Anyone Successful With Relaxing Every 6-8 Weeks

PuddingPop

As directed?

I know that many of us stretch relaxers for much longer but does anyone relax often and still maintain healthy hair?
My dd is relaxed and it seems that stretching does her hair more harm than good and I'm considering going back to every 8 weeks at most.

LiftedUp

Every 8 weeks, sometimes 9. Stretching doesn't work for my lifestyle. I also go by my hairdresser 2 weeks before my relaxer to get my roots blown out. My strands can't take the 2 textures. The week before my touch up is the only week I don't wash weekly. My natural hair is fine with extreme shrinkage.

I got yo mbl last month and trimmed to bsl since I'm removing colour .

I do go to a healthy hair stylist so that could be the difference. We're aiming for wsl.

CityGirl

I relax every 6-8 weeks. Longer than that and I start to have problems. I co-wash DAILY except for relaxer week and that's a real struggle. I use a leave in conditioner, what I like to call a mid-level oil and then I seal all of that with coconut oil.
On relaxer week I stop co-washing 48 hours before I get my relaxer. On relaxer day I use some oil on my scalp and Ojon or coconut oil on my hair to protect my strands from the relaxer. This regimen has worked for me for the last several years. I started out at barely shoulder length and I am now BSL and very, very happy.
I learned a lot from being on this board.

greenandchic

I relax every 6-8 weeks. Longer than that and I start to have problems. I co-wash DAILY except for relaxer week and that's a real struggle. I use a leave in conditioner, what I like to call a mid-level oil and then I seal all of that with coconut oil.
On relaxer week I stop co-washing 48 hours before I get my relaxer. On relaxer day I use some oil on my scalp and Ojon or coconut oil on my hair to protect my strands from the relaxer. This regimen has worked for me for the last several years. I started out at barely shoulder length and I am now BSL and very, very happy.
I learned a lot from being on this board.

@CityGirl - How do you wear/style your hair? I tend to follow those who wash (shampoo and/or cowash often) relaxed or natural since stretching out my wash days doesn't work for me.

Britt

Stretching isn't for everyone. Some people get a lot of breakage doing so from the vast difference between the two textures. If you're going to relax so often up your protein and find a competent stylist that will not overlap your touchups and over process your hair.

CityGirl

@CityGirl - How do you wear/style your hair? I tend to follow those who wash (shampoo and/or cowash often) relaxed or natural since stretching out my wash days doesn't work for me.
@greenandchic I wear my hair in a bun pretty much every single day. If I feel like being "fancy" then I blow dry on my cool setting and I flat iron on the lowest setting that my flat iron has. I have one of those CHI flat irons. It doesn't take much heat at all to get my hair straight. It's funny because when I do wear my hair out and flat ironed, people have told me they didn't know I had that much hair. I wear it in a bun because its easier and I also run in the morning before work, so I MUST rinse out the sweat and the co-washing just works. If flat out just works, and coconut oil is EVERYTHING!!!

greenandchic

@greenandchic I wear my hair in a bun pretty much every single day. If I feel like being "fancy" then I blow dry on my cool setting and I flat iron on the lowest setting that my flat iron has. I have one of those CHI flat irons. It doesn't take much heat at all to get my hair straight. It's funny because when I do wear my hair out and flat ironed, people have told me they didn't know I had that much hair. I wear it in a bun because its easier and I also run in the morning before work, so I MUST rinse out the sweat and the co-washing just works. If flat out just works, and coconut oil is EVERYTHING!!!

Thank, @CityGirl! Buns seems to be the easiest style for those of us who wash often. I will try drying on cool this coming winter so that I'm not walking around with a wet head all day...