Anyone NOT have problems with relaxers?

Autumn

I'm currently transitioning from a mild texturizer. I must admit, however that I do have moments of weekness. Case in point, my texturizer lol. I was 100% natural and caved in.

If I can recall, I mainly self relaxed (never bone straight) and with not many problems. If I had breakage, it was due to my lack of proper relaxer care knowledge. I thought it was a crime to wash my relaxed hair more than once a week lol. But weirdly enough, my hair grew. I used to wear my relaxed hair (which was more like slightly frizzy texturized hair) 'wash and go' most times. I'd wash it in the shower and give it a few blasts with a warm blow dryer to make it wild looking and I'd apply some light oil or serum and I was gone
It looked kinda like a blown out fro, but it was lighter and had body. I never really liked bone straight hair.

Since I've been natural ( about a year and a half...excluding the texturizer almost two months ago), The only 'cons' that I can say that I've had are:

1) boredum with the puff (I don't have shake and go hair)

2) the bigger my afro gets, the longer it takes to twist

3) having 4b texture around the front and sides and 4a at the crown and nape. I'm dealing with it for now lol.

The 'pros' of my natural hair are:

1)it's safer to use color (I have a few gray hairs here and there
)

2) I don't have to retouch every month

3) It's fun to experiment with natural ingredients.

The cons of my relaxed hair were:

1)Having to apply more caution with color

2) Touch ups (It would burn sometimes cuz I'd have scratched it while trying to not wash away a 'style'
)

3) dryness (mainly due to my neglect)

the pros of my relaxed hair were:

1) Less styling time

2) easier updoes

3) baseball cap friendly lol.

grrrrrrrrrrrr it's just that sometimes my natural hair is so dense and kinky in spots, that a mild relaxer seemed ideal. I'm gonna give the natural untill Xmas time. Then, knowing my 'never satisfied, always changing' self, I might go back to the chemicals. Heck, I've even concidered locs, but I couldn't do them justice.

thanx for reading my ramble

buffalosoldier

I hate it when the texturiser burns my scalp but the results are worth it to me and it rarely happens.
Everyone just assumes I'm a 'natural' but I'm not.
Chemicals dont phase me esp now that I know how to take care of my hair with or without them. Plus I use them cos I WANT to not cos I feel I HAVE to.

I respect everyones right to wear their hair how they want to.

UmSumayyah

The only problem I've had with relaxers are stylists.
And remember you probably don't need to retouch every month, esp with the knowledge from this board.

Allandra

Like flyjump00, I'm not having any problems with relaxers. I always make sure I'm gentle with my hair and moisture, moisture, moisture.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:
Everyone just assumes I'm a 'natural' but I'm not.
Chemicals dont phase me esp now that I know how to take care of my hair with or without them. Plus I use them cos I WANT to not cos I feel I HAVE to.

I respect everyones right to wear their hair how they want to.

[/ QUOTE ]
You took the words right out of my mouth

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
No problems with relaxers, except for No-Lye. No-Lye causes shedding and scalp irritation for me. Therefore, I use Lye.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA, the lye is much better on the hair than no lye. I use Affirm Lye relaxer.

Tai

I never had a problem with relaxers/texturizers. I only had problems with using heat regularly.

pebbles

I've had no problems at all for almost 2 years now since I began relaxing again. The key for me has been finding the right person, and the lady who does my hair is excellent!

MissMarie23

I've been relaxed for nearly 10 years, and I've never had a problem (with Lye or No-Lye). I've never had a burn or any adverse effects from relaxers.