Anyone who doesn't "need" protein?

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
My hair is naturally thick and course. I dc every week for moisture but every time I use a protein (once a month) my hair gets too hard. Are there some ladies on here that only need to do their protein treatments once a month or less?
Granted I do tend to forget my follow-up moisturizer.
Maybe that's what it is?

Neith

I also have coarse hair and I experience hardness and dryness with protein. It even makes my hair break some. It returns to normal after a few days though.

It makes sense. I have healthy, natural hair. It's very coarse and I don't use heat at all. I don't color my hair. I just don't need protein!

My shampoos have light proteins in them (aloe, soy, milk). I will also slip a few drops of SAA in my conditioner every few weeks. That's all my hair tolerates well.

msa

I do believe some people don't "need" external sources of protein (like Neith) because they already have healthy hair. But, you probably experienced some of that hardness because you didn't follow up with a moisturizer. Make sure you do that next time and see how your hair feels.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I'll wait a few weeks and then do the protein thing again. I seem to only need it right after I relax, other than that, my hair has never been fond of it. I'll make sure to MOISTURIZE afterwards. I'm trying to avoid a set back.

Btw. is 20 hairs too much to lose? I only wash and detangle once a week...