Apl 2018

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I took my mini braids out last night after 6-7 weeks of being in. I plan on coloring and straightening my hair at the end of the week for my final length check. Still haven't 100% tried to upload a pic but I may do some testing soon.

faithVA

Coming to check in :hiya:,

I'm officially out if the apl challenge because I cut my hair to a neck length bob. My hair wasn't right (ends & texture) so I just said to myself I was going to cut it, I cut it about two weeks ago.. I just relaxed my hair at 19 weeks post and right now my hair is molded down as I'm sitting under the dryer. I'm probably going to keep it in a cute short bob for now. :kiss3:

Congratulations to the ladies that made APL:congrats:

Good luck to the ladies that's still on the journey :grouphug:

Thanks for checking in and letting us know.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Thank you @topnotch1010. Thank you for the encouragement. I do keep my styling simple. I'm either in flat twist or two strands. Unfortunately I can't not dust my hair. My hair splits so badly that when I don't dust my hair tangles so badly that it takes a lot of hair with it. I've extended my dustin's to every 4 months which is as long as I can stretch it out.

My regimen isn't really that complicated. My hair just tends to be on the dryer side and getting to stay moisturized is a challenge. I also think menopause isn't helping my cause.

But I will stick with it.

What type of products are you using when you put your hair up in a PS?

faithVA

What type of products are you using when you put your hair up in a PS?

Use TGIN for my deep conditioner and leave-in. Use Mane Magic for my oil. If I'm doing 2 strand twists, I'm using a gel: Mane Choice, Aunt Jackies, Jaded Tresses. Sometimes I use a gel for my flat twists but usually I'm using something like My Honey Child Type 4 Hair Cream or Mane Choice Daily Hair Moisturizer or whatever it is called. I use Castor Oil or Crisco on my ends right out of the shower.

I'm low porosity so my hair doesn't like coconut oil or any heavy butters. I've tried those and my hair just feels dry and stiff after a day. I have tried the curl juices as well but then my twist won't stay twisted and my hair feels sticky. I may try another one but really diluted.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Use TGIN for my deep conditioner and leave-in. Use Mane Magic for my oil. If I'm doing 2 strand twists, I'm using a gel: Mane Choice, Aunt Jackies, Jaded Tresses. Sometimes I use a gel for my flat twists but usually I'm using something like My Honey Child Type 4 Hair Cream or Mane Choice Daily Hair Moisturizer or whatever it is called. I use Castor Oil or Crisco on my ends right out of the shower.

I'm low porosity so my hair doesn't like coconut oil or any heavy butters. I've tried those and my hair just feels dry and stiff after a day. I have tried the curl juices as well but then my twist won't stay twisted and my hair feels sticky. I may try another one but really diluted.

Are you using the TGIN deep conditioner as a leave-in? (I'm hoping I read that right). This is only from my experience so please take it with a grain of salt, but I tried using a deep conditioner before as a leave in and had very bad breakage. It would eventually make my hair mushy to the point that it became brittle. I think it really depends on the ingredients, but I wonder if perhaps this could cause a problem for you?

I'm the same way with heavy butters, I think my hair is lo po too. I do like shea butter but I whip it 50/50 with sunflower oil and use very sparingly. Products geared toward natural hair are also too heavy for my hair and do nothing for my hair at all, just sit on top of it and make it mushy and weak. KCKT works, and Garnier Fructis Legendary Olive. I wish I had more to suggest, but leave-ins are a struggle.

Coconut oil as a leave in and products high in glycerin are a no for me too. Sunflower oil is high in ceramides and light. I could not use castor oil, and again this is just me but I think castor oil on ends that are already brittle could make things worse? It caused nothing but problems when I tried to use it on wet hair.

faithVA

I wish I could share all of the things I've tried but I've been here 8 years and it would take too much effort :lol:

I also have things going on with me that I didn't share so there are a lot of variables and details that impact my hair which I haven't shared.

This year is the first year is the first year where I've really had a regimen and a set of products that seem to work for my hair. It is also the first time my hair has stayed moisturized for 3 days and that I have been able to remoisturize it without have to rinse or shampoo my hair.

For 2019 the primary change is to drop shampoo and just stick to cleansing conditioner because my hair and ends just stay so dry.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I wish I could share all of the things I've tried but I've been here 8 years and it would take too much effort :lol:

I also have things going on with me that I didn't share so there are a lot of variables and details that impact my hair which I haven't shared.

This year is the first year is the first year where I've really had a regimen and a set of products that seem to work for my hair. It is also the first time my hair has stayed moisturized for 3 days and that I have been able to remoisturize it without have to rinse or shampoo my hair.

For 2019 the primary change is to drop shampoo and just stick to cleansing conditioner because my hair and ends just stay so dry.

Oh I feel you, I first went natural in 2010.

A regimen is probably the hardest thing to master, so now that you're there I'm sure things will get easier! I'll be with you in the 2019 APL challenge rooting for you the whole way!

:cup:

faithVA

Are you using the TGIN deep conditioner as a leave-in? (I'm hoping I read that right). This is only from my experience so please take it with a grain of salt, but I tried using a deep conditioner before as a leave in and had very bad breakage. It would eventually make my hair mushy to the point that it became brittle. I think it really depends on the ingredients, but I wonder if perhaps this could cause a problem for you?

I'm the same way with heavy butters, I think my hair is lo po too. I do like shea butter but I whip it 50/50 with sunflower oil and use very sparingly. Products geared toward natural hair are also too heavy for my hair and do nothing for my hair at all, just sit on top of it and make it mushy and weak. KCKT works, and Garnier Fructis Legendary Olive. I wish I had more to suggest, but leave-ins are a struggle.

Coconut oil as a leave in and products high in glycerin are a no for me too. Sunflower oil is high in ceramides and light. I could not use castor oil, and again this is just me but I think castor oil on ends that are already brittle could make things worse? It caused nothing but problems when I tried to use it on wet hair.
No. I have a separate deep conditioner and a leave-in. I've tried leaving conditioners in my hair and it just makes my hair feel dry.

My friend made me whipped shea butter. I used a little of it but had to relegate it to my skin. It just didn't seal well so my hair was just greasy.

I like the TGIN products. They seem to work fine on my hair out of everything I have tried so far. I have tried teh KCKT several times. It was too light.

I just started using Castor Oil on my ends. So it isn't the culprit. The Castor Oil and Crisco on my ends have helped immensely in keeping my ends from tangling up long enough for me to put the leave-in in my hair.

I had my hair tested in 2011 and the feedback was my hair is just naturally dry and I would have to moisturize it every day to try to combat it. But that just isn't feasible because my hair is too short to take down and put back up every day so 3 days it is.

My hair is difficult. It always has been. It has been dry since I was a child. I was just patiently keep working with it in 2019 until I come up with that winning combo. I don't believe there is an overnight fix.

faithVA

Oh I feel you, I first went natural in 2010.

A regimen is probably the hardest thing to master, so now that you're there I'm sure things will get easier! I'll be with you in the 2019 APL challenge rooting for you the whole way!

:cup:
Thank you. I appreciate the support and am looking forward to hanging out with you ladies. I will get over this and move on. I always do. :yep:

faithVA

I'm going to henna tomorrow so decided to cowash my hair tonight to give it a bit more moisture. Instead of shampooing, I will do a mudwash before the henna so everything will be gentle. Then I will measure my growth from 12/28 through 1/28 or abouts.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

I feel you. I’ve been here 10 years last month.:cry3: This is my second time going for BSL. I almost made it the first time then I moved to Houston and lost a lot of hair (true cause still unknown). That’s why I’m so determined to make it this time. After 10 years, one would think I would be at HL. But alas, I’m here… hopefully for the last time. I know how exciting it is to finally get a good regimen that leaves your hair moisturized for days! How wonderful!! Cheers to fulfilling all of our hair goals in 2019! :dance7:

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Still seeing a good bit of breakage when detangling. A few inches up the strands. Some breaks are directly in relation to ssks, which I've been s&ding aggressively now that I realize how much damage they cause, but others I'm still not sure. I felt like I was being gentle, but I may need to downshift to finger-detangling only? Hmmm.

faithVA

I feel you. I’ve been here 10 years last month.:cry3: This is my second time going for BSL. I almost made it the first time then I moved to Houston and lost a lot of hair (true cause still unknown). That’s why I’m so determined to make it this time. After 10 years, one would think I would be at HL. But alas, I’m here… hopefully for the last time. I know how exciting it is to finally get a good regimen that leaves your hair moisturized for days! How wonderful!! Cheers to fulfilling all of our hair goals in 2019! :dance7:

You are on your way. I will be cheering you on. As for me I will just continue to be patient. Each year is an approvement over the last, so I will be optimistic that 2019 is better than 2018.

Let's reach those goals :yep: :wahoo:

caribeandiva

Human being
The one year I didn’t join this challenge is the year I actually reached APL! :lachen:The irony! I’ve been spending all my time in the Shea butter thread hence why I didn’t join this year.

Aggie

Currently have some raspberry, nettle, black tea and hibiscus leaves on the stove for a herbal tea rinse to use this week on my hair. I should get about 3 full rinses out of it.