APL 2012 Challenge

NikkiQ

This Suave condish I've been cowashing with is NOT the business! My hair is not liking out at all. Into the garbage it goes!

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Mjon912

Well I finally finished my braids...I don't think ill be doing this again...I love the idea of this protective style but it just took way to long... Anyway ladies who've worn mini braids for a few weeks how do you wash your hair?

ForumRunner_20120708_215830.jpg

ForumRunner_20120708_215759.jpg

MrsMelodyV hi, welcome:grin:
mami2010 your hair looks nice...you've made great progress...take a few with your arms own so we can see where you are...you look close to APL if your not there already tho:yep:
felic1 how long did you have your twists in for?... I think you'll be APL by the yrs end or very very close

Last edited:

lamaria211

Mjon912 said:
Well I finally finished my braids...I don't think ill be doing this again...I love the idea of this protective style but it just took way to long... Anyway ladies who've worn mini braids for a few weeks how do you wash your hair?

MrsMelodyV hi, welcome:grin:

Soo cute, I wash by applying my cleansing conditioner and letting it sit for a long while 2+hrs then rinsing.hth

Mjon912

Soo cute, I wash by applying my cleansing conditioner and letting it sit for a long while 2+hrs then rinsing.hth

Thanks...cleansing conditioner? What's that?... Normally I prepoo with oils and honey, shampoo, condition n deep condition...can I still do this or is it to much?

JazzyOleBabe

Twenty five hours ago I was a happy camper. OK LADIES! HERE IS MY RANT.
Yesterday, After my normal wash, DC and moisturizing routine, I decided to put my hair into mini-twists. It took approx 3.5 hours non-stop. After I finished, I wanted to take a look at the finished work. Well good thing I didn't pop outside. I was mortified. The sides and the back of my hair looked great. But chile, the top/crown of my hair would have frighten small children as well as unsuspecting adults. When I looked at my head I almost fainted my damn self. I absolutely/positively have AGA(female pattern baldness). The crown of my head look like an indoor/outdoor light bulb. Why? Because All of my gray hair looks white in contrast to the henna-indigo colored hair and the circumference is larger than the palm of my hand. That awful spot could lead ships,tugboats and yachts to shore safely from 1000 yards. A total beacon in the night.
Anyway, knowing that I would have an unrestful night, before I went to bed, I researched all that I could about this condition and have taken steps to ease my mind. I will be taken Hairomega vitamins to hopefully work for me internally as well as applying Nu-hair hair serum topically. I am much calmer than I was last night at this time. Again I am still trying to move towards my goal of APL by Dec. If I don't make it, it would not be because I didn't try. Sorry for the rant. I hope you all can/will understand.

NikkiQ

Yesterday, After my normal wash, DC and moisturizing routine, I decided to put my hair into mini-twists. It took approx 3.5 hours non-stop. After I finished, I wanted to take a look at the finished work. Well good thing I didn't pop outside. I was mortified. The sides and the back of my hair looked great. But chile, the top/crown of my hair would have frighten small children as well as unsuspecting adults. When I looked at my head I almost fainted my damn self. I absolutely/positively have AGA(female pattern baldness). The crown of my head look like an indoor/outdoor light bulb. Why? Because All of my gray hair looks white in contrast to the henna-indigo colored hair and the circumference is larger than the palm of my hand. That awful spot could lead ships,tugboats and yachts to shore safely from 1000 yards. A total beacon in the night.
Anyway, knowing that I would have an unrestful night, before I went to bed, I researched all that I could about this condition and have taken steps to ease my mind. I will be taken Hairomega vitamins to hopefully work for me internally as well as applying Nu-hair hair serum topically. I am much calmer than I was last night at this time. Again I am still trying to move towards my goal of APL by Dec. If I don't make it, it would not be because I didn't try. Sorry for the rant. I hope you all can/will understand.

Calling on livinthevida!! We need you in here

longhairdreaming

JazzyOleBabe so sorry to hear that! Hopefully someone here will have some great ideas for you.

livinthevida

Good news, guys! i think I've actually reached/passed APL without knowing it (blame/thank all that protective sytling LOL) Here are some pics:
Well guys....On to the next one :)
Congratulations SkySurfer! You're on your way to BSL! :yep:

Hi ladies! I've been trolling LHCF and this challenge. I finally need to put in my stats.

~Current hair length
neck length
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
relaxed
~APL goal month
I'm really hoping for December 2012. It'll be a stretch but i know it's possible.
~Current Reggie and styling choices
I am finally learning that i don't need to use my flat irons to look decent enough to leave the house! Talk about a break through. I basically started my HHJ in early June. Since then i've been doing twistouts almost daily. I had 1 experiment with bantu knots that was a HAM (hot *** mess). I learned the hard way it takes forever for those to dry! This last week I've been doing a combo of bantu knots in the back of my head and a twistout in the front with the ends coiled. I have been getting the most compliments.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Continue dc 2x per week using heat and washing 1-2x per week. i also cowash 2-3x per week. I've been using HE LTR for washes, HE hydralicious for cowashes, NTM and KeraPro for DC, NTM leave in or ORS olice oil moisturizer for daily moisturizing, and EVCO for sealing. I also started prepooing a couple weeks ago with a mixture of EVOO and EVCO. This is ALL way more stuff that I've ever done to my hair in my life.
~Post a beginning picture
As soon as I figure this out I'm on it! My picture was taken a few days after my last relaxer on 5/23/12. I'll take an updated pic on 7/22/12 when I do my next relaxer and then I should be on the same schedule as everyone else for the Sept update. I also used to perm monthly ( i know, shame on me!) I never knew you weren't supposed to do that! This stretch will be 10 weeks, then my next stretch will another 10 weeks so i can have a fresh style for my SIL's wedding, then i will start shooting for stretching 14-16 weeks. I now know my hair can make it! Sorry this took so long guys. Thanks for the thread!
Welcome MrsMelodyV! This is a GREAT group you are joining! I LOVE sharing this with all of the newcomers! Even I aka Vida Ninja reached APL recently and keep returning to chime in when I can via the BSL 2012 Challenge! Plus there are plenty of other APL Ninjas :ninja: here too :lol:

I updated in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=630179
I think I pretty much hit APL, but I did trim back to SL. I'm ordering some Hairfinity Vitamins to see if that will spend up growth. Otherwise, I will be babying my hair this summer.
Beautiful hair RayRayFurious! & Congratulations on reaching APL! I like that you mentioned the oils used in the colder months ;) I am learning how to use a new hair oil (Wild Growth Hair Oil) for the summer and am still trying to pick up a technique on great roller setting results. Here in the East Coast in the colder months of January to May using Organic Coconut Oil (OCO) was a breeze yet I'll have to keep practicing with WGHO for a better set! ;)

Well ladies I finally decided to stop being lazy and post my update. I was hesitant if I should post the pics or not. My hair did not turn out how I wanted to, it was not completely straight and frizzy. I also cut about 1 inch off last week. I don't think I did ok with this check in. So from now till next check it I will be braiding up my hair and wigging it.

First pic is when I cut off about 6 inches of hair
Second pic is from march check in.
third and fourth pics was taken July 1, 2012
Great pics mami2010! You are still close to APL even with the new trim :yep: I feel the same way on getting my roller set to turn out how I plan with my new hair oil. It's been a week now and so far I need to figure out the right amount to use for better results!

Calling on @livinthevida!! We need you in here
LOL NikkiQ! Vida Ninja :ninja: checking in!

JazzyOleBabe you will reach APL! I myself had a thinning spot right on the top front of my scalp and had no idea how or why it appeared??? The ladies here thankfully offered their advice to do scalp massages to improve circulation. I also picked up Organic Coconut Oil (OCO) via Amazon, massaged gently all through my scalp including where my hair was thinning, and applied from ear to ends. In the first 30 days I was VERY HAPPY with the results yet kept up its use by sharing progress pictures with the ladies. I really believe using OCO consistently and knowing it is a natural safe product was the best choice I could have made. My hair and scalp is healthier, stronger, and feels great 5 months later! Here's my most recent link on 90 Day Results using OCO to improve my thinning hair!

In the very beginning when I joined LHCF I started to take Biotin tablets to help with my thinning hair. Within 3 days I was very sick and quickly stopped taking these. It was a good lesson of knowing what may work for others could not necessarily work as well for me :yep: Thanks to this experience it became easier for me to realize that if I truly want healthier hair I will need a healthy approach! There are some really great alternatives out there I am happy that I found just one that really works! BTW I still take no vitamins I simply exercise daily, eat better, and rest well after a full day's work ;)

livinthevida

Ladies it's now officially a week since starting on my new hair oil - Wild Growth Hair Oil (WGHO) - posting here new results of roller setting with WGHO on air dried hair and the results! To see how my setting is coming along I'll post mostly pictures here and in the BSL 2012 Challenge ;)

These first set of pictures are my air dried hair with WGHO applied ears to ends (see that shine!) and my hair set in satin foam rollers:

Attachments

• airdry_1.JPG
    airdry_1.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 14
  • airdry_2.JPG
    airdry_2.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 11
  • rollerset_1.JPG
    rollerset_1.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 11
  • rollerset_2.JPG
    rollerset_2.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 8
  • pinkrods_3.JPG
    pinkrods_3.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

livinthevida

Ladies these second set of pictures are results of roller setting with WGHO on air dried hair:

P.S. in one of the pictures I ended up channeling my inner Charlie Angel and started to whip my hair when taking the picture :lachen:

Attachments

• results_1.JPG
    results_1.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 12
  • results_2.JPG
    results_2.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 12
  • results_3.JPG
    results_3.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 10
  • results_whippingmyhair!.JPG
    results_whippingmyhair!.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 11
  • results_4.JPG
    results_4.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 14

Guinan

Re-Branding
I finally took pics of my scalp burns and I wa almost in tears. I hadn't realized how bad it was. I have no idea what could of caused this on just one side of my head.

I stopped using vaseline on the burns and started using JBCO and pure argon oil. That seems to be helping. Will that area grow back? I think I'm gonna post this on the relaxed thread too.

I am really upset about this:perplexed

Attachments

• scalp burn.JPG
    scalp burn.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 40
  • scalp burn 2.JPG
    scalp burn 2.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 41
  • top angle pony.JPG
    top angle pony.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 37
  • jet black pony.JPG
    jet black pony.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 35

livinthevida

I finally took pics of my scalp burns and I wa almost in tears. I hadn't realized how bad it was. I have no idea what could of caused this on just one side of my head.

I stopped using vaseline on the burns and started using JBCO and pure argon oil. That seems to be helping. Will that area grow back? I think I'm gonna post this on the relaxed thread too.

@pelohello you have beautiful hair! How long have you started to apply JBCO and pure argon oil? Please keep us posted!

RayRayFurious

Thanks, livinthevida! I liked Wild Growth oil when I was using it. But it was cheaper in the long run for me to just get a big thing of Grapeseed or Olive Oil. Plus, I also use the two for cooking :) Win! lol

RayRayFurious

So sorry about your hair. This was one of the many reasons why I gave up relaxers. Got burned real bad one time. I think you're doing the right thing. Have you tried aloe vera? I would be careful about it pulling it up too tight.

I hope the relaxed boards have some good advice, too.

Guinan

Re-Branding
livinthevida, thanks. I've been using the JBCO/Argon oil for 3 days now.

RayRayFurious, thanks. I am really considering going back to being natural. Its just that when I was natural (was natural for 6yrs), I felt overwhelmed with my hair and started regretting my hair. But now I feel more informed about my hair texture and what my hair likes. And I think natural hair is more accepted. I thinking a/b getting one last relaxer in Jan (I relax 1-2 a yr) and then doing a bc on my 30th b-day.

MeowMix

JazzyOleBabe. :lachen: Wait, you said your crown could direct ships and tugboats? I've had frustration with my hair too, but have not been able to describe it the funny way you did.

livinthevida Ruh-oh, she's an APL ninja and super hero too? Do that Charlie's Angel :brucelee:.

pelohello, Oh I feel your pain. That happened to me too in the crown and then the thing went and got infected. Hang in there. BTW, your hair looks really good. When I got chemical burns, mines fell out:(

kittenz

pelohello I wonder if JBCO would help you out? The bottle I have says something about healing and we all know it's great for thickening and regrowing edges. I just started using it this week because I noticed my edges are thinning because I'm either brushing too much and/or wearing a headband too often. I can look and see what brand I have when I get home if you want to know. BTW, your hair looks great :yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohello I wonder if JBCO would help you out? The bottle I have says something about healing and we all know it's great for thickening and regrowing edges. I just started using it this week because I noticed my edges are thinning because I'm either brushing too much and/or wearing a headband too often. I can look and see what brand I have when I get home if you want to know. BTW, your hair looks great :yep:

I just started using JBCO mixed w/ my Argon oil. So far I luv it. It's been controlling the itch. The brand that I have is Tropical Isle. I ordered it from Amazon. Where did you get yours from?

NikkiQ

Hair still feels soft after cowashing yesterday and putting on CJ smoothing lotion. Still smells like it too :giggle:

I *THINK* I might give Naptural85's fake french braid method a try. Just to see how my hair looks stretched this way versus my usual braid/twist outs.

NaturalfienD

Good news, guys! i think I've actually reached/passed APL without knowing it (blame/thank all that protective sytling LOL) Here are some pics:

Well guys....On to the next one :)

SkySurfer ~You go girl!! Congrats on making it to and past APL!!

I went to blow dry my hair this morning but when I opened my blowdryer box I was quickly reminded that I broke my comb attachments on my niece's hair a few weeks ago. Ohwell I guess im in celies til mon or tuesday:( I might try a pony but my edges......

lamaria211 ~ have you tried the tension method while blow drying? I found that when I use this method that it reduces the breakage I experience. My hair does not get as straight as it would with the comb attachment but after having a bad experience with the attachment- I broke up with it and never looked back.

I finally took pics of my scalp burns and I was almost in tears. I hadn't realized how bad it was. I have no idea what could of caused this on just one side of my head.

pelohello ~ I am sorry to hear about your burns- those joints are painful!! I am glad that you are taking good care of that area now ... when I had scalp burns my skin scabbed up and my hair fell out in that area :nono:. My hair grew back (I didn't care for the burn like you are) so I know your hair will grow back more beautiful than ever!!

Welcome MsMelodyV!! You will love it in here.

I hope all of you ladies are having a great day!!! :yep:

faithVA

I'm back from vacation and I just don't have the stamina to try to catch up with this thread. I know I would have to read 50 pages :nono: So I'm just going to pretend nothing happened while I was away.

Congratulations to all the APL graduates that graduated while I was away. :congrats:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
pelohello Have you tried aloe vera juice? Whenever I had bad burns, I would dump AVJ on my scalp and gently rub it in. The next day, there would be vast improvement. It really is remarkable with healing. :yep:

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Haven't posted in a while, but I subscribed to this thread and keep up with it thru email.

Probabaly won't post pictures any time soon. I took progress pics the other day-- it'd been three months since I took the last one. My hair has grown an inch. One whole, funky a** inch in three freakin months. I'm so annoyed and discouraged.

Evolving78

Haven't posted in a while, but I subscribed to this thread and keep up with it thru email.

Probabaly won't post pictures any time soon. I took progress pics the other day-- it'd been three months since I took the last one. My hair has grown an inch. One whole, funky a** inch in three freakin months. I'm so annoyed and discouraged.

don't be discouraged! your hair grows like weeds! i had to go through hell and back to get to where i am. :lol:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
pelohello said:

It will grow back. Try using some Neosporin to help the healing. I seldom, if ever burn and I have been self relaxing for years. When I relax and after I neutralize I do a final shampoo with PM Tea Tree shampoo. It has some natural healing properties and feels so good on my scalp and keeps my scalp from having that tight tingly feeling that I used to get right after a touch up. Good luck.