Anyone use Madison Reed, eSalon and similar color companies?

abioni

My hair is grey and I'm relaxed. I had a setback last year, a large portion of my hair at the back broke off and I suspect it was the hair dyes I used (Sally's Ion and Clairol for grey hair). I started using Henna and Indigo but it's drying and doesn't last long. The last time I Henna'ed was August.

I want to try one of these companies since they personalized the dye for your hair. I plan to use Olaplex with it. Anyone have experience with any of them?

faithVA

I use both. I Have been using eSalon for my demi-permanent which I have been using maybe 1.5 years. I have used Madison Reed once for my permanent color in July or August. I like both. I went with Madison Reed for my permanent color because it is supposed to be more natural. I started with eSalon though.

With eSalon I ordered demi-permanent which I do about every 2 to 3 months depending on how lazy it is. I started with dark brown, then had them add some red and then had them back off on the red. It is relatively easy to have them adjust the color. It colors my grays well around my temples and gives me a consistent color. I love the way they have put the kit together. It is more high end than Madison Reed. You get the color, shampoo, conditioner and 2 gloves. You can adjust the frequency of how often you get the kits. Previously when using other colors and shampooing and conditioning afterwards, I found that the color would bleed so I would rinse as well as I should. But even with this demi-permanent I can fully shampoo and condition and my color still looks great. And I really like their shampoo.

I've only done the Madison Reed once so I can't really give a good review yet. The kit isn't as high end but it contains everything you need. I colored in July or August and my color held up fine. I haven't had any issues with it so far. I applied my demi-permanent at my roots in November.

I have pictures all over. Any pictures from this year will show my color. And I know there is a color thread that I took pictures for specifically that show the eSalon color.

abioni

Thanks for your review. I'm planning on getting permanent color. A lot of reviews said Madison Reed didn't cover grey well and it washed out quickly even though it's permanent color.

faithVA

Thanks for your review. I'm planning on getting permanent color. A lot of reviews said Madison Reed didn't cover grey well and it washed out quickly even though it's permanent color.

I didn't have any issue with it. One thing I do before I do color is make sure I either freshly wash my hair or I have very minimal product on my hair like a foam. How do you prep your hair for a color treatment?

If I have product on my hair the color won't take. But I had no issues with my color taking. And it did not wash out.

What I have noticed and this is just my hair. I have red undertones. And no matter what color you put in my hair at some point the red in my hair will overtake the color. So I put in a really dark brown and after a few weeks you could see the red showing up. But this happened when I went to the salon for permanent color.

But I think despite the permanent color, grays will eventually turn a different color than the rest of the hair. It won't be gray or the dye color but a softer color than the dye color. I don't mind that so much because a blend of colors to me makes the hair look more natural

But l've only used the MR once. I plan to use it every 6 months and then use the demi-permanent in between.

faithVA

What's the benefit of using permanent color every 6 months and using demi in between?

For my hair, a demi is a little gentler on the hair so I don't mind using it more often. I also color my hair in its curly state so I need those extra months to more easily color it without overlap. You can imagine that 3 months of growth on curly hair doesn't necessarily give me a good section to color.

abioni

For my hair, a demi is a little gentler on the hair so I don't mind using it more often. I also color my hair in its curly state so I need those extra months to more easily color it without overlap. You can imagine that 3 months of growth on curly hair doesn't necessarily give me a good section to color.

That makes sense. So Madison doesn't offer demi color?