Apl 2016 Challenge

Wenbev

Wash day today; prepoo with basil-infused coconut oil and some avo oil. Shampooed with aveda's brillant poo, did a protien treat with aveda damage remedy, followed with SSI avo conditioner for moisture and currently tshirt drying. deciding weather to tension blow to wear somewhat straight or just flattwist in four.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@faithVA apologies for the delay.
I'll post a starting pic asap (Friday at the latest). I need to take down these November cornrows. Most of them are flat twists at this point.

faithVA

@faithVA apologies for the delay.
I'll post a starting pic asap (Friday at the latest). I need to take down these November cornrows. Most of them are flat twists at this point.
Not a problem. I know how easy it is to forget and think you may have already done it. So I just wanted to put out a little reminder. This thread isn't usually on the first page so its easy to get overlooked.

GGsKin

Washed my hair yesterday (still awake when I should be sleeping).
Anyway, I rinsed and then conditioned with a mix of AO White Camellia KC Knot Today and silk amino acids. After steaming in the shower, I rinsed and applied my clay mix (c.bentonite, rhassoul, milk, water and a dash of ACV).

After rinsing I applied some oils, and shingled with diluted KC Curling Custard. My roots are still wet. I'll be sleeping with a baggy tonight for comfortability.

ForestRose

My update is that I've been shedding more than I like recently.

I also plan on paying someone to put my hair in a PS. Possibly a weave so I can't take the extensions out and fiddle around with my hair. I touch my hair way too much but that's another story for another day.

I've heard people keeping in weave for 6 months and their hair being okay... If I can stretch to 4 months max I'd be very happy.

I will probably get it done within two weeks so I'll update when I do.This is a lot better than me experimenting with PSs and wasting time and money when it goes wrong.

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
I missed the starting pic date. Is it too late to join? I'm technically not fully shoulder length because I cut my hair in layers (accidentally just wacking hair off in chunks getting rid of split ends) but APL is my next hair goal length for this year. My hair is currently in a sew in but I have pics of the aftermath of my split ends purge :eyebrows2:

ForestRose

How does everyone plan to grow their hair and stay healthy from the inside.
I'm gonna try:

- lowering meat and fish content in my meals. If I can cut it out then that would also be great.

- exercising at least once a week min. Even if it's only 10 minutes.

- less stress as I was having quite bad anxiety last month and the month before. I have a feeling that stress has contributed to my shedding now.
At the moment it's improved but I really wanna keep it that way.

Does anyone see the benefits of hair supplements?

faithVA

I missed the starting pic date. Is it too late to join? I'm technically not fully shoulder length because I cut my hair in layers (accidentally just wacking hair off in chunks getting rid of split ends) but APL is my next hair goal length for this year. My hair is currently in a sew in but I have pics of the aftermath of my split ends purge :eyebrows2:
Come on in. It's never too late. Just complete the questions in the first post and post some type of picture. Glad to have you.

faithVA

How does everyone plan to grow their hair and stay healthy from the inside.
I'm gonna try:

- lowering meat and fish content in my meals. If I can cut it out then that would also be great.

- exercising at least once a week min. Even if it's only 10 minutes.

- less stress as I was having quite bad anxiety last month and the month before. I have a feeling that stress has contributed to my shedding now.
At the moment it's improved but I really wanna keep it that way.

Does anyone see the benefits of hair supplements?
I'm trying to work both inside and outside.
1. I'm dropping this weight
2. I'm getting in at least 8000 steps a day.
3. Going to ride my bike for 30 minutes at least once a week.
4. I need to get regular with my vitamins
5. Keep my gluten and sugar intake very low
6. Keep my blood pressure down

Going to continuing setting my hair in some fashion at least twice a week

Work on perfecting my moisture protein balance.

Keep my hair tucked away so I can minize splits, knots and trims.

Wenbev

My update is that I've been shedding more than I like recently.

I also plan on paying someone to put my hair in a PS. Possibly a weave so I can't take the extensions out and fiddle around with my hair. I touch my hair way too much but that's another story for another day.

I've heard people keeping in weave for 6 months and their hair being okay... If I can stretch to 4 months max I'd be very happy.

I will probably get it done within two weeks so I'll update when I do.This is a lot better than me experimenting with PSs and wasting time and money when it goes wrong.
I wouldn't PS long term bc of the excessive shedding, it may create matting issues. Maybe month to month instead? Have you tried tea rinses? Evaluated your diet for recent changes? Your health?

Ms. Faith, I wish I could, my twist outs always come out like a giant afro in photos. I cannot get good texture shots.

Last edited:

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
What length are you now?
-neck length

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
-natural

What's your regimen?
-shampoo bi-weekly
-deep condition weekly
-moisturize my braids under my sew in every day with applicator bottle

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL?
-CUT. OUT. HEAT. I keep flat ironing my leave out to match the silkiness of this weave every week. I will be buying a wig very soon. And if I ever wear a sew in again I will buy a closure to go along with it.
-continue taking my daily vitamins and iron supplements

What's your goal month if any?
-December

Post your starting pic:
before:

after: ((This is my hair shortly before I got my sew in installed in November.))

Here's 2 months worth of new growth:

I'll be taking this mess out of my hair very soon so hopefully I can give a more up to date starting pic to document my length.

UPDATE: took my sew in out 12/8/2016 so here is my real starting pics:

Last edited:

faithVA

I wouldn't PS long term bc of the excessive shedding, it may create matting issues. Maybe month to month instead? Have you tried tea rinses? Evaluated your diet for recent changes? Your health?

Ms. Faith, I wish I could, my twist outs always come out like a giant afro in photos. I cannot get good texture shots.
Yeah there must be some type of science to taking good hair pictures. I'm trying to be more patient but I'm not sure I'm getting any better.

ForestRose

Your right. I will evaluate more when the time comes. I think it has something to do with my health last month. I feel better now though.
I will look into tea rinses :) thanks

InBloom

In my new-growth
I'm slacking already. I need to take my vitamins daily, but it's happening more like every other day. I'm not drinking protein shakes as often as I should. I'm also not drinking enough water.

However, I am cutting out shampoo and using alternative cleansers. I am deep conditioning frequently and including oils in my routine.

Work in progress.

Oh and, I love my clay.

xu93texas

I just got back in town. Whew, the first seven days of this year have flown by. I haven't been keeping up with my usual routine. I'm back on it tomorrow.

I did reach a small milestone. I haven't worn a wig since 12/29. This is huge for me! It seems like I've been wearing wigs for 3 years straight. I'm learning how to like my natural hair!

Wenbev

Your right. I will evaluate more when the time comes. I think it has something to do with my health last month. I feel better now though.
I will look into tea rinses :) thanks
Happy you're feeling better! I went thru a major shed a year or so ago and after changing my diet, reducing my stress and adding tea rinses every time I washed my shedding went back to normal.

Wenbev

Enjoyed 2nd day hair - could have pushed for 3 day but cowashed today with an oil mixture and SM manuka and tshirt dried for 30 min. used my new BF products from SSI honey castor balm and honey buttercream moisturizer. My hair feels very soft and moisturized. Looking forward to not doing my hair until Sunday eve.