APL`13 Challenge

beautyintheyes

yup the heat I used these last two weeks was to much and I have splits so I have to trrim again after just a month ago I trimed oh well I might make it in 2 months in the back ima clam it when I graze anyway lol

snoop

I think my first attempt at installing Ghana plaits went well. Next time I'll have to use a mirror to make sure the back is parted properly. If I can take them out easily, then this will be my ps for the winter.

felic1

Yep. I just trimmed all my SSKs off. It sucks cause I definitely look APL in the front but it looks less when I pull my hair back. I'll probably just lurk in challenges next year.

Hey Sis! Don't give up! I am mumbling about chasing the full APL in the back with you! Boy, How long does it take? Arm your self with deep conditioner.
Load with ceramides. Aim with steaming treatments. Fire with co washing. Boy, do I have a lot of deep conditioning to do. At least I am happy when I do it. It just seems to take a lot of time. We will have fun next year!! We will get to APL together,along with a lot of other people.....:look:

BEAUTYU2U

Hey Sis! Don't give up! I am mumbling about chasing the full APL in the back with you! Boy, How long does it take? Arm your self with deep conditioner.
Load with ceramides. Aim with steaming treatments. Fire with co washing. Boy, do I have a lot of deep conditioning to do. At least I am happy when I do it. It just seems to take a lot of time. We will have fun next year!! We will get to APL together,along with a lot of other people.....:look:

Thanks, love! I really appreciate it.

apple_natural

i think that i'm claiming it a bit early. if i didn't clip like a crackhead this year, i would have made it pretty close sooo.. bsl challenge it is for 2014 :)

TwoSnapsUp

Definitely won't make APL this year. My APL is a long way from SL. It's OK. I am just glad my hair is no longer in the state it was in last year when I started this journey

WhereItsAt

That’s what I do.. I drink and I know things....
I'm 6 weeks into my Senegalese twists. I plan to take them down next weekend or sometime the week after and get a sew in. I'm not sure I will be APL by the end of this year. I know I won't be full APL until sometime well into next year. I'm debating if I will chop in Feb as it will be a full year since my last tex-lax. So I'll see in Feb what I'll do. I may just let it grow.. I'm so back and forth.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Dec 22nd (my scheduled TU) can't come fast enough.

I've been bunning during the week and wearing my wig on the weekend.

miraclediva

I straightened my hair today so I decided I'd post a pic.

ETA: sorry about the sideways photo, not sure what that's about :-/

Attachments

• image-494409785.jpg
    image-494409785.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

snoop

So last week I tried floatation therapy, which meant I my head (along with the rest of me) was sitting in an Epsom salt bath for over an hour. I think for the most part that I was able to combat the dryness, but I keep forgetting that my hair isn’t a huge fan of oils. So in trying to use oils to seal in moisture after doing a lot of washes and co-washes and even an oil rinse on the weekend, I now have a greasy head. :nono:

I tried my hand at flat twisting last night, into a high bun. I didn’t check to see what it look liked from the back. I did a quick length check last night, around a month since my last check, and my hair seems to be growing rather quickly!

I finally got my Kizure combs this week and so I’m just counting down the weeks till I get it pressed (first time having straight hair over 2+ years!) I also found out last night that my Jumbo rake has some nicks in it, so I’ll have to order a new one. :cry:

gvin89

I'm straightened this week so I will be posting pics soon.

Has anybody installed crotchet braids? How did those work for you? Please post pic and regimen if you don't mind. I think I may get some with deep wave hair.

jbwphoto1

I'm straightened this week so I will be posting pics soon.

Has anybody installed crotchet braids? How did those work for you? Please post pic and regimen if you don't mind. I think I may get some with deep wave hair.

Hi gvin89. I've yet to do my crochet braids, but this is what I'll be using as a guide. She also gives good ideas on how to keep your hair and scalp clean while wearing the style.

http://chanshealthyhappyhair.blogspot.com/search?q=crochet

WhereItsAt

Warning: Rant/vent!

