Apl 2018

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Since I straightened I added a length check. I would have thought my hair had not grown at all had I not taken this picture, but I'm still not happy with it. I have some issues with my former fringe in the front, and my hemline looks weird but I'm not sure if its just how it sat after I pushed it back over my shoulders.

24JUN2018.png

faithVA

Since I straightened I added a length check. I would have thought my hair had not grown at all had I not taken this picture, but I'm still not happy with it. I have some issues with my former fringe in the front, and my hemline looks weird but I'm not sure if its just how it sat after I pushed it back over my shoulders.

View attachment 432169

Yeah, just stay the course. You are going to be close I think. You never know what may happen. You may get an unexpected growth spurt. Great progress so far.

faithVA

I can't really see my growth but I can tell if I have some growth based on repeating flat twist styles. So just to get styling over with I did the part down the middle with 6 flat twist on both sides. I was able to pull the flat twist back and put them into 1 flat twist. I usually have to take the ones in the back and pull them more towards the front to twist them together. I will take what I can get for now.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I don't know what I did with that last blow out and press, but my ends are WRECKED. Saw much more hair in the tub after I clarified, more splits (I didn't have ANY before) and a metric ton of SSKs. I'm going to have to give myself an all-around trim, but I have never cut my hair while it isn't straight - I'll try to put it in twists and do it that way. Hopefully I don't screw that up too!

Lessons learned: I need to revisit the products I use to straighten my hair - the protein/keratin heavy products I previously loved are now drying to my hair, just as I discovered with coconut oil awhile ago. To play it safe, I'm not going to straighten again until December, and then I will have my ends trimmed professionally. Hopefully I don't end up back at NL. :spinning:

naturalagain2

I’m going to bow out. I cut the back of my hair again in a long tapered cut (when I got my color) and I’m really enjoying this style again. I really don’t have the desire to grow long again at this time. I’m just really enjoying my hair....doing different styles. My only growing plan right now is to continue growing the top part of my hair long and keep the sides and back semi-short (enough to do chunky twist on).

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
And. Just.Like That... I'm no longer in this challenge.

Just on a whim did BIG CHOP #4 (I think).
The last time I big chopped was October 2014 right before my 30th Bday.

Tried a product that contained aloe vera juice as the 2nd ingredient for the past 2 weeks, and after washing today, I had mattes and locs throughout my hair.
Set back- hello.

My hair grew to almost APL but today I decided its too hot and I was TIRED aka frustrated.

Cheers to new beginnings. My hair is now 1.5 inches all around …

Wishing you all an amazing rest of the year in this challenge!!!

TLC1020

No new updates right now.. Not sure if i'll make APL by December but I'm going to keep trying.. I'm about to put my hair in a bun tonight to get it off my shoulders... We shall see how much length I retain by the end of the year...

faithVA

I was supposed to have done my treatments at the end of June. Somehow I got off track. Tonight I shampooed. I used the Aphogee Amino Treatment for 20 minutes. I use the Aphogee 2 step Keratin treatment after that. I sat under the dryer and let it dry. It was much better than the 1st time I tried it. It was so sticky and messy the first time I was afraid to try it. I tried whipping it but it just separated in minutes so not sure what I did wrong.

I rinsed and used the 2nd step of the Aphogee Amino Treatment and left that in for 2 minutes. I now have on the Kerastase Moisturizing Mask. I'm not sure which one. I'm sitting under the dryer for 20 minutes. I thought about rinsing it out but I think I will just leave it in until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will shampoo this out and then color my hair.

I have an appointment on Friday to get crochet braids installed. I haven't had extensions put in my hair by a salon since I think 2009 or 2010. If this works out, I will get them installed regularly to give myself a break. I will keep you updated.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
My edges are not doing well due to my compulsive brushing. Bunning being my only style is becoming a double-edged sword. But until I get more length, I can't do much else. I'll see how my twists go next month, as long as my stylist leaves my edges alone, I can make PSing work to my advantage.

faithVA

A local stylist had a crochet braid sale so I ended up getting my 1st set of crochet braids on Friday. I haven't had extensions in my hair since 2013. Unfortunately because I made the appointment at the last minute I didn't have time to find the hair I wanted. I ended up with 14" inch box braids. Its way too much hair. Too hot and too heavy. I will pick up more hair this week for a shorter style and get my hair redone in 2 or 3 weeks. But I think I'm going to like having my hair tuck away.

