Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
What length are you now?
Shoulder length— crown

What's your regimen?
Using braids (with my own hair) as my form of protective styling
Utilizing the baggy method daily between wash days
Heavy use of Shea Butter

What do you need to do/change to reach APL? Continue doing what works (see above) along with detangling and moisturizing more often. I also plan on incorporating more protein into my regimen in the form of light protein leave ins under a moisturizer, as well as a light reconstructor on wash days that I am not using Ayurvedic powders.

Goal areas: Crown

What month would you like to reach your goal?
December 2018 (the latest)

Post your starting pic.
***If you have a section/sections alreadyAPL, post a pic of the areas NOT APL***
Crown:
Hi everyone, I haven’t really posted in here much. But I would like to inform you all that I have surpassed apl in crown section.

They really are not the best pictures. But anyways... i started out at about 13 inches in the crown and I am now at 16 inches in that area. The area is a bit thinner because of a set back, and consequently the reason I retained so little.

Edited: So I thought I was successful in posting the pictures, but it seems I am only able to see them on my computer, but nothing is appearing when I am looking from my phone, so I am guesssing none of you are seeing them either. I’ll keep trying.

Last edited:

faithVA

Hi everyone, I haven’t really posted in here much. But I would like to inform you all that I have surpassed apl in crown section.

They really are not the best pictures. But anyways... i started out at about 13 inches in the crown and I am now at 16 inches in that area. The area is a bit thinner because of a set back, and consequently the reason I retained so little.

:yay: Looking forward to the pictures.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Did a very light trim. My hair is a few inches past my collar bone now, the lead hairs are about 2 inches from APL. Those are my bottom layers behind the ear. The shortest layer is just catching up to SL, and my bangs have passed my chin.

faithVA

I did straighten my hair, but it is nothing to write home about :sad Maybe I retained 2 inches somewhere but I can't even really tell. I will definitely be in the APL challenge all of 2019. I will post pictures in a few.

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA, hey sis sorry you're disappointed in your growth. Did you look at comparison pics from April? I thought I hadn't grown much this year and it wasn't till I looked at comparison pics from last year that I could see the difference.
I did and I even compared it to last year. Nope. Sigh!

Yeah my feelings are hurt. But I will get over it

faithVA

Do you think you're just not retaining? You definitely have gained thickness sense your starting pic.
Hmm, I don't see thickness . Lol

I'm not growing much. I'm figuring I get about 4 inches. Then I'm not retaining it. I've always had major breakage and still do. My name is always horrible and nothing seems to work for that. I also trimmed or dusted twice this year. :ohwell: I will get over it. It took some of my excitement for 2019 away though.

Aggie

I gave my hair a lotta love this morning and still ended up putting on a wig before I went out this afternoon :nono:.

Anyhoo, I'm about to heavy moisturize and seal my hair and massage some Castor Argan Drops on my scalp before bed. It is still very soft from my leave-in but that won't last long. Heavy sealing lasts a few days to a week.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Last LC of the year, just because a month did pass. I did actually make a difference. I only did that little section on 300. My next LC will be in April. Hope I can stay busy and keep my mind off of it!!

20181127_214849-1.jpg 20181225_225504-1.jpg

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie

I'm not growing much. I'm figuring I get about 4 inches. Then I'm not retaining it. I've always had major breakage and still do. My name is always horrible and nothing seems to work for that. I also trimmed or dusted twice this year. :ohwell: I will get over it. It took some of my excitement for 2019 away though.

I do. Especially in the back.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

I want to show you this:

7DAA1E98-D8A3-414B-901C-13E95FD8FA7B.jpeg

My dd is barely four but WL. The only thing I did was moisturize with coconut oil and water and rebraid every 3-4 days. Did absolutely nothing special and her hair doesn’t grow and some miraculous pace. I never cut it. Stop cutting your hair and find a simple style to wear your hair in. I saw what it did for her hair and did the same with mine. I wore Dutch braids the majority of the year with good results. That’s it. That’s the key. I want you to win in 2019!

faithVA

I want to show you this:

View attachment 440223

My dd is barely four but WL. The only thing I did was moisturize with coconut oil and water and rebraid every 3-4 days. Did absolutely nothing special and her hair doesn’t grow and some miraculous pace. I never cut it. Stop cutting your hair and find a simple style to wear your hair in. I saw what it did for her hair and did the same with mine. I wore Dutch braids the majority of the year with good results. That’s it. That’s the key. I want you to win in 2019!
Thank you @topnotch1010. Thank you for the encouragement. I do keep my styling simple. I'm either in flat twist or two strands. Unfortunately I can't not dust my hair. My hair splits so badly that when I don't dust my hair tangles so badly that it takes a lot of hair with it. I've extended my dustin's to every 4 months which is as long as I can stretch it out.

My regimen isn't really that complicated. My hair just tends to be on the dryer side and getting to stay moisturized is a challenge. I also think menopause isn't helping my cause.

But I will stick with it.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Thank you @topnotch1010. Thank you for the encouragement. I do keep my styling simple. I'm either in flat twist or two strands. Unfortunately I can't not dust my hair. My hair splits so badly that when I don't dust my hair tangles so badly that it takes a lot of hair with it. I've extended my dustin's to every 4 months which is as long as I can stretch it out.

My regimen isn't really that complicated. My hair just tends to be on the dryer side and getting to stay moisturized is a challenge. I also think menopause isn't helping my cause.

But I will stick with it.

Are you sure that it’s not just regular shedding when you comb your hair instead of breakage from splits? Super sure? We get a few tangles and hair balls but it’s not enough to compromise the growth by cutting. I’m about 90% sure that your retention is being hindered by cutting. It’s very easy to lose a year of progress by trimming 2-3 times a year.

In the end, I know it’s up to you. I just wanna see you win, sis.

faithVA

Are you sure that it’s not just regular shedding when you comb your hair instead of breakage from splits? Super sure? We get a few tangles and hair balls but it’s not enough to compromise the growth by cutting. I’m about 90% sure that your retention is being hindered by cutting. It’s very easy to lose a year of progress by trimming 2-3 times a year.

In the end, I know it’s up to you. I just wanna see you win, sis.
I am 100% sure it is splits. I can feel it but also when I clip it I can see where it has split. And sometimes the split latches on to other hair so that also needs to be clipped. I have taken pictures of my splits but I don't usually post them. It is probably more troublesome for me because I have a lot of shrinkage. So my 7 inch hair shrinks up to 1.5 inches and splits wreck havoc there.

I have extended my dustings out as far as I feel I can. Previous years I dusted every 4 to 6 weeks. I have just been able to extend if to 4 months this past year.

I do think dusting can hurt retention but I would have only dusted twice before that picture and at worse it would have been 1" all together. 1" is a lot but not enough to impact my retention so visibly. I know I have a lot of breakage. I am still working on that. I will also measure my growth each month in 2019 to see what I am averaging. If it is like December, I only got about 1/3".

So in 2018, I may have grown 4, cut 1 and broke off 1, maybe leaving 2 inches.

I wanna win too. I have a strategy for next year. I will just have to see how it works.

TLC1020

Coming to check in :hiya:,

I'm officially out if the apl challenge because I cut my hair to a neck length bob. My hair wasn't right (ends & texture) so I just said to myself I was going to cut it, I cut it about two weeks ago.. I just relaxed my hair at 19 weeks post and right now my hair is molded down as I'm sitting under the dryer. I'm probably going to keep it in a cute short bob for now. :kiss3:

Congratulations to the ladies that made APL:congrats:

Good luck to the ladies that's still on the journey :grouphug: