APL`13 Challenge

Hyacinthe

I am very afraid of using braids in my hair especially for my edges everytime I say Im going to put in braids I always change my mind. It took me 4+ yrs to grow back my edges and I still have a way to go. I just can't risk it.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

snoop

I two strand twisted my hair on Sunday. I finally can put all but the front two twists into a ponytail! I'm pretty sure I needed Bobby pins as late as September to keep it all in!

naija24

I think I will be SL (barely) by my next touch up. This harsh cold though makes me afraid that I won't retain though. Argh. My bf suggested braids through the end of winter but every time I get braids I feel like it stunts my growth and dries my hair out.

Gryphyn

I'm back after a little hiatus :) My subscription expired a while ago and I just let it lapse since I've been in protective styles anyway.

I got my hair braided since I was going to be away on vaca with friends and didn't want to worry about washing, detangling, etc. when I was sharing a bathroom with others for 2 weeks. I got my hair re-done in twists after 4 weeks, and I'll be getting it redone again this weekend after 5 weeks. I can't keep extensions (or any limiting/extremely-protective styles) in for long because my scalp goes CRAZY when I don't cleanse it frequently. When my hair was loose I would wash, co-wash or rinse DAILY, so after 3 or 4 weeks of only weekly washes with diluted shampoo it's dry, flaky and itchy so 5 weeks in a PS is my absolute limit.

I plan to keep my next set of twists in until the weekend before or after Christmas, then get a texturizer touch up and wear my hair loose again and go back to my regular regimen. I'm currently 18 weeks post texlax so my texturizer will be at 22 or 23 weeks post.

My longest layers reached APL back in September, but I'm going to join the 2014 APL/BSL challenge and focus on growing the rest of my hair to APL and reaching BSL next year.

gvin89

Congratulations!!! Your hair is beautiful!

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

Thanks yaya24 and Hyacinthe. Wasn't sure if I could claim it yet. I had a few setbacks and want sure I would make it.

Kiwi, welcome back. I'm with you...joining apl/bsl challenge because I'm not ready for the mbl group.

Hyacinthe, can you share how you got your edges to grow back in? Mine are gone AGAIN this time post partum shedding.

Nat1984

Long time lurker checking in :wave:

So I joined this challenge at the start of the year, but then suffered quite a big set back (protein treatment gone wrong...) shortly after that and so decided to stop focusing on the length of my hair and just continue with my regimen and see what happened. Anyway, I had a relaxer touch up last week, and I think I may finally have reached APL?! The attached photos are from today - am in need of a trim, but generally I'm happy with the progress my hair has made this year.

Attachments

• photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 82
  • photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 84

yuhlovevybz

Updates hair in my avi after straightening today. Am I close? image-3121737718.jpg

I got so discouraged measuring the front of my hair to my armpit but seeing it from the back it's longer than I thought it was. Unfortunately I don't care about the back, I want the front to be longer :(

Rozlewis

I will be getting my last touch-up of the year on December 19th. At this time I will do an official length check. I hope I will find the I have retained length. Fingers crossed.

pearlific1

For those looking for the single BSL 2014 Challenge:

I received a few messages asking for it to be locked or deleted because there were too many BSL threads and it was confusing for subscribers. :ohwell::swearing: I knew this would happen. An update was posted in BSL 2014 before it disappeared informing challengers that thread would be locked and to consider joining a merged challenge. I apologize if the thread was removed before you saw the message.

HHG

snoop

I washed my two strand twists on Sunday, so my hair is a bit shrunken. I managed to get all of the twists into a ponytail this morning! No hair pins this week. Not sure if it has grown since this time last week or if it was just the placement of the pony. Either way, I count it as a small victory!

snoop

I'm pretty much going to be living in 2 strand twists until the end of the year. I was hoping to get my hair pressed within the next two weeks, but my mom will be going away and won't be able to do it.

I need to figure out how to style my hair for a family portrait in two weeks so I might have to try a roller set.

Hyacinthe

This thread has died down,where is everyone! I made Apl trimmed 2inches off. So Im now Im scraping Apl

Sent from galaxy S 2 using LHCF

snoop

Congrats! Are you going to post a pic?

I don't think I'll get there until the beginning of next year...

myhairgrowstoo

I already joined the BSL 2014 merged challenges but here is length check. I didn't check from the back because my straightening skills is not that good and I'm trying to save $ so I didn't go to the salon as planned....
I already posted this as my start point for the newer challenges.

View attachment 237083

View attachment 237085

I know, I know these are very sucky length check pics and I don't know exactly where I am. Oh well lol

Last edited:

quirkydimples

I haven't posted in a while because I've been busy, but also because I've been discouraged. No APL for me this year. In fact, I'm at the same place I started practically. Part of that is due to my love of blunt ends, but still.

So, next year I'm going to try something new: wigs. I've been reading threads and watching videos for the last 2-3 weeks and settled on the infamous mommy wig. When the 2014 Wig Challenge opens up, I'll join that and the 2014 APL challenge.

I've already gotten my wig and wore it out today. I'm trying to get used to it and make sure I don't look crazy. My husband inspected it and it has his seal of approval. I'm starting a new job the first week in January and plan to work out before work each day, so this will be a great time saver. It should also cut down on my PJism...but we'll see about that.

It looked crazy when I first put it on, but I worked it a bit and I really like it.

Attachments

• image-1719139724.jpg
    image-1719139724.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image-1550015899.jpg
    image-1550015899.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 43

miraclediva

Alright soooo I flunked APL 2013, gonna take it over next year. This is my last flat iron of the year so I'm posting my final pic now. I'm getting better with my regimen, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. I've never been apl so i'm really hoping to reach it in 2014. Congratulations to all who have made it and for those who didn't, we got it next year!

Attachments

• image-1031704152.jpg
    image-1031704152.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 52

quirkydimples

I don't have a length check photo, but this is my flat ironed hair two weeks ago.

Attachments

• image-1632536773.jpg
    image-1632536773.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 34

BEAUTYU2U

I think I will be doing the same. My hair hasn't been straight since August.

I know my hair is 15 different lengths since I've been trimming while my hair is curly. Oops.

Girl. You ain't said nothing! I went on a SSK rampage with scissors a few months ago.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I'll be flat ironing next Friday.
Will post pics at that time.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I had a setback!!! :sad:

I had a setback!!!!!!!!!!

No more 1x a week washing.
I think my hair has moisture overload.

I have a section near my nape that is 1 inch long (broke all the way to the line of demarcation).

What a way to end the year.

Anyway.... Mission regain is official.
I did a 2 inch trim last night to try and camouflage the sparseness.

Yipeeee.

Last edited:

snoop

I figured today would be the day to experiment. My initial intent was to do a mayo DC, but then I decided to add cocoa powder and Australian red clay to the mix. I wanted to do a heavier protein treatment other than the mayo so I added pea protein. Im not sure that it would have any affect on my hair like that, but I figured that if it works for gelatin....

I kept it in for 3 hours. I think I noticed a bit of a red tinge. Sealed with castor oil/ almond oil and a cream. Hair feels a bit greasy so I'm baggying tonight. I'll see what my hair feels like tomorrow.

I also chanced keeping my twists in for a third week. Going to stretch my hair for an event next Monday.