Apl - Bsb 2020 Length Challenge

What's your Goal Length in 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apple_natural

@Journey_to_Hangtime I just ordered the Hairfinity shirt. I don't know if it is good or not

ETA: My shirt and vitamins were in the mail! I dont ever check the mail so who knows when I actually received it.

There are only 2500 mcg of biotin in here, so I am continuing my 5000mcg droplets as well as my b12 supplement. There is 20 mcg of b12 here, but I can use more b12 in my life anyway.

Last edited:

apple_natural

I would like my edge hairs to grow up this year. I have legit baby hairs but I also have broken edges. They were growing out at one point until I noticed them. Now their gone.... I did cut them at the end of the year last year due to knots and splits, but I would like actual edges.. as much as i can grow. My back was also pretty even with the rest of my hair until last summer's ponytails. They got broken. So, I want my edges and nape to grow in this year

apple_natural

Monday - put on aphogee 2 step

Tomorrow is the first day of Spring! I want to start wearing my own hair out,

I will do at least 2 actual hairstyles other than my regular everyday hairstyles regardless of extension use during spring and summer - no more than one week each.

I hope i like perm rod sets on me. Braid and twist outs are still options for daily wear. i'll be able to put on my henna gloss!

Last edited:

apple_natural

My hair appointment was cancelled due to corona precautions. I'll be dusting myself this April.
I feel like I started my 4th hair journey since my major trim in November. Wearing my hair out and actually liking how it looks is new for me, but I love it! I wish it was longer, but that's really unneccessary because I love it now! I'm just afraid that I'll damage it.

My lessons from the past 4 set backs:
Protein + Moisture - weekly henna gloss or dc, midweek moisture
Color isn't an enemy but it's not my bestfriend either
Dust every 6 months
Prepoo

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I’m currently trying out some new products (they were on sale). Below are my initial thoughts:

Bellebar:
Henna gloss- takes the guesswork out of making my own. Gently strengthens my hair. I mix mine with a moisturizing conditioner, which is probably why I feel it gently strengthens my hair.
Green tea rinse- good curl refresher that also strengthens my hair. I did not realize how much I missed tea rinsing. I will never leave it out of my regimen again.
Onion Garlic oil- it stinks, but it works! My scalp really likes it.
Overall, I’m seeing a difference in the feel, strength, and moisture content of my hair. My issue is the price point. Even if you are getting the expected amount of uses from each product, it is expensive. I understand I’m paying for the proprietor’s blend, the price point could be better for the amount you are getting. The items must be on sale for me to consider purchasing. Time will tell if these are holy grail items worth purchasing full price for.

faithVA

In the past 3 weeks I've had a lot of severe shedding and breakage. By this past Friday, I had pretty much lost half my length. So I will be lucky if I reach SL by the end of the year. It is what it is.

You ladies keep this challenge going. I will pop in every now and then.

faithVA

@faithVA awwww im sad! im very sad. its still early in the year though!!! it will hopefully look very good by the end of the year. do you know what caused the breakage
It is early but there's no way to make APL. Some of it's so short now I won't make SL. I'm not letting it get to me

More than likely it's from heat damage when I had my hair done 2 years ago.

apple_natural

It is early but there's no way to make APL. Some of it's so short now I won't make SL. I'm not letting it get to me

More than likely it's from heat damage when I had my hair done 2 years ago.

I know what you mean. It could be that. Well, you're being reasonable by making goals you believe you will accomplish. I'm happy that you aren't becoming down about it. No point in neglecting the healthy hair that is still there for you because of the damaged hair that is gone now :D

apple_natural

the mielle custard took about a day to dry.
slept with a bonnet, but my hair still shrunk up. I think this was due to my humidifier.
i still love it

cons- its way too oily and my scalp was dry. i had to put acv in my aloe spray and put that on my scalp. acv always works

Last edited:

apple_natural

i was going to blow my hair out and trim, but since i washed with the clay the other day its just so cute curly. its in a bun.

i did straighten one section behind my left ear. it was 9 inches in December. It was a bit past 10.5, but i trimmed what i thought was necessary. it is at 10.5 for sure now.

i am making so many notes because i feel like i am starting over learning my hair. plus i always refer to this forum to see what i did with my hair in the past. i have been hiding/neglecting my hair for years. i am just now wearing it out... like ever. i think i wore it out to school natural one time about 10 years ago.

Kells

Length check-in?

I'm still growing out an asymmetric cut that I'm not cutting even, just yet.

My sides & back have grown and my bang area is the same length as before because I did cut them a little bit.

Now I can pull it back into a sad little bun that never sees the light of day.
The shorter side doesn't quite make it back yet without pinning, but nevertheless I couldn't do it in JAN.

***Sorry for the horrible resolution; getting new phone. It should be better next time.

Comparing JAN-APRIL

Attachments

• 20200114_213459.jpg
    20200114_213459.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200405_162936.jpg
    20200405_162936.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 48

apple_natural

I'm putting in mini twists. I was going to do them medium sized but the smaller ones are so cute. I had to split the front ones I did yesterday. I'm doing a section a day. I'm using aloe juice and flaxseed gel.

So... After I do this... I will put castor oil on the ends every few days. I'll wash once a week. Acv&aloe juice on my scalp mid week...... Mmm. I can wrap them to stretch them. I ordered some accessories and scarves from aliexpress. I will just retwist in sections too hopefully.

apple_natural

I thought I was crazy when i first noticed this, but now I definitely see a difference. I believe that something I'm taking is clearing my old scars. it could be the biotin. could be the vitamin c. it could be something in the hairfinity... one of these are clearing scars that I've had for years. I had a scar from a kick from a soccer game in the 7th grade. that was many moons ago and it is just now clearing. the earliest scar is 8 years ago and it is also clearing.

hopefully my hair is growing. the ends are looking good. i washed it... maybe the day before yesterday and put on TGIN Miracle Repairx Curl Food.

emgem77

Newbie here! Long time lurker and I have been protective styling since the beginning of the year but for some reason I can't retain my growth. I got a trim today and I'm shoulder length and I'm hoping to get a few more inches by the end of the year.

Post the following to join

What length are you now? shoulder length

What's your goal length for this challenge? APL

What's your regimen? Hair is currently in knotless braids, I'm going to try to put together a regimen while in this style

What do you need to do/change to reach APL/BSB? get a solid regimen, start using growth aids.

What month do you expect to reach your goal? December

Post your starting pic. I'll post a pic when I take these braids out....

The challenge will officially start on January 1st, 2020 and end December 31st, 2020.

Check in at least 1x a month to let us know you are on track and to support everyone else. Let's do what we can to keep this thread lively.

HealthyHair2020

So my hair is doing pretty well. Three weeks ago, I did a little trim just to even out my ends a bit but the hair at my nape is past my collarbone! Also the hair right above my forehead is jusssst at my chin so I'm pretty happy with how my hair is growing. I do think I might be doing trims too often so I think I might do them twice a year instead of 3-4 times a year and just up my frequency of protein treatments.

Last edited:

apple_natural

I believe I will only retain 4 inches of hair this year. I did a slight pull measure thing and I came to 11 inches. I started with 9. I cut 1/2 an inch. I think I will come out at 13 by December 31st. I think I needed 15 to be BSL. I should make this by June 21 of next year.

I kind of guessed this, but I think I have enough evidence to start to fully accept that I will not be BSL by December. It's possible, but I need to get over it. Instead I need to focus on using up my hair products (which is a trick to keep my regimen).

I'm not going to purchase another Hairfinity. I will continue with biotin and b12. I'll start back up my iron supplements (i'm anemic).

apple_natural

for the last week, i've been conditioning my hair pretty much everyday. I did a megatek twice and cholesterol tub conditioner other days. I ended with my moisturizing conditioner. it doesn't feel so dry now. the ends are still fragile... i'll put shea butter on them this week.

right now, i rinsed my hair. i had conditioner on it without a baggy, so it dried. i put on coconut oil and CHI keratin mist. I was going to blow it out, but I decided not to do that. I mentioned the ends were fragile and I don't want to clip it right now. I just pulled a little section behind my left ear for a quick length check and put it all in 8 bantu knots.. The ends didn't feel crunchy! They were smooth. I was surprised.

I'm going to just continue with once a week wash and dc, a mid week moisturizing w/acv and aloe... and put shea on the ends. I may twist it back up for the rest of the year. I have some wigs if I get tired of it.

apple_natural

i went through a lot of old photos of my hair to see that I have been hovering around APL for years. I went from barely shoulder length to APL in 2016 and have had photos around APL since then. I have small setbacks and end up back at the same place over and over. I don't think I ever realized that I've been around APL all this time.