Apl 2018

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Dying was a huge mistake. Broken hairs everywhere. I don't know whether to straighten and trim, or just baby it?

What kind of hair dye did you use? When did you dye? What did you do before? I think you should baby it, but we need to know what happened so we don't suggest something that could cause more issues.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
What kind of hair dye did you use? When did you dye? What did you do before? I think you should baby it, but we need to know what happened so we don't suggest something that could cause more issues.

I used Bigen in Oriental Black, I dyed Friday if I'm not mistaken. I did a sulfate shampoo first - probably my first mistake - and then applied the dye. Afterwards, I rinsed with a conditioner and DC'd. The instructions said to shampoo after, but I didn't shampoo until yesterday.

quirkydimples

I’m so tired of my hair right now. I’ve been wearing it in a bun, but I think I’m about to have some braids installed. The only problem is I usually don’t keep them in long enough for it to be “worth it.”

faithVA

I’m so tired of my hair right now. I’ve been wearing it in a bun, but I think I’m about to have some braids installed. The only problem is I usually don’t keep them in long enough for it to be “worth it.”
I feel you. I had crochet braids put in and only lasted for 10 days. I am going to try it again when the whether cools off. I will pick a different style and hopefully that will help.

faithVA

How about a roll call. Put up a post if you are still in the challenge.

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping this thread very active. I have not been enjoying the forum as much as I used to so having a hard time sticking with it but I will be here until the end of the year.

faithVA

As I said in a previous post, I had crochet braids put in a little while ago. I only had the in for 10 days. I had box braids which were about BSL. That was way too much hair for me. So I cut them back to a little above APL. They were heavy and hot. And I realized that my hairline was so raggedy that I couldn't pull them back so I had to wear them down. They got in my way when I tried to eat. And trying to put them up at night was a pain. I also could barely get them under my cycling helmet. So I was pretty miserable for 10 days. I said I was going to keep them in for at least 2 weeks but last night I couldn't take it any more :lol:

I am going to try it again with a different style. The lady that does the install is close to me, has great appointment times and does fast work so I am motivated to try it again so I can put my hair away. I just need to find a style that works better for me. I think I want something short that is out of the way.

I was so happy to get them out. I was able to get to my scalp. Since it was only 10 days my hair seemed to be OK but maybe a little on the dry side. I moisturized it and got rid of the shed hair. I had a ton of it. I put it in 4 flat twist and put on my bonnet. This morning I retwisted and did my flat twist to the side.

I can definitely tell my hair is growing a bit but can't tell by how much. When I do the pull test I am not any closer than I was in January. However, I can get my hair up into a position for a bun which is progress from April. I won't be ready for a bun until the end of the year though because I don't have enough hair to tuck under yet.

For the August length check I plan to just do a rollerset and blow dry the roots. I will save the flat iron for December's length check.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I used Bigen in Oriental Black, I dyed Friday if I'm not mistaken. I did a sulfate shampoo first - probably my first mistake - and then applied the dye. Afterwards, I rinsed with a conditioner and DC'd. The instructions said to shampoo after, but I didn't shampoo until yesterday.

I'm not personally familiar with Bigen but I've heard it is notorious for drying and breaking hair. Also, black dye seems to dry the hair out as well (I use a demi permanent black dye and have dryness issues).

If possible, find a moisturizing shampoo without sulfates. It's been a while since I've used them, but the Shea Moisture ones were good. And deep condition with as much moisture as possible. I like the Ion conditioner mixed with a bit of honey. It may take a week or 2 for your hair to go back to 'normal' but this works for me when I color.

guyaneseyankee

Rollcall checkin
These were taken 7/13/18. I don’t have the energy to straighten to check my length; but I think I’m on track or close to it for Dec 2018

Attachments

• D706ACAF-24C4-46C4-8014-C293D3B41295.jpeg
    D706ACAF-24C4-46C4-8014-C293D3B41295.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 47
  • EE5C5D48-671F-4BF3-88F6-9843C20A33E5.jpeg
    EE5C5D48-671F-4BF3-88F6-9843C20A33E5.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 44
  • C8205A5B-10CB-4E00-A4EE-84B8993EC855.jpeg
    C8205A5B-10CB-4E00-A4EE-84B8993EC855.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 45

TLC1020

I'm still in the challenge and looking forward to seeing how much progress I make.. :drunk:

How about a roll call. Put up a post if you are still in the challenge.

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping this thread very active. I have not been enjoying the forum as much as I used to so having a hard time sticking with it but I will be here until the end of the year.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I shampooed with Shea Moisture and did a super moisturizing DC yesterday. It seems to slowly be feeling a bit better. I did some research and two things I know I did wrong already were process the dye under a plastic cap, and dye on henna'd hair. I probably should not have shampoo'd first either. I think my hair will be alright, but I'm going to keep babying in it and not use any heat until maybe September. I might push until December though.

I've been on autopilot. I literally can only do one thing with my hair which is cowash and then stick in a bun, but I'm alright with that. There's no way I won't retain length as long as I slow down on all of the brushing (I'm getting better) and trim at decent intervals... oh yea and don't dye my hair again :rolleyes: I really don't want to trim in September because I don't want to straighten my hair that soon (I just reached the one month mark and want to make six this time!) so I'll have to try cutting in twists again. I don't think I do a good job when I do that but I'll watch some YouTube vids and see what happens.

TLC1020

Checking in..
I just shampooed my hair and now sitting under the hair dryer deep conditioning and hot oil treatment, haven't did this in a while. I'm going to start back doing a deep condition and hot oil treatment biweekly.. As I remember my hair loves moisture and not so much protein treatments..

kupenda

Whoohoo!! Hoping for the best! Can't wait to see pics :D :D :D

Thank you! Same! I hope I don’t have to trim a lot. I’m planning to get a silk press either around Thanksgiving or before my trip to Vegas over the Christmas break. By then much more of my hair will be APL and my Wack Patch will have filled in a bit more too. As excited as I am for straight hair, I already can’t wait to put it in a ponytail and get it out mah gosh darn face. I need long hair or no hair. Hair in my face is a no go

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Meh... I was diagnosed with anemia. Well, I've been anemic my entire life. I just blatantly refused to take iron supplements because they hurt my tummy so badly. Well, my new doctor shook her finger in my face and provided an alternative solution - iron infusions. It doesn't sound fun at all. I don't feel tired from being anemic, my body is used to it, I think. Plus I eat so healthy, I think I'm anemic from heavy periods - I'd rather get that sorted out, as I figure iron infusions will have to be a constant thing if my periods remain so heavy.

ANYWAY, this is all hair related because anemia can cause slow hair growth. I don't think my hair grows THAT slow. Ah well. It'll be interesting to note if I see a difference in my hair from the infusions. Or if it just all falls out because I'm accustomed to being a vampire. I'll check in when/if I go through with it.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Meh... I was diagnosed with anemia. Well, I've been anemic my entire life. I just blatantly refused to take iron supplements because they hurt my tummy so badly. Well, my new doctor shook her finger in my face and provided an alternative solution - iron infusions. It doesn't sound fun at all. I don't feel tired from being anemic, my body is used to it, I think. Plus I eat so healthy, I think I'm anemic from heavy periods - I'd rather get that sorted out, as I figure iron infusions will have to be a constant thing if my periods remain so heavy.

ANYWAY, this is all hair related because anemia can cause slow hair growth. I don't think my hair grows THAT slow. Ah well. It'll be interesting to note if I see a difference in my hair from the infusions. Or if it just all falls out because I'm accustomed to being a vampire. I'll check in when/if I go through with it.

Did your doctor due iron studies or just a CBC? The CBC only tells that you're anemic right now but the iron studies provide a possible why. Also, you say you eat healthy, but are you getting enough iron and vitamin C? How much calcium to do you take in?

Iron infusions don't necessarily hurt but I'd much rather take the pills than do those.

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
What length are you now?
SL (collarbone length)

What's your regimen?
Shampoo/condition twice per week; deep condition once a week to once every two weeks
Go-to styles are buns and flat crown twists/braids

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Be more consistent with deep conditioning and moisturizing
Be more patient/gentle while detangling
Dust regularly (small trims a little more often works better for me than deep trims every few months)

Goal areas: Full APL everywhere; especially the crown which is very porous and prone to breakage

What month would you like to reach your goal?
October at the earliest, December at the latest

Post your starting pic.
I'll get back to you on that one (error message: problem uploading picture)

guyaneseyankee

Hi ladies
I just received a growth progress shirt yesterday and had my back stretched just to see
At what number would you consider APL?

Attachments

• DD27ADD0-EC92-47DD-9A09-A9E3B699BE37.jpeg
    DD27ADD0-EC92-47DD-9A09-A9E3B699BE37.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 87A694DD-A508-4765-A1BF-D1C026646CB7.jpeg
    87A694DD-A508-4765-A1BF-D1C026646CB7.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 60A76845-A7DB-4090-8E2D-0D7D5881B4E9.jpeg
    60A76845-A7DB-4090-8E2D-0D7D5881B4E9.jpeg
    798.3 KB · Views: 32

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside

Ask your doctor about the three classes of iron supplements. You may need to change to a brand in a different class (note: several brand names could be in the same class).
Additionally, ask about liquid iron supplements. Many brands can be added to water or juice. They're also said to have greater and faster absorption.

faithVA

What length are you now?
SL (collarbone length)

What's your regimen?
Shampoo/condition twice per week; deep condition once a week to once every two weeks
Go-to styles are buns and flat crown twists/braids

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Be more consistent with deep conditioning and moisturizing
Be more patient/gentle while detangling
Dust regularly (small trims a little more often works better for me than deep trims every few months)

Goal areas: Full APL everywhere; especially the crown which is very porous and prone to breakage

What month would you like to reach your goal?
October at the earliest, December at the latest

Post your starting pic.
I'll get back to you on that one (error message: problem uploading picture)
Welcome to the challenge.

Crop your picture as small as you can eliminate as much of 5he unnecessary parts of the photo. The import from your phone is very size sensitive.