TLC1020

Okay ladies I'm going back to square one, I don't don't know why but when I looked back at old photos albums of my hair it just clicked.. No more blow drying my hair with direct heat, now molding my hair down and using white strips and sit under hood dryer. Wash my hair once a week and bun my hair 80 percent of the time and moisturizing my ends..

APL I'm coming for you :drunk:

Last edited:

faithVA

Okay ladies I'm going back to square one, I don't don't know why but when I looked back at old photos albums of my hair it just clicked.. No more blow drying my hair with direct heat, now molding my hair down and using white strips and sit under hood dryer. Wash my hair once a week and bun my hair 80 percent of the time and moisturizing my ends..

Let us know in September how that's working for you.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
image.jpg

Just to check in. This is my go to style while it’s hot (through November in Houston). Re-wet & gel as needed. I use a headband that i cut instead of a ponytail holder. They always break or make my pony too tight. I always use bangs unless I’m going to the beach because I think I need hair around my face.

I’m kinda sad to see so many bow out of the challenge. Seems like only a handful of us still holding on…

topnotch1010

I don't know what I did with that last blow out and press, but my ends are WRECKED. Saw much more hair in the tub after I clarified, more splits (I didn't have ANY before) and a metric ton of SSKs. I'm going to have to give myself an all-around trim, but I have never cut my hair while it isn't straight - I'll try to put it in twists and do it that way. Hopefully I don't screw that up too!

Lessons learned: I need to revisit the products I use to straighten my hair - the protein/keratin heavy products I previously loved are now drying to my hair, just as I discovered with coconut oil awhile ago. To play it safe, I'm not going to straighten again until December, and then I will have my ends trimmed professionally. Hopefully I don't end up back at NL. :spinning:

@sunflora Have you ever tried this method, molding down and using the strips or rollersetting and drying under a dryer before straightening? It’s much less direct heat and it gives good results.

LovelyRo

View attachment 433175

Just to check in. This is my go to style while it’s hot (through November in Houston). Re-wet & gel as needed. I use a headband that i cut instead of a ponytail holder. They always break or make my pony too tight. I always use bangs unless I’m going to the beach because I think I need hair around my face.

I’m kinda sad to see so many bow out of the challenge. Seems like only a handful of us still holding on…

Love it... it’s so full! Is this a puff or a ponytail?

faithVA

View attachment 433175

That is so cute. You have such good hang time.

LovelyRo

I guess I should update. My hair is not doing so well. It’s much thinner than it was at the beginning of the year. I’ve been cutting as well and now I’m closer to SL than APL. I have some heat damage and as a result, my curls aren’t popping like they used to.

I’ve decided to revamp my regimen. I’m incorporating Ayurvedic and TGIN products for the next few months... and probably no heat styling for a while. I feel like my hair needs to be straight in order for me to assess its health... but, there’s no point if it damages my hair.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
View attachment 433175

Your hair is pretty!

I had a trim on July 7th, so my ends look good. I’m kinda getting antsy with my hair again. I think I want to install sister locs so I scheduled a consultation to see if I really want to do it. For the most part my hair feels good.

This pic was taken last Saturday (July 14).

Attachments

• 09FFEFBD-C89B-49B0-BB3F-4273E5AD9992.jpeg
    09FFEFBD-C89B-49B0-BB3F-4273E5AD9992.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 43

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Me and my mini braids are still around this challenge though I'm not sure I'll make APL by the end of December. It doesn't look like it now, but summer frizz and shrinkage could be tricking me. I may be able to get a better gauge in Sept/Oct when I start prepping for wig wear.

My regimen has been the same though. Co wash daily with a shampoo and DC at least once a week. I've been trying for 2x a week but my current schedule isn't permitting. I had planned to L-O-C but I ran out of oil and have been too lazy to get more. Surprisingly though, my hair is not any drier without it.

I've been having fun trying various new curl enhancing products. Best thing though has been good ole fashioned Ampro gel. Which I ran out of this morning. I have some samples of some Redken products I want to keep trying before I decide to repurchase.

topnotch1010

Love it... it’s so full! Is this a puff or a ponytail?

