Anyone Still Use Hair Glaze/clear Rinse/gloss/cellophane?

Dee-Licious

I used to use this yearrrrs ago. I could use some more shine and luster to my 4c dull looking hair.

I can't remember if I used to mix it with my DC or do it separately.

Anyone still using this at all? I found an old thread that hasn't been updated in years except "bumps". https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/the-cellophane-and-clear-rinse-thread.227875/

This is what I used to use:

I see this one is cheaper at Sally's:

LushLox

I used to use Frederick Fekkai's Salon Glaze which was lovely, I got a lot of bling from it. I may have to revisit and put it back on the list, either that or his Glossing Creme which was amazing!

eta: Fabulous post from Lovie about shine treatments, although I probably wouldn't DC overnight, 30-45 minutes with heat is sufficient for me. I might do a glaze treatment straight after my next trim.

Application: How I Apply Glossing Treatments
I first ensure my hair has been in its healthiest condition for a consistent duration before I do any treatment: no splits, clean even ends, not over/under moisture protein, stressed parts, scalp irritation, shedding, breakage, etc. etc.

Once this is confirmed, I take the following steps to provide a self-administered "glossing" treatment:

 Wash hair usually night before I go to sleep. Wrap head in towel to soak excess moisture. Apply deep conditioner.
 Deep condition hair over night.
 In morning, rinse conditioner out of hair. Hair is clean, freshly washed, and well conditioned.
 Drape towel over head. Don't rub or twist. Keep on head while I prep skin for face mask, by the time i am done towel soaks up excess moisture for more product to be absorbed in strands.
 Apply gloss treatment to length of hair. I apply TONS of product, and wrap head very tightly with saran wrap.
 Apply plastic conditioning cap (just because) and sit under dryer for about 30 minutes. I have the heat on my Pibbs up as hot as I can stand it.
 Shower as usual, rinsing gloss treatment, mask and scrubbing back last.
 Style hair as desired.

Other things to note.

I have samples of FF that I have not used. I used Graham Webb High-Gloss Rinse for many years, but I recently switched to Sebastian Cellophanes Colour Shine in Clear, which provides results that last for weeks.

I have also applied directly after self-relaxing w/Phytospecific Index I, when the hair is more porous and the product will penetrate and seal better. I had excellent results. If other users have experience with doing a rinse while relaxing, please advise, this topic interests me.

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
That is veeeeery interesting and I see how it could be true. :scratchchin:

It's a protective coating. After I wash, I apply directly to towel dried hair and thoroughly comb through usually with my Denman. After sitting under the dryer for 20-30 mins with it, I apply a moisturizing conditioner right on top of it and sit for another 30. Then rinse. I try to do it once a month but I've been slacking. I definitely notice a difference when I'm super consistent.

Evolving78

It's a protective coating. After I wash, I apply directly to towel dried hair and thoroughly comb through usually with my Denman. After sitting under the dryer for 20-30 mins with it, I apply a moisturizing conditioner right on top of it and sit for another 30. Then rinse. I try to do it once a month but I've been slacking. I definitely notice a difference when I'm super consistent.
That’s pretty much what a rinse is. They usually have protein in them, so I deem them as a protein treatment for me.

RUBY

I have adore semi permenant indigo dye in my hair now. It didn't show up but everytime I wash my hair and style it I know it's there on my strands. In the past I used the clear but can't say I noticed a difference. I will use the clear again as maybe it will have a cumulative effect.

Browndilocks

That’s pretty much what a rinse is. They usually have protein in them, so I deem them as a protein treatment for me.

I like my protein to have just a tad bit more umph than a clear rinse. So I will usually protein treat my hair the week before or use a mild protein shampoo and conditioner on the same day that I put it in.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

@shortdub78 I used color rinses back when I was salon dependent but never as DIYer. I've read some experience dryness from rinses. Perhaps those have protein sensitive hair....so, I never tried it but always been curious. What brand do you use?

Evolving78

@shortdub78 I used color rinses back when I was salon dependent but never as DIYer. I've read some experience dryness from rinses. Perhaps those have protein sensitive hair....so, I never tried it but always been curious. What brand do you use?
I use everything! Lol but for clear rinse it has been the cellophane and adore. I like Adore Jet Black rinse for grey hair. I use ION and clariol too. I can use them, but when I do, I don’t need to use protein conditioners, or treatments. I’m low porosity, so that’s all the coating I need since I use them 1-2 a month.

Evolving78

I used to use them all the time when I was relaxed. All the different brands. I tried it one time on my natural hair and it sealed my strands SHUT. I was so confused because I consider my natural hair to be high Po.

That said, I’m interested in trying again. Lol But I want to see if henna gives me any added shine first.
Yeah, using them on my natural hair is challenging. I was using a clear one, then turned around and was using Ecostyler gel. I also thought since my hair was bleached, I needed a mild to medium protein treatment. Boy was I wrong.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I use the Sally Ion one when I color my hair, which isn't frequently. I was thinking of adding the John Frieda one because it's cheaper and easier to handle.

Whenever I use the Ion one, I do notice my hair is drier but it doesn't feel like a protein treatment to me. I've learned to counteract it by doing a super moisturizing DC the week before and after I use the rinse. I also try to eliminate as much extra added protein in my routine as well.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I definitely still use them, I like the cheap Adore one.
I'm obsessed with having a nice sheen on my hair so I dye it jet black and then do clear rinses sometimes.

I feel that conversations like this used to have more people participating because more people were wearing their hair out? Is that it? Or is it because less members are relaxed? Idk I just feel like people are barely talking about the more aesthetic nuances of hair care anymore on this board.
Either way, nice to see you posting over here!! Even if you had to have a little mini self-conversation at first :lol:

Browndilocks

I definitely still use them, I like the cheap Adore one.
I'm obsessed with having a nice sheen on my hair so I dye it jet black and then do clear rinses sometimes.

I feel that conversations like this used to have more people participating because more people were wearing their hair out? Is that it? Or is it because less members are relaxed? Idk I just feel like people are barely talking about the more aesthetic nuances of hair care anymore on this board.
Either way, nice to see you posting over here!! Even if you had to have a little mini self-conversation at first :lol:

I think is a combination of those things. I commented in another thread that my favorite protein conditioner has been discontinued and nobody else shared in my devastation :lol:. I'm certain its in part because so many people used protein only when they were relaxed.

Browndilocks

I’ve never considered a rinse a protein treatment. I need to check some ingredients because this has thrown me off.

Its considered a protein because it deposits onto your hair, filling the holes in the cuticle. That's why if you do a colored semi permanent on your hair while it is damaged, the color will deposit darker than normal because it's filling the holes.

For that super blingy shine, apply a clear rinse for 2 washes in a row.