Anyone Who Speaks French Who Can Translate This Video

King of Sorrow

If anyone interested, she posted an FAQ in English.

I won't be buying any chebe. I prefer our modern methods and products. However, if anybody here does please report back.:look: And be careful! Do a patch test to check for an allergic reaction before putting on your entire head!

alex114

I have ordered chebe from the American vendor, Danielle. I will begin using it and report back w/ initial findings!

An additional point: Henna and chebe might share their powdery texture, but I think the effects of the two products on hair must be completely different, based on Miss Sahel's explanations. Henna is meant to coat the hair and form a protective barrier around each strand, drying down to a clay like consistency on the hair and requiring lots of moisture after a treatment. Chebe, on the other hand, is meant to nourish and moisturize the hair, creating an environment of perfect and 'indefinite' (5 days lol) moisture retention. Once I start using chebe, I plan on continuing my quarterly henna treatments.

alex114

Hi everyone,
I received my chebe today, and mixed it with vegetable oil on hair dampened with Oyin Juices and Berries. So far, I'm seeing some interesting results. Though the texture is gritty in my palm, once it goes on my hair with the oil, it seems to stop feeling that way. Instead, it seems to make my 4C coils (braided out) drop and retain moisture in a way it doesn't usually, and I think my hair already retains moisture quite well. I'll give another update next week once I wash/rinse and do it again.

jennex

Hi everyone,
I received my chebe today, and mixed it with vegetable oil on hair dampened with Oyin Juices and Berries. So far, I'm seeing some interesting results. Though the texture is gritty in my palm, once it goes on my hair with the oil, it seems to stop feeling that way. Instead, it seems to make my 4C coils (braided out) drop and retain moisture in a way it doesn't usually, and I think my hair already retains moisture quite well. I'll give another update next week once I wash/rinse and do it again.

Do you mean it stretches your hair? Or that it hangs more?

Last edited:

alex114

Do you mean it stretches your hair? Or that it hangs more?
Hm. I think a mixture of both. I've had my hair out for about 4 days now, and usually by now there is much more shrinkage and dryness. So when I first took my hair out of its plaits, it was hanging more than usual (as in people were telling me that my hair grew from 3 weeks ago, when it usually takes more like 7 months of growth for it to be visible to other people), but it also has my hair not shrinking as much now, days later.

Also, sorry I took forever! Business school (and law school) is kicking my butt!

jennex

Hm. I think a mixture of both. I've had my hair out for about 4 days now, and usually by now there is much more shrinkage and dryness. So when I first took my hair out of its plaits, it was hanging more than usual (as in people were telling me that my hair grew from 3 weeks ago, when it usually takes more like 7 months of growth for it to be visible to other people), but it also has my hair not shrinking as much now, days later.

Also, sorry I took forever! Business school (and law school) is kicking my butt!

No problem! Life happens. So can you tell that the powder is your hair? Can you see specks of it?

jennex

Unfortunately, yes! You can kind of see it the first day you put it in-- in the days after that, it disappears, but it's not like a white cast or anything, more like a few brown specks.

Well, that's not so bad. Better than the white balls you can get in your hair when you mix the wrong products together. I'm curious about how it rinses out. Especially since the Chadian women in the video don't wash their hair. Anyway, thanks for the update!

kassieme

She's posted the video with an english narration. She has another video were she responds to questions and addresses the texture issue. It's in French and 13 mins long so it'll take me some time to translate. However, she does go a bit into it in the description for this video along with providing the instructions for the prepation so I'll copy it below.

If you want to order shébé mixture from Chad you can contact this email [email protected] -

Instagram : Miss Sahel
Snapchat : Miss-Sahel
Face : Miss Sahel
Twitter :Miss_Sahel_

I went to Chad to unveil the haircare secrets of an African ethnic group called the "Basara Arabs." The Basara Arab women are known to have very long naturally coarse hair that famously goes passed their rear ends. They cover their hair in a home made mixture that keeps their hair super moisturized and lubricated which is the reason given for why they say their hair never breaks; even from childhood.

Ingredients:
- Shébé seeds (Croton zambesicus/Croton du Zambèze)
- "Mahllaba soubiane" seeds
- "Missic" stone to scent
- Cloves
- "Samour" resin
- Scented oil (your choice)
- Hair Grease or pomade (your choice)

The ingredients are very specific to Chad and sudan. I'm not sure if the ingredients in the powders they use can be found anywhere in the West.

Preparation:
- The Shébé seeds, mahellaba soubianne, and cloves are individually grilled and separated. Then individually ground into a fine powder in a sort of mortar and pestle set up and those ground powders are also separated.
- The Hair Grease and scented oil are mixed together in a separate container and set aside
- The powders are then combined in the same mortar and mixed together, a few spoonfuls of the oil/grease mixture are added in and the container set aside, then that is all mixed together giving the once fine powder a texture closer to soil.
- The Missic and Resin are then ground together into a powder and added to the "soil-like" mixture..

Directions:
- The first step is to get the hair wet so they do so using regular water and alternate between the scented oil/hair grease mix and the chebe powder mix until the hair is fully saturated. They then re-braid the hair and once that braid is done they wet it again with water. They repeat that routine every 3 to 5 days.

Some people may initially think that their hair length is due to genetics, after inquiring on the subject the women said that it was most definitely NOT due to genetics since they do not apply shébé powder mixture to their bangs which, in turn, stay short. However the parts of the hair which they do use the powder mixture on in their routine doesn't break and grows very long and strong.

***Disclaimer*** This kind of routine would probably not work for someone who lives in the West, or even someone who lives in Africa with a different lifestyle. No one goes out on the daily with (what is basically) deep conditioner in their hair. It could be a great add to a weekly routine nonetheless.

The texture of the hair do not look kinky because the weight of the powder relaxes the hair and gives it a curly appearance and with this weight the hair does not shrink. On the other hand, their fringes have a kinky texture.

First song is Chadian Arabic and the two others are Sudanese Arabic.

Song 1 : Un chanteur tchadien pecos
Song 2 : منتصر هلالية & شكر الله عزالدين - معزورة
Song 3 : منتصر هلالية و شكرالله عزالدين - القمر ليلة تمامو
I'm actually doing it the traditional way right now and it's not that bad. I assume though when I take my twist out down it will be flakey and crummy lol but so far my chebe encrusted three stand twists are nice n healthy

snoop

I'm actually doing it the traditional way right now and it's not that bad. I assume though when I take my twist out down it will be flakey and crummy lol but so far my chebe encrusted three stand twists are nice n healthy

How long have you been doing it for?

douglala

Unfortunately, yes! You can kind of see it the first day you put it in-- in the days after that, it disappears, but it's not like a white cast or anything, more like a few brown specks.
Are you still using the Chebe? If so, how is it going? If not, what results did you get when you were still using it?

Also what vendor did you purchase it from?

Thanks!

gn1g

Today was day 7 of having a chebe mixture in my hair. I re wet my four plaits and reapplied. I’ll be doing this every 7 days for a month and reevaluating after.

As I took my braids down my hair felt strong. There was shed hair that came out but not a lot.

what is in your mixture?

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I washed my hair yesterday after 4 weeks. Nothing adverse to report. This time around I’ll be doing it every 5 day s to see if it is a difference between 7 days.

I add the chebe to my leave in and oils then apply it to damp hair. I don’t alternate with the mixture and chebe.

Attachments

• 2E58B0E9-71D7-4D6E-8291-CA5463947E1F.jpeg
    2E58B0E9-71D7-4D6E-8291-CA5463947E1F.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 42
  • A7BD9490-8FB2-498E-BEC9-D739C015329A.jpeg
    A7BD9490-8FB2-498E-BEC9-D739C015329A.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 40

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I did my hair early because I’ll be out and about Saturday. I’ll be doing this until the 25th then putting a protective style in until January. After that I’ll come back to chebe until April.

Attachments

• 1A711407-A6AB-48AB-B87C-F9A6B4169DE8.jpeg
    1A711407-A6AB-48AB-B87C-F9A6B4169DE8.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 28

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This time around my leave in plus the shea butter blend and oils I blended together resulted in my hair being greasy and just moist. I think the leave in alone with just a tad bit of oil will go better for tonights application.

I might not get to it though because I'll start cooking at soon as I get off from work tonight. We shall see. All in all, I like chebe.

King of Sorrow

I've been meaning to post this video from Miss Sahel's Instagram. Of the women whose hair we can see up close, the majority have 4a/b/c hair.

I'm not using chebe but these videos gave me the extra push I needed to put my hair away and find a braided style I could rock as my signature look. I've been wearing braid extensions for the past 6 months and have had more retention in this time then in the previous 18 months. Leaving our hair alone (while making sure to still care for it) just works. And I prefer it this way and don't feel like I'm missing anything. I don't think butt-length hair is in my personal, family genetic make-up, but waist length has always seemed super attainable and now I feel like I can get there one year earlier then expected now that my hair has fewer opportunities to experience breakage.

Last edited: