Anyone Tried These Two Combinations To Help With Dry/brittle Hair?

all_1_length

Hello Everyone,

I'm back. Still have dry hair. Used products suggested from my prior thread (Joico Moisture Recovery Balm, Silk Elements Mega Silk, Camille Rose, Oyin, etc). No change.

I don't know what's going on but I'm determined to get to the bottom of the problem.

I came across reviews for SoftSheen Carso's HydraSteam line (Shampoo, Masque, Leave-In, Cream, Oil). The masque has to be used with a steamer.

Has anyone tried the system before? It has been discontinued but I see them in my local beauty supply stores.

Any advice on steaming hair? Is it beneficial? Any adverse effects?

As a reminder: I am transitioning from major heat damage. I cut a lot off since my thread in October. I have about two inches left. I've tried eliminating all protein, no coconut oil, done hot oil treatments, etc. but they don't work.

My hair tangles after I detangle. I then have to spend another 30 minutes after deep conditioning to detangle again, and I get breakage. Even after deep conditioning, my hair feels squeaky clean, not soft at all. Once my hair is dry (I air dry) it is rock hard and brittle.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to view the question, read it and commenting. I really really appreciate it.
Hello Everyone,

I'm back. Still have dry hair. Used products suggested from my prior thread (Joico Moisture Recovery Balm, Silk Elements Mega Silk, Camille Rose, Oyin, etc). No change.

I don't know what's going on but I'm determined to get to the bottom of the problem.

I came across reviews for SoftSheen Carso's HydraSteam line (Shampoo, Masque, Leave-In, Cream, Oil). The masque has to be used with a steamer.

Has anyone tried the system before? It has been discontinued but I see them in my local beauty supply stores.

Any advice on steaming hair? Is it beneficial? Any adverse effects?

As a reminder: I am transitioning from major heat damage. I cut a lot off since my thread in October. I have about two inches left. I've tried eliminating all protein, no coconut oil, done hot oil treatments, etc. but they don't work.

My hair tangles after I detangle. I then have to spend another 30 minutes after deep conditioning to detangle again, and I get breakage. Even after deep conditioning, my hair feels squeaky clean, not soft at all. Once my hair is dry (I air dry) it is rock hard and brittle.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to view the question, read it and commenting. I really really appreciate it.
Set up an appointment with a stylist and have a consultation. If you haven't taken off all of your split ends then that might be the problem with your hair being dry and tangled. All you probably need is a good trim/cut.

Evolving78

Hi gorgeoushair. My regimen is as follows:

****Weekly:

Spray my hair with water and add Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and detangle. My hair gets really tangled so I detangle before shampooing.
Shampoo: Design Essentials Naturals
Deep Condition: Silk Elements Megasilk
Leave-In: Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk (Used it for the first time this past Sunday)
Oil: Grapeseed
Cream: Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter (Used it for the first time this past Sunday)

Air dry in twists. By the time my hair is mid way dry, its already hard and crunchy. When it's fully dry, it is rock hard and very very crunchy.

****Daily:

Moisturize and style (bun only). I switch the positions. Its mainly low. I cannot style my hair any other way because of the problem I'm having with dryness and retaining moisture.

Moisturizers: Talijah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (Spray)
Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
Oil: Grapseed
By the end of the day, my hair is dry like hay (rhyme time lol).:bouncy:This happens no matter what products I use.

Does anyone want to switch? LOL...:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:
That grapeseed oil is drying.. do you still use it? This is old, but you never know right?

Evolving78

I saw another where you said it’s drying so I stopped. Which oils do you find are not drying? Thank you!
Oils that are fatty, like olive oil, avocado, coconut, shea oil, oils that have to be melted down. Oils that are rich, but aren’t penetrating. They sit on top of the hair, but not as coated as petroleum, etc..
plant oils that penetrate will dry the hair for some. Some people may have oily scalps, so it might not have that much of an effect on them as other. And remember oil is a sealant. It has nourishing properties and adds slip, but it will still sit on the hair and cause buildup.
Also don’t get food grade oils. People go to the grocery store and get oil they would cook with.. go to the healthfood store and to the skincare section.

snookes

Oils that are fatty, like olive oil, avocado, coconut, shea oil, oils that have to be melted down. Oils that are rich, but aren’t penetrating. They sit on top of the hair, but not as coated as petroleum, etc..
plant oils that penetrate will dry the hair for some. Some people may have oily scalps, so it might not have that much of an effect on them as other. And remember oil is a sealant. It has nourishing properties and adds slip, but it will still sit on the hair and cause buildup.
Also don’t get food grade oils. People go to the grocery store and get oil they would cook with.. go to the healthfood store and to the skincare section.
Please tell what is wrong with using food grade oils??

ThursdayGirl

Please tell what is wrong with using food grade oils??

Good question. One thing I can think of is that sometimes the food grade oils have been processed with a lot of heat which removes/inactivates vitamins and phytochemicals. It may be a lower quality oil.

If you want to use oil from the grocery store, read the label and try to buy cold-pressed oil. Manufacturers use less heat when extracting the oil and beneficial chemicals are more likely to be intact.

Also depending upon the oil, the quality may be indicated by the name. Olive oil for example comes as different grades. Extra virgin cold pressed would be from the first pressing of the olives (hopefully has more beneficial compounds in it) but virgin olive oil would come from a later pressing (may have lower amounts of beneficials).

If you go to the skincare isle or a health food store, the oils are often produced to retain the healthy/beneficial compounds. The oils may also come from organic origins. Unless you specifically look for organic oils at the grocery store, what you purchase probably does not come from organic sources.

I suspect this is what @Evolving78 was getting at.

snookes

I would think food grade oils would be a better quality than skincare oils since you will ingest them so I'm not sure I understand either.
Like yeah why would you remove all the health benefits from oil for food consumption? Makes no sense to me either