Anyone wash hair with baking soda?

meverllyn1

Hi:wave:, I was on youtube the other day and a lady was talking about using baking soda to shampoo your hair. If you use baking soda too much can it dry your hair. I tried it last night, and:love: boy was my hair soft. Since i have gotten it soft i don't want to dry it out now. If baking soda is safe to use, then how often can i use it?

Meverllyn

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I tried the baking soda wash a couple of days ago for the first time and my hair turned out great too.It seems like it would safe enough to use on a regular basis because it doesn't strip your hair like shampoo can, but I am not an expert.

meverllyn1

Chellero, thanks for your reply. I was just on nappturality and someone was talking about putting baking soda in your conditoner (just a small amount). But she didn't say how often you can use it. So i emailed her ......waiting for her reply. But some was saying to often can be drying, i guess it depends on how much you use. If you use a small amount regularly, it might not be drying. I'll see.....just waiting to hear from her. Meverllyn

bluefolli

I use baking soda rinses after working out at the gym, sometimes. It gets it clean but sometimes it makes my hair too soft. For me that leads to SNAPville.

bluefolli

If I remember correctly, the PH is gentle enough to clean you scalp everyday. I am a no-poo girl 99% of the time, so I use it to make sure my scalp is fresh. Sometimes, CW can leave my scalp feeling coated and not very clean.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Other than softness, How exactly is baking soda good for the hair?

It does not contain the laurel sulphate that is in shampoo which is the lather agent which is a drying agent. It gets rid of the dirt but not your natural oils.

MsCounsel

I use baking soda, water and ACV to clean my hair - once or twice a week. I've never experienced any problems. I do not use shampoo at all anymore. If my scalp feels uncomfortable, I take a little baking soda with water make a very watery paste and apply it to my scalp area. GENTLYYYYYY LIGHTLYYYYYY massage/pat = clean scalp. Do not scrub your scalp.:nono:

I also co-wash but that's it. I'm completely done with conventional shampoos. My hair is like night and day without the poos.

Nonie

Baking soda I think works for people that use a lot of products. I don't and when I used baking soda, it just about ruined my hair. I ended up with hard-as-a-brush hair that looked dull and almost an ashy color. It also smelled like I was relaxing my hair. I will admit I added it to my shampoo because back then, I understood that it made a regular ol' shampoo like CON a clarifier. Maybe that was the mistake I made. But really, I'm not a fan of high pH products so I haven't tried it again. I did try it on my skin too when I heard raves about it. Hated that too. So for me Baking Soda is a :nono:

I usually don't clarify or need to so maybe that's another reason my hair hated it.

naturalepiphany

While I was transitioning I was big on only using baking soda and water to wash my hair and I completely stopped using shampoos, but then I BC'ed and put gel in my hair all summer so I bought a Dominican Shampoo with no sulfates it did the job of getting rid of the gunk a lot better than my baking soda rinse. But I've noticed now that I've stopped using the gel and I'm still using the shampoo that my hair is hard even after deep conditioning. Last week I decided to go back to my baking soda and water cleanser and ditched the shampoo, my hair is so much softer. I also went back to cowashing with a little baking soda so I get a two in one effect (cleansing and conditioning). I absolutely love it I don't think I'll ever stop using baking soda again. It's definitely one of my staples.

As for using it everyday, I can't say I only washed my hair with baking soda and water once a week and sometimes I co washed in the middle of the week without baking soda. If my hair feels a little hard in the middle of the week then I would add a little baking soda to the conditioner. I think when you use baking soda you really have to listen to your hair and give it what it needs.

melissa-bee

Yes, i've only tried this 3 times so far about 2 weeks apart and i like it so far. I used to get a flaky scalp about 5 days after washing but now it's almost not existent and i can last about 12 days Before washing.

MrsSmitty77

I have just tried baking soda wash for the first time and I love it so far. I have been bunning for a few weeks and I wanted to gently cleanse my hair for a rollerset. So far so good. My hair was very easy to detangle.

UGQueen

u should def use baking soda. i looove it. i use once a week and my hair looves it too

good luck. and plus its so much cheaper than poos

MrsSmitty77

Is there a right and a wrong way to use it? Today I just put a couple spoons of it in a cup with some warm water and poured it over my head, then I worked it in a bit and rinsed. Is that good or bad?

virtuenow

Baking soda? That sounds rather harsh for the hair. I was using Arm & Hammer Baking soda toothpaste and my dentist encouraged me to stop b/c it is "too harsh" & "strips the tooth enamel". Likewise, I imagine that baking soda would be harsh on the hair and potentially strip it of vitamins and natural oil/luster.

However, after reading your reviews, I am a bit tempted to try it. I am actually at a point of switching over to all non-conventional products for both daily moisture and for my conditioner washes. (IN fact, I am trying avocado cond for the first time tonight!). Anyway, I may try this vinegar & baking soda mix on my next wash (after a bit more convincing).

JJamiah

Yes it is okay to use on relaxed hair, it is a great clarifying additive to shampoo, I love it it definitely strips the gunk off the hair.

melissa-bee

^i use it alone with water, it works just fine. It doesn't lather though so it may seem like it's not cleaning it, but it really does

Crown

If your hair is not fine and you use a lot of products, baking soda can be good. It is more a soft clarifying product.

JJamiah

is it better to use it alone or add it to shampoo?

I use it with my clarifying shampoo to get a deep clarifying experience and LOVE it, my hair feels wonderful afterwards. I use it once every 6 months or when I feel a build up as would for any clarifying treatment. :)