Apl 2018

SAPNK

I just saw that. I must have been rushing. I just said I have the same problem. I can Cornrow my sides but i can cornrows front to back. I need to practice.

I would recommend a styling head. Years ago, I bought the cheapest one I could find, and she changed my life forever. Unfortunately, she's been missing for over 2 years. I'm still holding out hope that I'll find her but until then, R.I.P Angela. :cry3:

faithVA

I would recommend a styling head. Years ago, I bought the cheapest one I could find, and she changed my life forever. Unfortunately, she's been missing for over 2 years. I'm still holding out hope that I'll find her but until then, R.I.P Angela. :cry3:

How does a styling head help to go from front to back. I can see how it helps to learn to cornrow in general but when using a head my hands will still never be in the same position as when I'm doing my hair.

SAPNK

How does a styling head help to go from front to back. I can see how it helps to learn to cornrow in general but when using a head my hands will still never be in the same position as when I'm doing my hair.

I think it gets your hands used to the technique to where your able to do it in any direction. I used to be able to only braid towards my ears, but after practicing on it, I was able to braid back perfectly. Plus, when you use a styling head, you are going front to back. Your hands are just lower, as opposed to above your head. I guess it doesn't make any sense, lol.

faithVA

I think it gets your hands used to the technique to where your able to do it in any direction. I used to be able to only braid towards my ears, but after practicing on it, I was able to braid back perfectly. Plus, when you use a styling head, you are going front to back. Your hands are just lower, as opposed to above your head. I guess it doesn't make any sense, lol.

OK. I don't know if it makes sense or not. I was just asking. Things don't have to make sense to work :lol: :yep:

Miss617

Always left of center
Braided my hair about halfway, then left the back out in a puff. My hair is dryyyyyy. Gonna baggy tonight and pick it out in the morning if I end up going to work, or maybe I'll put it in a bun. I'll be back with pictures later.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Ended up going to the salon on Friday last week. I'm back at NECK/COLLAR BONE length (Like January 2015) after a major cut.
Looking forward to APL 2018 and spending more time on this side of the forum.

The stylist was very sweet, but she was extremely rough with detangling and blowdrying my hair.
I will not visit again.

After she blowdried, I saw too many see through ends to just act like a light trim will do.

Pic from this morning:

jan 2018 hair.jpg

faithVA

Ended up going to the salon on Friday last week. I'm back at NECK/COLLAR BONE length after a major cut.

The stylist was very sweet, but she was extremely rough with detangling and blowdrying my hair.
I will not visit again.

After she blowdried, I saw too many see through ends to just act like a light trim will do.

View attachment 421923
Hopefully it will grow back in no time and you will have even healthier hair in 2018

faithVA

My scalp needed some shampoo so I shampooed and conditioned with the Mane Choice Easy on the Curls. Just did the usual products and back in flat twist to the side.

I know my December length check pictures show some progress but I swear my hair the same as it was when I was ear length. It is still a struggle to put in flat twist on wet hair :nono: I hope APL brings some relief.

yaya24

My scalp needed some shampoo so I shampooed and conditioned with the Mane Choice Easy on the Curls. Just did the usual products and back in flat twist to the side.

I know my December length check pictures show some progress but I swear my hair the same as it was when I was ear length. It is still a struggle to put in flat twist on wet hair :nono: I hope APL brings some relief.

It will. I feel like longer hair has always been easier to style in flat twists for me.

faithVA

It will. I feel like longer hair has always been easier to style in flat twists for me.
My shrinkage is so intense I'm just hoping that I don' need to be bsl before I can really notice a difference. Of course I will deal with it if I have to but it would be nice 5o no5 have to.

writtenthought

This is where I am :( The stylist was too rough and I feel like my hair just isn't the same,I think it's the ends, Idk? Do you think I have to cut it, or can I just grow it out and get trims?

Ended up going to the salon on Friday last week. I'm back at NECK/COLLAR BONE length (Like January 2015) after a major cut.

I will not visit again.

Pic from this morning:

View attachment 421925

yaya24

Sorry you went through a similar experience. You have both options you listed. Just go with the one you are most comfortable with.

