Apl\bsb 2019 Challenge

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Today makes just over 5 weeks with my mini braids. I've been redoing some of them just about every other day so I'm taking that as a sign to take them down soon. Will probably do it this weekend. I may even touch up my color.

Nothing bad has happened, but I think I am going to have to stop using my grease on my ends every day like I did last winter. I have noticed that doing it more than 2 days in a room causes an increase in dryness. Not to the point where I'm getting breakage, just that my hair feels worse. There are so many variables that have changed so I can't pinpoint just one thing. Right now I've cut the greasing to just my edges where the wig is and only do it 2x per week.

faithVA

I did a Cherry Lola treatment tonight, mudwash and then DC. I have always done a Cherry Lola Carmel treatment which I hate because it is so messy and it smells bad. The Cherry Lola is simpler and not messy if you use Greek Yogurt. My hair was much smoother when I finished.

I'm not sure how often I will do it. I will see how my hair feels when I wash out the DC tomorrow.

gforceroy

I am currently at my hair appointment getting my usual wash, deep condition and braids in a circle.

My hair is way thicker, and it looks like I got about 3/4 inch of growth, so my vitamins must be working lol. I usually get a bit less than a half an inch (I am a slow grower).

Today my stylist asked me "What are you going to do with all this hair when you wear it out?"

I haven't really thought about that because I have just been so focused on reaching a length goal. This time last year my hair was thin, the ends were bad (I had to cut 3 inches). I am also low porosity so it's harder to moisturize and it took me a while to find products that actually WORK. This is the thickest my hair has been in years (still a way to go) and my ends are the most blunt and even in a while. This was achieved though from protective styling all year and not wearing my hair out AT ALL, besides the day or two before getting my hair rebraided.

Honestly I am anxious to wear my hair out. I didn't even know my hair could be this dense. It used to be fine density now it's medium with fine, medium strands. Okay, I am guess I am just rambling at this point but I just need to figure out how to transition to wearing my hair out more without losing the length and thickness that I gained so my hair won't be like before .

Sorry this is way longer than I expected :blah:

Last edited:

Aggie

Currently doing my hair right now:

-Prepoo - Curl Origins Overnight Mask
-Shampoo - Kerastase Therapiste Shampoo
-Deep Conditioners - a combination of Mielle Organics Babassu & Mint DC (protein) and SSI Rose Clay DC (moisturizing).
-Leave-in - IN Hibiscus and Aloe Leave-in
-Moisturizer and sealant - SCurl Moisturizer, QB BRBC and BM Grease.

ms.tatiana

Great progress. What type of clip ins are you wearing? What do they look like?

I was being cheap lol. The clip ins I have now I got from Amazon. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0777L963Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

My hair blends better with 3c-4a clip ins but again I was being cheap and I have been making these clip ins work for me.

5124250B-4F23-4E2B-8F24-762F5267E830.jpeg 34AA9450-5867-4F53-8D3E-F87DB15E58D6.jpeg
http://[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/misstati89/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2019-03/61716257-4A83-44E9-9685-58CCAC4C6289_zps3h5vce4n.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii614/misstati89/Mobile%20Uploads/2019-03/61716257-4A83-44E9-9685-58CCAC4C6289_zps3h5vce4n.jpg

faithVA

I am currently at my hair appointment getting my usual wash, deep condition and braids in a circle.

My hair is way thicker, and it looks like I got about 3/4 inch of growth, so my vitamins must be working lol. I usually get a bit less than a half an inch (I am a slow grower).

Today my stylist asked me "What are you going to do with all this hair when you wear it out?"

I haven't really thought about that because I have just been so focused on reaching a length goal. This time last year my hair was thin, the ends were bad (I had to cut 3 inches). I am also low porosity so it's harder to moisturize and it took me a while to find products that actually WORK. This is the thickest my hair has been in years (still a way to go) and my ends are the most blunt and even in a while. This was achieved though from protective styling all year and not wearing my hair out AT ALL, besides the day or two before getting my hair rebraided.

Honestly I am anxious to wear my hair out. I didn't even know my hair could be this dense. It used to be fine density now it's medium with fine, medium strands. Okay, I am guess I am just rambling at this point but I just need to figure out how to transition to wearing my hair out more without losing the length and thickness that I gained so my hair won't be like before .

Sorry this is way longer than I expected :blah:
I can't wait to see all of this dense healthy hair. I am so glad things are going so well with your hair.

faithVA

I was being cheap lol. The clip ins I have now I got from Amazon. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0777L963Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

My hair blends better with 3c-4a clip ins but again I was being cheap and I have been making these clip ins work for me.

View attachment 443745 View attachment 443743
http://[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/misstati89/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2019-03/61716257-4A83-44E9-9685-58CCAC4C6289_zps3h5vce4n.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii614/misstati89/Mobile%20Uploads/2019-03/61716257-4A83-44E9-9685-58CCAC4C6289_zps3h5vce4n.jpg
They are working well for you. No need to spend more if these work fine. They blend very well.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I took my mini braids out over the weekend and I wore my hair in an oil soaked puff for 2 days. I don't think it looked horrible and I didn't notice an increase in breakage when I did finally get around to washing it.

And this is always my conundrum around this time of year. My hair is healthy enough to wear out without my wig but anything after 3 days of being out and I run the risk of a setback.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I ordered the Surya Brasil Henna cream to color my hair this weekend after washing.

Im looking at my stash now and figuring out what products I want to use.

I really want to color on Wednesday and get it kinky twisted on Sunday for an event. I don't plan on my hair being out too much for awhile.

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
Got a silk press this past Saturday and my stylist told me I had a lot of shedding and she was washing my hair. I brushed it off as normal shedding after being in twists for two months but she was concerned. So I'm going to give the Nioxin System 2 line a go to see if that helps.

In other news, I got a trim so I'm a little past collar bone right now.

ckisland

Editing all of this LOL!!

For some reason I thought that I had joined this challenge back in like early Feb :look: .

What length are you now?
Full SL

What's your regimen?
I'm going to be figuring this out as I go LOL! My plan was to wear my hair straight for the next 4 weeks, but my hair has already started to revert in the back :lol:. I've been keeping up with the Setting for Success threads, and I think Imma mosey my regimen that way.

Tentative Reggie:

Shampoo and DC weekly
Seal and set hair with perm rods (braid n'curl, twist n'curl, flattwist n'curl)
Wear hair down 1 day, then put away into low man style (dutch braids, buns, clipped up, halo twists)
Moisturize and reset (if needed) on day 3, then back into style until wash day

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Stop constantly wearing wash n'gos
Keep hair is stretched style
Not trim for the next 4 months :look:

What month do you expect to reach your goal?
I hope to be APL by July :pray:
Then I can work on getting to BSL by the end of the year

Last edited:

ckisland

So I used some new products yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about them. But what's new LOL!!!
I did a twist n'curl with perm rods curled up the length of the twists, so it came out really defined!

Tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll do a bun with bangs.

20190314_203253-600x800.jpg

20190314_203247-600x800.jpg

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I've been wearing my hair "out" from under my wig all week and I love it. I'm probably going to have to do a trim soon but I'm going to wait until next month. Also thinking of adding rice water to my routine but I want to do more research.

apple_natural

I have a lot of single strand knots. I'm having to do extensive work on them. I am trying to preserve length, though. I think it's working.

Because I like to organize my hair ideas so that I cannot say I don't know what to do with my hair, I have decided on a week hair style budget for the year. I can put it in a bun up to one week at a time, braids up to 8 weeks at a time, or in clip ins up to two weeks at a time. I will check in here once a week.

Week Budget:
Bun - 26 weeks
Clip ins - 6 weeks
Braids - 9 weeks

I need to get more leave in. I use Cantu.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Did a henna + indigo 2 step at the beginning of the week - now my hair is all one color yay! and I hope combatting any damage the salon color did in addition to thickening my hair.

Did a hot oil scalp massage with EVOO/EVCO + ylang ylang essential oil. Loved this and y-y essential oil is supposed to have all kinds of good benefits for hair not to mention the great sleep I got last night!

Shampooed twice and currently deep conditioning under the dryer with Obia Naturals Babassu deep conditioner < love this stuff, makes my curls pop and gives my hair that good moisturized feeling. Going to rinse, LOC and put in twists or braids.

I have a blowout + trim scheduled for Friday so trying to show my hair extra love before that. Excited and nervous to see what my hair will be like.

Aggie

After getting over my lazy spell after church I decided to hit the shower to start my hair. Here's what I decided on:

-Shampooing with Afro Love Mint Eucalyptus Rosemary Shampoo
-Color - Dominican Republic Big One henna
-Shampoo again with Natur Growth Bambu Shampoo
-Protein Treat with Natur Growth Nectar Repair
-Moisturizing DC with NG Rose Clay DC
-Leave in with IN Aloe and Hibiscus Leave-in
-M/S with CFCG Moisturizer and BM Grease or diy SB blend