Apl 2018

icsonia22

I wore crochet locs with my hair cornrowed underneath for 6 months. I'd remove, DC then redo every 6 to 8 weeks. I didn't use heat at all during that time. My growth was awesome, but the ends were a mess. So I got a trim in January, she cut an inch to an inch and a half. I got the crochet locs again. After 4 weeks, I took them down. I had grown almost an inch during that time. So Friday I went back to stylist for a treatment. I noticed the ends looked bad but I figured they were not too bad. Anyways, my stylist trimmed again.

What do y'all think about trimming every 6 to 8 weeks? I think that's excessive.

You have to find out what's messing up your ends. Is the take down rough? Do you moisturize and seal before you install the crochet location? How heavy is the sealant? Are you notixing any single strands knots on the ends?

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
You have to find out what's messing up your ends. Is the take down rough? Do you moisturize and seal before you install the crochet location? How heavy is the sealant? Are you notixing any single strands knots on the ends?
I wasn't moisturizing and sealing last year so I figured that was the problem in January when I had to cut about 1.5 inches. So before my last install, I moisturized with a shea butter blend and coconut oil moisturizer, then sealed my ends with castor oil. I only kept the crochet locs for 4 weeks this time. After I took it down I DC'd and I've been using scurl and sealing with castor oil, weekly. I don't usually get single strand knots. My ends didn't look as bad like in January. To me it really just looked like my growth was uneven.

Anyways, with this most recent trim, I'm going to pay more attention to my ends. I'll probably do what @faithVA suggested and do my s&d myself.

faithVA

I wasn't moisturizing and sealing last year so I figured that was the problem in January when I had to cut about 1.5 inches. So before my last install, I moisturized with a shea butter blend and coconut oil moisturizer, then sealed my ends with castor oil. I only kept the crochet locs for 4 weeks this time. After I took it down I DC'd and I've been using scurl and sealing with castor oil, weekly. I don't usually get single strand knots. My ends didn't look as bad like in January. To me it really just looked like my growth was uneven.

Anyways, with this most recent trim, I'm going to pay more attention to my ends. I'll probably do what @faithVA suggested and do my s&d myself.
Your ends may have just been uneven. Stylists like your hair even and shaped and will cut it for that reason. Trust yourself if you think they are good and tell her you will get it trimmed next time.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I'm joining late but I've been trying to get to APL for awhile now... my terminal length (or the length that I decide to get a pixie cut :look:) is just barely above APL. Might not make it this year but let's see how far I can get!

What length are you now? SL

What's your regimen? Super simple - bun every day. Shampoo/DC 1x a week, sometimes light wash on Wednesday. Cowashing in warmer weather.

What do you need to do/change to reach APL? PUT. THE. SCISSORS. DOWN.

Goal areas: Front (recovering from some really bad bangs)

What month would you like to reach your goal? December? One could only hope.
Post your starting pic.

Last month + yesterday's length check that I posted in another challenge. Hopefully I have time to wash/DC tonight. I didn't enjoy wearing my hair straight due to the awkward length. Gonna bun it up some more...

Attachments

• 22APR2018.png
    22APR2018.png
    373.7 KB · Views: 84

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Been practicing some benign neglect lately due to my schedule. I'm only washing once a week and then immediately putting into a protective style. I hope I get some decent retention from this. I plan to go back to daily cowashing once summer officially hits.

kupenda

I need my hair professionally blow dried for my DIY crochet install. But my poor feelings are holding me back. My Wack Patch, though it’s growing in, makes me self conscious. I really don’t want to have to go back and forth with a stylist about how I’m caring for it and why I should I come in every two weeks for treatment and blah blah blah. I just want to explain my situation, receive an understanding “you got this girl” and get my little blow dry so I can be on my way. Ugh. Maybe I’ll ask the manager who to recommend. I don’t need a savior, I can save myself

faithVA

I'm joining late but I've been trying to get to APL for awhile now... my terminal length (or the length that I decide to get a pixie cut :look:) is just barely above APL. Might not make it this year but let's see how far I can get!

What length are you now? SL

What's your regimen? Super simple - bun every day. Shampoo/DC 1x a week, sometimes light wash on Wednesday. Cowashing in warmer weather.

What do you need to do/change to reach APL? PUT. THE. SCISSORS. DOWN.

Goal areas: Front (recovering from some really bad bangs)

What month would you like to reach your goal? December? One could only hope.
Post your starting pic.

Last month + yesterday's length check that I posted in another challenge. Hopefully I have time to wash/DC tonight. I didn't enjoy wearing my hair straight due to the awkward length. Gonna bun it up some more...

Welcome to the challenge @sunflora.

faithVA

I'm just getting back from vacation. While on vacation I had my hair shampooed, conditioned, blow dried and flat ironed. It was nice not having to do it myself. I don't have a lot of noticieable growth for the 1st 4 months but there is some movement.

Here is my check-in for April.
20180427_152302.jpg 20180429_211446.jpg

Aggie

I'm just getting back from vacation. While on vacation I had my hair shampooed, conditioned, blow dried and flat ironed. It was nice not having to do it myself. I don't have a lot of noticieable growth for the 1st 4 months but there is some movement.

Here is my check-in for April.
View attachment 429459 View attachment 429461
Definitely some improvement. I pray that your hair continues to improve as the year closes to an end.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
This morning I noticed a bald spot at the top/crown of my head. Could y’all suggest any options I could take to stop and reverse this? This is frightening! I massaged the area with some peppermint oil this morning. Is that good?

See pic
40911CE6-7A0E-408F-8CB8-07AC627EC81C.jpeg

Last edited:

faithVA

View attachment 429499 This morning I noticed a bald spot at the top/crown of my head. Could y’all suggest any options I could take to stop and reverse this? This is frightening! I massaged the area with some peppermint oil this morning. Is that good?

See pic
Have you done anything differently recently? Have you used a dryer for styling or noticed the area feeling drier than usual?

I have that same issue but mine is caused by a dehydrated scalp. I have been misting it with a spray once or twice a day and massaging with an oil blend at night and that seems to be helping.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Have you done anything differently recently? Have you used a dryer for styling or noticed the area feeling drier than usual?

I have that same issue but mine is caused by a dehydrated scalp. I have been misting it with a spray once or twice a day and massaging with an oil blend at night and that seems to be helping.

I haven't done anything unusual but now that you mention it, that area tends to always be drier and feel brittle. I'll do what you're doing and see if that helps.

Thanks!

faithVA

Although I can't see much difference in my hair, with my hair straight I can now get my hair in a small bun. Even though my nape is struggling it has at least grown a bit for me to put it up.

My next goal is to be able to achieve a bun with stretched hair. That achievement will give me so many more styling options.

faithVA

Since my hair was straight I dusted my ends with my splitender. It made a big difference. I went through each section 6 times. I'm not sure how much was taken off.

I was going to shampoo tonight but I cut my finger cleaning the splitender :ohwell: At least now I know it's still sharp.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Since my hair was straight I dusted my ends with my splitender. It made a big difference. I went through each section 6 times. I'm not sure how much was taken off.

I was going to shampoo tonight but I cut my finger cleaning the splitender :ohwell: At least now I know it's still sharp.
Do you get good results from using the split ended? How often do you use it?

faithVA

Do you get good results from using the split ended? How often do you use it?
I hadn't used it in over a year. I was just using scissors. My hair is so uneven I wasn't sure how I was going to dust my ends without taking off a lot of length.

I got great results tonight. I'm glad I gave it another try. I was able to dust my ends and keep my length.

BlessedXs2

My hair seems to be doing much better. I’ve done the clay washes and dcing then moisturizing and sealing daily. On wash day I clay wash dc moisturize and seal and then twist my hair. I’ve noticed small twist dry faster than big twist. I still get ssn on the back section though. I’ve been putting flexi rods on the end but will try bigger rollers next time. I actually used my Shea bitter blend (I know shame on me but I couldn’t help it) and 1 day in my hair still feels great. I hope I’m able to continue this going forward.i love the shine it gives my hair. I do the LCO method but plan on trying the LOC method next wash day to see if there’s any difference. While this is kinda frustrating learning my hair all over again I know once I get it and see the growth this will be amazing. I love my lil curls

faithVA

I shampooed my hair tonight with the Kerastase Resistance Shampoo. My curls didn't revert. :eek:

I have the Mane Choice conditioner on my hair now. I'm too sleepy to rinse it out. I will rinse it out in the morning. Not sure if my curls are going to revert. I will give it 1 or 2 more washes. If that doesn't work, I will do a protein treatment and/or an olaplex treatment.

I don't really care much about getting my curl pattern back because I couldn't do anything with it anyway :look: I'm just concerned with the breakage that comes along with heat damage.

Even though my curls didn't revert, my hair is soooo soft :drool: I'm wondering if it is the treatment he gave me. If so I hope it lasts.

Miss617

Always left of center
I straightened my hair last week before I left for Chicago. My ends are still atrocious and I don't feel like it's grown. I need to stop being lazy and take better care of it.

faithVA

I straightened my hair last week before I left for Chicago. My ends are still atrocious and I don't feel like it's grown. I need to stop being lazy and take better care of it.
Did you compare pictures? Sometimes we look at our hair and it looks like it hasn't grown but when we compare pictures it's easier to see.

kupenda

Still here. Haven’t washed my hair in quite some time so I plan to get started on that tonight after work. I cleared my entire evening just for this. I’m gonna light a candle or some incense, smudge myself and my space, then engage in some long overdue self love. I’ll be doing a protein deep conditioner and moisturizing deep conditioner, giving myself a nice massage, and lovingly detangling my hair. Probably watch a little Netflix while I clean my space and do my nails. And maybe do an informal length check. If I’m not grazing armpit length yet, I know I will be for sure by end of July. My Wack Patch is steadily growing in, still quite dry and uncooperative. I’ve looked into a few protective styling options that won’t require me to manipulate it at all for weeks

Miss617

Always left of center
Did you compare pictures? Sometimes we look at our hair and it looks like it hasn't grown but when we compare pictures it's easier to see.

Yeah, I just compared it to my starting pic, I don't see much of a difference.