Apl - Bsb 2020 Length Challenge

What's your Goal Length in 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apple_natural

RT section behind my ear that I am tracking pulled to 13 inches today. I think there are about 5 strands that make there, but it's still there lol. I was wondering if it would be 13 inches by December. I think it will be. Now, I'm wondering if it will grow to 15 inches.... that is sort of a stretch, but that is what I am hoping for :D last minute growth goals lol.

apple_natural

i took out my jumbo braids. I was replacing a few and my hair was so dry even though I thought I moisturized it the other day. I should have bought scurl like I said I was going to. anyway. I was getting broken hairs along the parts lines and it was breaking at the point the hair would have entered the braid so I think it was because that section was so tangled and dry. when I took them down, they were all bunched up at the start of the braid so i'm sure that and the dryness caused the breakage.

anyway, i took them out and its now in twists drenched in coconut oil. I have a baggy on and bonnet. i finger detangled out the "bunched up" part from the beginning of each braid, but then i used one of those finger looking detangling brushes. i only needed to brush through each section once or twice. it works pretty well.

now, i dont know what i'm going to do with it... i think i may get some clip ins and wear it in some styles before I braid it again smaller.... probably sometime in January

eta: PERM RODS!
I mean I can try these. it seems like it will take forever and I wont keep it up, but I am going to try to see how I can put in perm rods in my style options

Last edited:

apple_natural

I didn't do a henna gloss. I forgot to prepare it. instead, I put on a bentonite clay/acv mask mixed with amla, brahmi, and neem it was pretty thick. I prefer this mask watery
I put megatek on one side and my macademia nut conditioner on the other since I couldn't decide- I guess I will use the megatek if I don't henna and the macademia if i do (in the future)
I left those in overnight - I was tired
I'm sitting under a hooded dryer for a while. deliberating my plan. I want to put in a perm rod set, however, I dont know how to do it....
which leave in? - decision: use my cantu leave in. I want the container when its empty
curl cream? - decision: use one of the many curling creams my mom bought - I need to use these up
mouse? - decision: I dont want too many products. i think I have curl setting creams, so they should hold it. idk
how to stretch my hair? - decision: I'm not in a rush. I will braid it and let it dry this night to stretch it
how to dry the set? - decision: I will let it air dry until Sunday 11am. if it is somehow now dry, I will sit under my hooded dryer
ETA perm rod method: I'm going to follow the method of twisting my roots and using a million and one perm rods. I dont know which color/size rod I'm going to use yet. I have a ton of assorted sized I thought was good for my length and the size curl I want. they've been sitting in a box for about a year. I'll come back to state which color i went with

Last edited:

apple_natural

okie... i have yet to check for a setting challenge. i will look for one for next year.

Perm rods are in! - purple in the back. peach on the sides and front edges. orange on the top and some of the right side. one on the left side. I have a left side part

After my dc (previous post), I let my hair dry in braids overnight until about 3pm today. it did dry. I hate too much oil on my hair. It wasn't so much that it was on my neck this time, but I had to put a towel over my pillow to stop the transferring through my bonnet

To set, I ended up using Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibicus mousse for the set. I was happy that it had neem in it. That's cool. I had this already and used it since many perm rod demonstration videos had mousse as the setting product. Towards the front, I added a "twisting gel" to the ends and some even on the roots... so we'll see how that turns out lol. I hope it isn't crunchy. Besides that, I am wondering if I used enough mousse.

I haven't sat under the dryer yet. i may though. Right now, I have a bonnet on.

apple_natural

I LOVE IT!

Product verdict: I put on this twisting gel stuff. I thought it was curl cream. It didnt hurt, but I didn't need it. I did need to use more mousse at the top, though. The mousse gave a defined and soft curl. It worked great. I would use this mousse again

Perm rod drying: I did end up sitting under the dryer for like 45 minutes because I took one down at the top and it was still wet. I think it was because those had the gel stuff

Perm rod size: I love the purple and the peach ones. The orange ones didn't really stay, but I think its because I didn't use much mousse on these. I used the twisting gel. I won't use that again. Also, I love the size of the purple and peach rod curls. I may use those all over next time.

It's so adorable. I will do this style again. I was surprised that actually putting in the perm rods did not take as long as I thought.

apple_natural

I forgot that I wanted to put on a hot oil treatment/prepoo before I detangled my perm rod set for wash day. I decided in the middle of the night to wash my hair in the shower and I instantly realized that I was not going to have a good time. I tried to carefully detangle each curl. I made a couple of knots. I did unravel a few knots. I put on coconut oil before I used a detangling comb. I had quite a few broken o's and a ball of hair that was most likely also mostly broken hairs... idk. i could have prevented much of the broken hair if I had done the prepoo.