I took my senegalese twists down yesterday afternoon up until early this morning. For one, all around my edges are shorter from where my transitioning hair broke off. I had to tear some braids out bc they were wrapped around too much in the twists. I finally got them out and my hair looks terrible and stagnant. I haven't detangled yet but my hair looked like it hasnt grown a single inch in those twists.

My left side is still shorter than my right side and it hasnt grown at all and it doesnt seem like its growing. I just want my hair to grow and I dont understand why it wont grow. Its like I am not ever meant to have healthy and long hair. It looks terrible natural but I hate to perm it bc it seems so lifeless. If my hair was all the same length then maybe I would have a normal thickness. I dont. It looks chewed up and spit out and I cut it off 2 years ago so it should be much longer than it is but its not. I am tired of struggling with my hair. I just want hair I can be proud of wearing out. You would think as much as I have hid it, I would reveal nice hair. I do not have nice hair and I dont understand why my hair hates me so much.

Im now about to go and detangle and probably rip the rest of it out... Ill be getting a sew in today or tomorrow for at least two months. :-(

Thanks for reading/listening..

Last edited:

Frizzyb

Warning: Rant/vent! I took my senegalese twists down yesterday afternoon up until early this morning. For one, all around my edges are shorter from where my transitioning hair broke off. I had to tear some braids out bc they were wrapped around too much in the twists. I finally got them out and my hair looks terrible and stagnant. I haven't detangled yet but my hair looked like it hasnt grown a single inch in those twists. My left side is still shorter than my right side and it hasnt grown at all and it doesnt seem like its growing. I just want my hair to grow and I dont understand why it wont grow. Its like I am not ever meant to have healthy and long hair. It looks terrible natural but I hate to perm it bc it seems so lifeless. If my hair was all the same length then maybe I would have a normal thickness. I dont. It looks chewed up and spit out and I cut it off 2 years ago so it should be much longer than it is but its not. I am tired of struggling with my hair. I just want hair I can be proud of wearing out. You would think as much as I have hid it, I would reveal nice hair. I do not have nice hair and I dont understand why my hair hates me so much. Im now about to go and detangle and probably rip the rest of it out... Ill be getting a sew in today or tomorrow for at least two months. :-( Thanks for reading/listening..

Thanks for venting,
I know how you feel... Seems like I too, have the most disrespectful head of hair!!! No matter how much time, technique or high end product I put into her I still get slim results. I just want long healthy hair already!!!!

felic1

Warning: Rant/vent!

I took my senegalese twists down yesterday afternoon up until early this morning. For one, all around my edges are shorter from where my transitioning hair broke off. I had to tear some braids out bc they were wrapped around too much in the twists. I finally got them out and my hair looks terrible and stagnant. I haven't detangled yet but my hair looked like it hasnt grown a single inch in those twists.

My left side is still shorter than my right side and it hasnt grown at all and it doesnt seem like its growing. I just want my hair to grow and I dont understand why it wont grow. Its like I am not ever meant to have healthy and long hair. It looks terrible natural but I hate to perm it bc it seems so lifeless. If my hair was all the same length then maybe I would have a normal thickness. I dont. It looks chewed up and spit out and I cut it off 2 years ago so it should be much longer than it is but its not. I am tired of struggling with my hair. I just want hair I can be proud of wearing out. You would think as much as I have hid it, I would reveal nice hair. I do not have nice hair and I dont understand why my hair hates me so much.

Im now about to go and detangle and probably rip the rest of it out... Ill be getting a sew in today or tomorrow for at least two months. :-(

Thanks for reading/listening..