I did a major cut back to NL because I wear wigs most of the time anyway.
This is where I am :( The stylist was too rough and I feel like my hair just isn't the same,I think it's the ends, Idk? Do you think I have to cut it, or can I just grow it out and get trims?

icsonia22

What length are you now? Shoulder length

What's your regimen? Flat iron every 1-2 months until the weather warms up and humidity won't let me be great
Use aphogee 2 step protein treatment every 6-8 months
Use olaplex and Pantene moisturizing shampoo
Deep condition with tgin honey mask

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Tuck my ends away, use minimal manipulation, finger comb
Goal areas: back, front, and both sides

What month would you like to reach your goal? November

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_201159-979x1305.jpg
    IMG_20180122_201159-979x1305.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180122_201028-979x1305.jpg
    IMG_20180122_201028-979x1305.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 48

writtenthought

I'm going to just trim a little at a time, give myself a protein treatment and see if that helps.

Sorry you went through a similar experience. You have both options you listed. Just go with the one you are most comfortable with.

I did a major cut back to NL because I wear wigs most of the time anyway.

faithVA

My shrinkage is terrible. I took my hair down to moisturize it. I was putting in two flat twist and felt like I was struggling as much as I did when I was ear length. And my hair is has been stretched in this twist. I'm not sure what it would be like if I tried it on wet hair. :perplexed:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
My shrinkage is terrible. I took my hair down to moisturize it. I was putting in two flat twist and felt like I was struggling as much as I did when I was ear length. And my hair is has been stretched in this twist. I'm not sure what it would be like if I tried it on wet hair. :perplexed:
I know exactly how you feel @faithVA I’ve got long back syndrome. It will have to be down to my knees before it will look like it’s getting longer to me.

faithVA

I know exactly how you feel @faithVA I’ve got long back syndrome. It will have to be down to my knees before it will look like it’s getting longer to me.
Do you know the distance from nape to waist?

Your back may be long but your hair at least hangs so you will at least see your progress over time.

I think I have 13 inches from SL to WL.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Hi ladies!

I've started a new method for dealing with my hair. I'm wiggin it for pretty much all of 2018. I might get some box braids though.

But basically I wear my hair cornrowed under wigs. Usually I take my hair down once a month, shampoo, deep condition (sometimes), blowdry and rebraid. Its pretty much an all day process. But recently I've started shampooing while in braids. After my hair dries I take my hair down one braid at a time, finger detangle, moisturize and rebraid it. This is saving me sooo much time! There is no dreaded wash, condish or cornrow day. I'm going to keep using this method until our length check in April to see if it works for me or not.

Also, I tried Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine for the first time. I love it and the smell is wonderful!
Tried Eden Bodyworks Cleansing CoWash and so far its the best cowash I've tried!
Tried Camille Rose Naturals Growth & Shine balm and it was a NO. Hard to melt into hair. Leaves clumps of beeswax in hair. The smell isn't good and the price is outrageous for such a tiny jar.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Do you know the distance from nape to waist?

Your back may be long but your hair at least hangs so you will at least see your progress over time.

I think I have 13 inches from SL to WL.
I’ve never measured but I’m actually short waisted so my illusion of my hair getting longer but just not looking longer might really be an illusion :cry3:

faithVA

I did a mudwash and deep condition Thursday night. I was so tired I didn't rinse out the conditioner. It's rare for me to leave conditioner in my hair. I didn't rinse it out until Friday night after work. I decided to not shampoo first and see if the Surya Brasil would work OK after deep conditioning. It's too early to tell yet.

After rinsing out the color, I spritzed my hair with diluted leave-in. I installed some curlformers and now sitting under the dryer for another 15 minutes.

I'm ready to go to sleep but I have to get these curlformers out and put my hair up some kind of way.

I don't know why I never start earlier :nono:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thank goodness I have all of 2018 to try to get to APL. I just realized I only grow 1/4" a month, so my goal of reaching APL by August has vanished. I found this out by cutting off my progress after a month of growth. I went to Great Clips and had the stylist cut off 1/4" all the way around. When I did a pull test, I realized I was back where I started.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Thank goodness I have all of 2018 to try to get to APL. I just realized I only grow 1/4" a month, so my goal of reaching APL by August has vanished. I found this out by cutting off my progress after a month of growth. I went to Great Clips and had the stylist cut off 1/4" all the way around. When I did a pull test, I realized I was back where I started.
I think I’m a slow grower but I believe there are times when my hair grows faster than others. It seems to be spring and summer, mostly summer for me. I don’t have as clear a gauge as I did when I was relaxed but I know my hair is growing. Your hair might surprise you.

gvin89

Welp....just getting back online after losing my sister...hardest thing to deal with. I had to go to a local salon before her services for a quick flat twist updo as I didn't trust anyone straightening my hair. I think I still had a setback as I saw lots of hair on the floor.

I plan to take this style out by the end of the week and love on my hair. Just ordered the hot head cap to help with deep conditioning.