The amount of breakage wasn't especially horrible, but it wasn't very good. I have to remember to prepoo. I'm going to put a sign in my closet of supplies. Also, I hope I don't have to trim as much this December as I did last year, but I am thinking of another trim in December. just going to stay on top of my henna until my next scheduled trim.. unless I find out the ends are really horrible after all. then i'll add a trim.

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
What length are you now?
-I think APL or ~.5-1 inch above APL

What's your goal length for this challenge?
-Full APL

What's your regimen?

-Weekly Moisture (Hibiscus) & Strength (Henna Gloss) Treatments + Protective Styling

What do you need to do/change to reach APL/BSB?

-Maintain my routine and avoid extended lazy days.

What month do you expect to reach your goal?

-December 30, 2020

Post your starting pic. October 30, 2020
16DC1659-822F-4604-B69E-45820F55777E.jpeg

apple_natural

@TamaraShaniece Welcome! I see Natty Naturals as one of your staple brands. I was finally able to order from them. I wanted their leave in conditioner. I got it a couple of days ago. The vanilla scent is not overpowering, but it is there. I love the scent and I like the consistency of this leave-in. They were always sold out when I tried to get it, so I purchased all the ingredients and made everything but a leave in conditioner with it. I'm happy I have the real thing

xx

Sunday: henna gloss, dc, dusted some ends due to wild single strand knots.
MSM: I finished my container! I repurchased it
Biotin: I also finished this! I think its the biotin smoothing out my old hypertrophic scars. I'm very happy about that. Repurchasing

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@TamaraShaniece Welcome! I see Natty Naturals as one of your staple brands. I was finally able to order from them. I wanted their leave in conditioner. I got it the other day... I think Friday or Saturday. The vanilla scent that I got is not overpowering, but it is there. I love the scent and I like the consistency of this leave in overall. They were always sold out when I tried to get it, so I purchased all the ingredients and made everything but a leave in conditioner with it. I'm happy I have the real thing

xx

I put on a henna gloss treatment Sunday I think. I deep conditioned with heat and left it in overnight because I was tired. I dusted some of my ends because some sections were wild with single strand knots from my braids. I'm going to go some time without braids because I got breakage from the jumbo braids. I'll blow it all out for a better trim in the spring if I can wait that long.

I finished my container of MSM and repurchased it. I should receive it tomorrow. I'm nearly out of my biotin. I don't believe it is doing anything with my hair, but it is smoothing out my old hypertrophic scars. I had quite a few old scars and they are all smoothing out if not gone. So happy

That’s wonderful. I’ve been using her leave faithfully the second time around since 2017. I felt like when I was trying product after product (the YouTube bait) my hair wasn’t growing. When I stopped trying every new launch and stuck to what I know, my hair started flourishing using Nattys leave in. The high water base really adds that hydration into my hair.

Where did you get your breakage if you don’t mind me asking? Did you apply jumbo braids to blow dried hair? I’m getting faux locs in a couple weeks, any tips on how to moisture my hair? I feel like when I went over a week in a protective style without stretched hair, I got a lot of SSKs.
This time around in faux locs, I want to take my MSM daily, my chlorella daily, and use a growth oil consistently. Any advice or anything words of wisdom/caution.... I’m so open to it.

apple_natural

Where did you get your breakage if you don’t mind me asking? Did you apply jumbo braids to blow dried hair? I’m getting faux locs in a couple weeks, any tips on how to moisture my hair? I feel like when I went over a week in a protective style without stretched hair, I got a lot of SSKs.
This time around in faux locs, I want to take my MSM daily, my chlorella daily, and use a growth oil consistently. Any advice or anything words of wisdom/caution.... I’m so open to it.

Nope, I didn't blow dry it. I may have stretched it, but I wash them, so they would revert. In smaller braids, I do this and I have no problem.

The breakage was along the parts. When I took down my braids, it seemed like build up in the knot was dry and causing the breakage. I had them in for about a month before I redid them and left them for another month. It was the second month where I experienced this. I don't know. Also, I think it didn't like being pulled far. In smaller braids, I would have less tension, I think, because the hair isn't pulled that far. I don't think I braid tightly. It must have been the combination of everything.

When I braided my hair last time, it was really nice. I put in shea butter before I braided it and I moisturized with scurl. That was the best set up. I washed my scalp, but not a lot. Probably once 2-3 weeks. I think I put those in on blown out hair. Also, I think my ends were clipped right before those braids. Idk.

apple_natural

11/8 - I want to cut my hair. Also, baggy frequently - Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I bought the gold brand MSM. I put in coconut oil
11/10 - I washed with neutralizing shampoo. This did the trick. My hair was not feeling right. It was crunchy and dry. I did wash the right side too many times since I was not getting my scalp too well on that side. My hair also loves cholesterol conditioners. I have on some random brand cholesterol cream from sally's.

Last edited:

apple_natural

So i did decided that I was going to cut my hair. I got all ready and section by section I learned that it is just fine. It even looks healthy and happy. I left it alone. I didn't even clip the ends at all.

This will be the first APL challenge that I actually will consider myself having completed. It was truly a challenge to overcome potential set backs and hurdles that I previously had that kept me from my goals. I overcame negative viewpoints I held about my hair and I think I met my BSB goal. I am ready for the next goal. I even found a staple leave in for once in my life. Natty Naturals is worth purchasing in my opinion. I bought a ton of it so im happy I like it lol

I'm running low on shea butter though so I'll be looking into making another batch or finding something I want to use with my leave in... Because my leave in is natural, I'm likely to use another natural cream.. or blue magic grease lol

ETA more thoughts..
Next year, I think my challenge is going to be to exercise and eat more than one meal a day. I never eat and I never do any exercise. No bueno

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Either this weekend or next weekend I will do my end of the year check. I doubt I made BSB all around or even BSL. The second half of 2020 has been really stressful. I’m just thankful I have some on my head still.

apple_natural

I was seriously nearly crying because I thought my hair had grown more than the photos were showing. I looked through them all and saw that it was drawing up. That's fine. It only stays straight when I get it done at a salon which I will do if I get the extra 5 inches I want. I'm definitely APL.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Plotting on length check this weekend.

I plan on using the revair to stretch and then flat iron to see where Im at for 2021. Not expecting anything more than where I was at June. kinda really didnt have much on my mind other than my mom.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Didn’t feel like taking pictures after taking near all day to do my hair. I’m still between APL and BSB.
I have a long back and the top of my bra and the bottom of my bra is a few inches away from MBL. SMH.

All in all I would need a solid 5-6 inches to safely put me at the bottom of my bra.

I stopped taking my vitamins and stress/grief I’m thankful it didn’t fall off.
I’m putting it in Bantu knots for body until I wash it again on Wednesday.

Attachments

• 9FAC5315-9D54-47B3-ADC7-074C047C49A4.png
    9FAC5315-9D54-47B3-ADC7-074C047C49A4.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 38

Kells

Alright, my pics from earlier this year and today.
It seems like my bangs haven’t grown, but I’ve slowly been evening this assymetric cut out all year.
it’s mostly even now but here’s my results.
Sides are neck length and back is a little below collarbone, so Imma go ahead and claim SL.
APL’s next!

Attachments

• ADE70E87-B255-4887-BBFC-4BAF8800EF39.jpeg
    ADE70E87-B255-4887-BBFC-4BAF8800EF39.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 978DC667-44A6-4946-8F76-97D8EC7C5810.jpeg
    978DC667-44A6-4946-8F76-97D8EC7C5810.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 11
  • C67C04B4-E551-45C6-B0BD-3617A83E02E2.jpeg
    C67C04B4-E551-45C6-B0BD-3617A83E02E2.jpeg
    655.7 KB · Views: 18

Kells

For some reason, my 3 starter pics won't upload, so here's the link to my 2020 starting pics in this thread page 3, post #85.

Last edited:

felic1

Keep wearing scarves. Use less oil on scalp, but keep oiling scalp. Keep moisturizing braids. Keep taking supplements until they are finished even if you don't think they are working. Keep drinking water. Try to do some exercise..... I hope to get 5 inches by March, but even if I don't. I think I will have the length I want by this time next year. I want to have about 17/18 inches before doing protective styles with only my hair and not using extensions. I guess that is my goal right now - Having enough hair to like hairstyles without extensions.
It has been a while since I posted in here but I recently blow dried my hair and I'VE GOTTEN TO APL! It has been my goal this year so I guess now I can move change it to BSB now. Here are some of the pics I took.

View attachment 463755

View attachment 463757

Keep wearing scarves. Use less oil on scalp, but keep oiling scalp. Keep moisturizing braids. Keep taking supplements until they are finished even if you don't think they are working. Keep drinking water. Try to do some exercise..... I hope to get 5 inches by March, but even if I don't. I think I will have the length I want by this time next year. I want to have about 17/18 inches before doing protective styles with only my hair and not using extensions. I guess that is my goal right now - Having enough hair to like hairstyles without extensions.
Hello @apple_natural ! Happy new year! I have a couple questions on this encouragement post. When you save keep wearing scarves are you saying full head or around the edges? I have to add a vitamin and am looking for some brand recommendations. Thank you!