Thank you!! I’m sorry, I’m using the wrong lingo. It’s a puff.

That is so cute. You have such good hang time.

Thank you ma’am!

Your hair is pretty!

I had a trim on July 7th, so my ends look good. I’m kinda getting antsy with my hair again. I think I want to install sister locs so I scheduled a consultation to see if I really want to do it. For the most part my hair feels good.

This pic was taken last Saturday (July 14).

Thank you!! It’s looking good!!

I'm sorry, but what is molding down and using strips? I haven't tried the rollersetting first, I usually use gel when I rollerset. That would be a good thing to try next time.

It’s when you shape your hair around your head. Remember those old wrap styles from the 90’s? That’s molding your hair down.

My dd likes her hair straight and we use tension rollers for a rollerset then flat iron after drying under the Pibbs. She’s had no damage from doing so over the last year even though I strongly encourage her to wear her natural curls.

kupenda

Hi ladies! Still here. My Wack Patch is still wiggity wack. And I’m still aiming for APL by the end of December. Sorry to see so many ladies have to back out :/

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I'm still hanging in there as well. Haven't straightened in awhile so I have no idea where I'm at, an ignorance is bliss. I'm due for a trim either September or December. I've been keeping a pretty simple routine lately, sort of fell off of ayurvedic treatments and such but my hair doesn't require all that and I don't have the time. I am finally getting more comfortable with my hair texture, but length/shrinkage keep me self-conscious on wearing it out.

I'm definitely staying in this challenge. I would love to prove to myself that I can beat my terminal length - I hope I can.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
This is the longest/healthiest my natural hair ever grew (I think this was 2014 but I'm unsure). I still had a shorter area on the right side where I somehow keep cutting side bangs that then never ever grow back (!??!??!?!?!) but it was still very full, I simply pinned it up or wore a diff part. Most would say I had very nice hair, but I lurked on this forum and knew I did not. It started growing when I implemented protein, straightened only once a month, and did the occasional PS - box braids definitely were a game changer.

13557192_508449582681356_613842522_n.jpg

So what happened? I had a bad break up and got a pixie cut. Speaks for itself. Then I somehow forgot how to keep my hair on my head, got highlights, kept frying it etc. I just want to get my hair to APL, which is only a couple inches past where it was here at CBL. I think I'd be super duper happy. Heck, I might even just stop my HHJ there and retain length. :lol:

sissimpson

Dying was a huge mistake. Broken hairs everywhere. I don't know whether to straighten and trim, or just baby it?
I would just try babying it for a couple of weeks, then decide. When you are feeling emotional about a setback, it's common to grab a pair of sheers and have at it. But cutting is permanent! And straightening is likely to cause more damage! Whatever you decide to do, take your time in making the decision!

FadingDelilah

This is the longest/healthiest my natural hair ever grew (I think this was 2014 but I'm unsure). I still had a shorter area on the right side where I somehow keep cutting side bangs that then never ever grow back (!??!??!?!?!) but it was still very full, I simply pinned it up or wore a diff part. Most would say I had very nice hair, but I lurked on this forum and knew I did not. It started growing when I implemented protein, straightened only once a month, and did the occasional PS - box braids definitely were a game changer.

View attachment 433251

So what happened? I had a bad break up and got a pixie cut. Speaks for itself. Then I somehow forgot how to keep my hair on my head, got highlights, kept frying it etc. I just want to get my hair to APL, which is only a couple inches past where it was here at CBL. I think I'd be super duper happy. Heck, I might even just stop my HHJ there and retain length. :lol:

You are so beautiful :eek: I love your features!! You look so young, and have a nice body. If your hair was apl, you would be a head turner even more than you are now. Your hair is thick too. :yep:

FadingDelilah

Slowly but surely gaining on the goal. I will probably be full apl in 2019 since I get 4 inches a year, but still cheering for you ladies. I'll honestly feel like my hair is floor length when I get there, lol. Takes so long.

faithVA

Dying was a huge mistake. Broken hairs everywhere. I don't know whether to straighten and trim, or just baby it?
Go to Sally's and get the apogee amino treatment and the keratin 2 step. Do the amino treatment, followed by the 2 step and then dc for a few hours. Color can damage the cuticle so you may need some repair.