while.

So sorry to read that your edges are causing you stress. Are you experiencing breakage along your edges? What products are you consistently using. Well definitely do what you need to do in order for your hair to thrive.... :)

i have probably never kept my extensions in for more than 6 weeks because i get bored with my hair easily and i hate braids that look old. i only keep those last ones in for about 1 week cuz i missed my curls. i like the way the profective makes my hair feel but i dont think i will use it often for twists (especially in the nape area where my hair is looser) because it is to slick for my hair and i feel like the twists are unraveling faster than when i use the shea butter or grease

I seriously contemplating getting braids done after I get back from Orlando at the end of July.

oooop2

Well, my edges have always been my trouble spot. I know this hot weather isn't helping. I am going to try and increase my moisture.

I've found that since I've been in Houston for the past 2 weeks, my hair is starting to feel really dry. I've been trying to maintain moisture by spritzing it 2x a day w/ a water, honey, evoo mix and wearing a moisture lock satin cap at night...

But I totally understand

Ms Lala

I'm wearing flat twists under a wig now. My twists were just not lasting in the heat. They started looking frizzy after a couple of days. I can't spend 4+ hours redoing twists every week. Plus it's giving my hair a break.

oooop2

IM IN!! I am wearing twists now!! But I can't upload pics just yet!!

Hey..Sorry I missed your post. Can't wait to see your twist pics. Hopefully you'll teach me some creative styles..LOL

I'm wearing flat twists under a wig now. My twists were just not lasting in the heat. They started looking frizzy after a couple of days. I can't spend 4+ hours redoing twists every week. Plus it's giving my hair a break.

Yeah..This Houston heat was killing my hair. I've decided to start co-washing every other day to help combat the dryness.

Last night to combat my dryness, I applied Pantene Intensive Curl Hydrating mask to my hair last night for 2hrs. I rinsed and applied African Pride Magical Gro hair grease to my hair (not scalp), did chunky twist, covered w/ a moisture cap and went to bed. Hair felt nice and soft all day. I was really pleased w/ the results.

Here is my hair today:

Tonight

misschee

i braided my hair in individuals (i know its not twists, but i figured they were so similar that it would still count) i plan on keeping it for 3 weeks (until 8-8) and i will take it down, shampoo, dye it black, deep condition, trim and twist. i may blow it out to trim it, i dont know yet. i'll probably do a protein treatment a around 8-13 cuz i leave to go back to school on the 14th and the water at school is horrible so i need to do everything to get my hair in tip top shape now.

Ms Lala

i braided my hair in individuals (i know its not twists, but i figured they were so similar that it would still count) i plan on keeping it for 3 weeks (until 8-8) and i will take it down, shampoo, dye it black, deep condition, trim and twist. i may blow it out to trim it, i dont know yet. i'll probably do a protein treatment a around 8-13 cuz i leave to go back to school on the 14th and the water at school is horrible so i need to do everything to get my hair in tip top shape now.

I Just put my hair in about 8 braids under my wig. I hope braids can count. I think they are similar enough.

oooop2

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for checking in.

Well on Sat, I decided to wear my hair in bantu twist..

The next day I took them out and fluffed out my hair.

delitefulmane

Checkin IN!!
Sorry I haven't checked in but I haven't been near a computer..But I am wearing my hair in a twist out puff!! I plan on washing and retwisting tonight or tomorrow!!

miss Congeniality

Well, I plan to put a fresh set in this weekend. I think I found the source of my breakage... lack of moisture. I was using oils and butters, but not any moisturizers. :wallbash:

Anancy

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for checking in.

Well on Sat, I decided to wear my hair in bantu twist..

The next day I took them out and fluffed out my hair.

OK let me get this right; is that your hair twisted and then you did bantu knots with the twist?
Very creative lol, i love it and it looks great.

jtotheb

:wavey: Just checking in.

I put in a set of kinky twists yesterday. My summer got busy and I couldn't keep up with the twisting every other week. Hopefully i can keep these in for about four weeks...we'll see.

Hope everyone else is hangin' in there.

Last edited: