Apl 2016 Challenge

faithVA

I just got back in town. Whew, the first seven days of this year have flown by. I haven't been keeping up with my usual routine. I'm back on it tomorrow.

I did reach a small milestone. I haven't worn a wig since 12/29. This is huge for me! It seems like I've been wearing wigs for 3 years straight. I'm learning how to like my natural hair!
How have you been wearing your hair without the wigs?

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
GUYS I TOOK MY SEW IN OUT LAST NIGHT!! The wig I had bought to use as a protective style just shipped and won't be here for awhile. But seeing this nasty ass post gave me the boost I needed to take it down before my wig got here lol

I'll update my original post with the pics I took this morning. I feel like shaving the left side of of my head :angry2: that's all loose from heat damage smh.

Last edited:

faithVA

GUYS I TOOK MY SEW IN OUT LAST NIGHT!! The wig I had bought to use as a protective style just shipped and won't be here for awhile. But seeing this nasty ass post gave me the boost I needed to take it down before my wig got here lol

I'll update my original post with the pics I took this morning. I feel like shaving the left side of of my head :angry2: that's all loose from heat damage smh.
Unless you were going to wear wngs I wouldn't worry about it. If you wear twist outs or other styles no one will know.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Post the following to join in

What length are you now? Sl

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
Natural

What's your regimen?
Wash and steam 1x a week. Water Rinse or cowash 1x a week.

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Keep on protective styling

What's your goal month if any?
Dec 2016

Post your starting pic:

yaya24

I've been under the weather.
November cornrows turned flattwists are still in. Lol.

Rinsed them in the morning before work today.

Better pics at a later date when I feel up for taking them down.

faithVA

my twistout from this morning...
told you @faithVA it looks like a giant dry afro! Fortunately it was quite the opposite. Very soft and lots of sheen. Will definitely use the combo I used last night for my twists.
You are hilarious. You need to get out more. It neither looks dry nor like a fro. It looks like a twistout :lol:

You are just being too hard on your hair. Your twist out came out well. Like I said before with a little shaping it will be fine. But for the length you currently have the twist out turned out nicely.

Wenbev

You are hilarious. You need to get out more. It neither looks dry nor like a fro. It looks like a twistout :lol:

You are just being too hard on your hair. Your twist out came out well. Like I said before with a little shaping it will be fine. But for the length you currently have the twist out turned out nicely.
Thanks Faith :afro:

londonfog

Today will be my day to DC. I would like to try some wash n gos but that won't be happening anytime soon with the Illinois weather freezing your hair as soon as you open the front door! I'll keep rocking my twistout puff until it grows some more. I've been looking on YouTube for more styles for my length but it seems as though everyone's hair is a tad longer than mine & it doesn't come out at all looking even decent enough to walk out of the door with. I still love my hair though. So glad I made the switch!

faithVA

Right now I have on henna. In general feeling hair lazy and bored and tempted to crochet braid for a little while. But feeling too lazy to even do the install and that only takes me 3 hours! Lol

I felt hair lazy all last year. I think I did I think I put in extensions after June. And even then it was only flat twist extensions.

I do need to try these crochet braids. First I need to go upstairs and twist this wig to see if I can make it workable.

Aggie

@Aggie do you feel the inversion is making a difference on your growth? I may have to re-visit this inversion.
Well let's just say my growth last month encouraged me to try it another month. I was shoulder length last month when I started the inversions, and this month, I'm APL. Sooooo, I have to do it again to make sure.

I'm doing these for a minimum of 6 months and if my growth after that is beynd normal for me, then on to an additional 6 months. I think it's worth he effort. Just remain consistent to see results.

I didn't make the hairdrenalin potion for this first month of the year but looking forward to the second month.

faithVA

The winter dryness is setting in. A humidifier in my bedroom has helped my hair (sinuses too!). Just washed yesterday but think I go ahead and cowash tonight and do another moisture DC tonight. This crispy stuff is not cute.
I can feel it too. When I took my twist out last night I could feel the tightness in my scalp. I had just washed my hair 3 days before.

How are you wearing your hair now?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I can feel it too. When I took my twist out last night I could feel the tightness in my scalp. I had just washed my hair 3 days before.

How are you wearing your hair now?
Still tucking and rolling *yawn* :lol: the tuck has allowed my crown.to finally reach the nape when it was maybe 2.5 inches this time last year so i wont complain too much.

Challenging myself to come up with a new up-do. Anything I like at the moment just bristles my lazy self too much with all that rollersetting, pressing etc :lachen:

You really should try crochet braids when you're ready to put it away. Its so easy and fast once you get the hang.

Gonna head to Sally after work and snatch up an AIA hydration elation and check out their shears selection too.

Wenbev

Well let's just say my growth last month encouraged me to try it another month. I was shoulder length last month when I started the inversions, and this month, I'm APL. Sooooo, I have to do it again to make sure.

I'm doing these for a minimum of 6 months and if my growth after that is beynd normal for me, then on to an additional 6 months. I think it's worth he effort. Just remain consistent to see results.

I didn't make the hairdrenalin potion for this first month of the year but looking forward to the second month.

:look: say what now? SL to APL. uh how do you do this inversion?? do you massage as well???
And what is this hairdrenalin you speak of?? Please share!!

yaya24

Finallllllllly feeling better and can do something with my locked flat twists!

Dr. Said I have/had an upper respiratory infection. Thank God for drugs.. and a supportive SO that drove out to cook and take care of me, even though I'm contagious. . Lol.

I haven't been to work in days and now I'm ready for some TLC before I go back in tomorrow.

I just shampood my flat twists with diluted SM Jbco shampoo ( I always add some eucalyptus oil to this mix). Now Im under my steamer with KeraCare Humecto.

I realized I was almost out of distilled water to fill up my steamer's water tank..so I added some tap water + half a cap full of ACV. LOL

Once I finish steaming (set the timer for 45 minutes) I will spray some Aphogee green tea leave in and apply some oil to my scalp..then attempt to take these flat twists down..

Once down, I'm moisturizing and putting them back in.

I have a pedicure appointment at 3. Hopefully I can do all pf this by then.

My cornrow friend is out of the country until the end of the month. When she's back I'll get new cornrows.