Hello WhereItsAt... I had a damaging experience with sengelese twists last year. Last summer. I am just recovering from all the breaks, chips, and straight up bald chunk I lost in the front right hair line. I have had to baby my hair with deep conditioners, oil soaks, treatments and Now I am doing 2 treatments on Tuesday and then two on Friday. My hair is better. I am not saying all of this because I am trying to say that you are not knowledgeable. After this hair butchering, I bought a stack of wigs and thus am able to frequently treat my hair two to three times a week. I use ceramides and add them to my conditioner. I went to organic olive oil to make sure I am using honest to good ness olive. I use evco for pre poo's unless I am getting an olive oil or ceramide oil soak.I also add some available DEEP conditioner to the oil and go under a cap or a dryer to assist with penetration. lamaria211 talked about some napa valley grapseed oil. It comes from a company that makes their own oil.I thought I was more likely to get true grapeseed if I bought that. They had it and the organic olive oil at Whole Foods. I picked up some grapeseed, olive, wheat germ, extra virgin coconut oil (2), and a bottle of pumpkin seed oil to add to my deep conditioners next year. It is like a battle and the general has to call troops for reinforcements. I joined the tea and ayurvedic challenge as well as the ceramide and deep conditioner. I deep condition with heat in a portable dryer under caps. I swear this hair journey is a battle against breakage and damage. I saw some macadamia oil at whole foods as well. All these people are raving about these macadamia conditioners. I figured some real oil would not hurt my war plan. I need to review Brazil nut oil. There is a thread on oils that I just printed that was posted by Coffee. If you have some time, we would LOVE to have you with us in any challenge listed. I mean no offense. You may be in some and I just do not remember your name. We have great tips and the veterans of LHCF are available to assist with our battle plans. Love Ya!!:yep:

apple_natural

@WhereItsAt yea. they are so cute, but i had the same experience this year with twists. they are not a good protective style for me. my ends wrapped up in the kinky hair and i had to cut it up pretty badly AND i had to do some major baggying and even GHE for a while to get moisture back. i didn't retain anything. no more twists for me. just don't overreact. clip the bad ends and put it in a tried and true protective style for you for a while and cut twists out as a protective style. thats what i did. just clip it and move on or else i would end up cutting all my hair off out of frustration and starting over without realizing that this is a part of the growth process. finding what works and what doesnt. leave what doesnt in the past and move on

pearlific1

I'm patiently waiting for reveal time. I won't be straightening my hair until then. I hope I'm close to APL. I just can't stay away from the scissors :nono:

WhereItsAt

Thanks everyone for reading my rant. Those twists did a number on my hair. I will not be getting twists ever again. Ill stick to my sew ins from now on.. I got a sew in today and its perfect. Not sore, not too tight, just perfect. Its clear Ill be in the 2014 APL challenge.

Ill continue to baby my hair under my sew in and hope for the best. I hope this setback brings a comeback for my hair. My newgrowth is now becoming something to contend with...

yaya24

I am getting a TU tomorrow and will post my EOY picture sometime during the week.
I hope I am really close to APL & Full APL by April 2014.

I really hope to be able to just get a touch up and leave. No style.
My beautician might not go for that but fingers are crossed she will understand.

I want to go back home following my touch up:

-Re-neutralize
-French Perm Stabilizer
-DC under steamer

This challenge has been awesome! I CAN'T WAIT FOR EVERYONE'S REVEAL

pearlific1

I agree! This challenge has been great! I've let my hair pretty much do its own thing. Parts are APL, parts are almost APL, parts (small parts :lol:) are past APL. Can't wait until I straighten out my hair...and trim :look:

yaya24

WhereItsAt

I can't do anything that requires synthetic braiding hair. I love the look, but Senegalese twists, box braids etc do not provide the PS gains I would expect.

I've sworn them off. May 2013 I had the BADDEST boxbraids, but my hair disagreed with my decision to get them.

My hair is just starting to flourish again.

pearlific1

WhereItsAt

I can't do anything that requires synthetic braiding hair. I love the look, but Senegalese twists, box braids etc do not provide the PS gains I would expect.

I've sworn them off. May 2013 I had the BADDEST boxbraids, but my hair disagreed with my decision to get them.

My hair is just starting to flourish again

Same thing happened to me last year. I ended up losing 3-4" of hair when I removed them. Major setback.