APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

Rozlewis

Re: APL 2014 Challenge

checking in. My hair is holding up pretty good. I will not be doing a length check until my next relaxer which is right before Christmas.

pearlific1

Ladies, I got up early this morning to walk my dog and the only thing I thought about on the walk was how much I love my hair. :yep:

Sorry so long. I was just reflecting on my journey:

My hair isn't long or anything, I just love how it's behaving and responding now. Background: I joined LHCF back in '08 because I wanted to learn and practice healthy hair techniques. I grew my straight relaxed hair to MBL and loved it. Then I decided to transition to natural. After cutting off my relaxed hair, I realized that I wasn't in love with my natural hair. It was a complete nightmare. No matter what I used, what technique I tried, or what prayer I said, my natural hair and I fought daily. After a year and a half, I simply gave up. I wasn't retaining length, my hair was always dry, and I never felt groomed. So, I gave in a got a virgin relaxer. I thought my stylist, who is natural, would hate me forever. :lol: Uh, no. I walked out of the salon looking just like I did when I walked in. My relaxer didn't take at all. :nono: 4 or 5 months later, I tried to get another relaxer. Same results. :nono: 4 months after that a went to a new stylist who tried a different relaxer. My hair looked straight while she was smoothing...exactly what I wanted. Then she placed me under the dryer with my straight coated with DC. I noticed that my hair began shrinking the longer I sat there. I'd gone from straight SL hair to a full curly fro! What just happened?! The relaxer didn't completely break my hair down. It elongated my curls.

So now I have more of a texturized look...a texlax. It is simply amazing. Detangling is a breeze. I'm retaining length. I can rock natural styles without being natural. I just love everything about my hair at this point. I get compliments every day on my hair. Life is good and I'm in love with my tresses. APL, I'm coming for you.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Ladies, I got up early this morning to walk my dog and the only thing I thought about on the walk was how much I love my hair. :yep:

Sorry so long. I was just reflecting on my journey:

My hair isn't long or anything, I just love how it's behaving and responding now. Background: I joined LHCF back in '08 because I wanted to learn and practice healthy hair techniques. I grew my straight relaxed hair to MBL and loved it. Then I decided to transition to natural. After cutting off my relaxed hair, I realized that I wasn't in love with my natural hair. It was a complete nightmare. No matter what I used, what technique I tried, or what prayer I said, my natural hair and I fought daily. After a year and a half, I simply gave up. I wasn't retaining length, my hair was always dry, and I never felt groomed. So, I gave in a got a virgin relaxer. I thought my stylist, who is natural, would hate me forever. :lol: Uh, no. I walked out of the salon looking just like I did when I walked in. My relaxer didn't take at all. :nono: 4 or 5 months later, I tried to get another relaxer. Same results. :nono: 4 months after that a went to a new stylist who tried a different relaxer. My hair looked straight while she was smoothing...exactly what I wanted. Then she placed me under the dryer with my straight coated with DC. I noticed that my hair began shrinking the longer I sat there. I'd gone from straight SL hair to a full curly fro! What just happened?! The relaxer didn't completely break my hair down. It elongated my curls.

So now I have more of a texturized look...a texlax. It is simply amazing. Detangling is a breeze. I'm retaining length. I can rock natural styles without being natural. I just love everything about my hair at this point. I get compliments every day on my hair. Life is good and I'm in love with my tresses. APL, I'm coming for you.

Thank you for sharing...what a great reflection. I'm so glad you have found what works for you.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

PlainJane

I'm in! I've reached APL twice before, but never a healthy APL. I'm joining this to stay focused. Current hair length: -Shoulder Length Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: -Relaxed Goal Month: -April '14 (Touching APL) August '14 (Full APL) Current Reggie and styling choices: -wash and dc weekly, moisturize and seal daily, bunning 95% of the time, relax around 10 weeks What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?: -add dusting to my regimen and learn how to self-relax Post a beginning picture -

Edit: Pic from 10/13/13

image-1259963245.jpg

Last edited:

plumcherry1986

1. Current hair length - Little past SL and shorter on the sides
  2. Natural
  3. March 2014
  4. Shampoo (once/week) DC with HN Moisture Boosting (once/week), apply HN leave in conditioner (4-5x/week)
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I am going to cut back on pressing my hair (I'm not going to do it again until November) and I may start using Curl Rehab to DC in rotation with HN
  6. Post a beginning picture (I will soon)

Last edited:

Wenbev

added my photo in my original post back on page one. Trying not to think I'm out of my league in this challenge even though faithVA says otherwise.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

I'm all in!!

1. Current hair length EL sides, Nose length front, SL-CBL nape and back, barely EL crown
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning Natural!
  3. Goal Month December 2014 if not a little past since I will be trimming up these ridiculous layers and dusting on the regular.
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices Mostly using Ayurvedic powders and teas for full once a week full wash and DC. Mid week cowashes with a DC if nec. Most styles are twist outs and occassional crochet braids for PSing. Hopefully by mid-spring will have enough to pull into a bun, even if I have to add hair. Also doing scalp massages and inversion to stimulate growth esp in the crown
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Nothing. The retention seems to be great with current reggie.
  6. Post a beginning picture Will use my end of year SL 2013 challenge LC and post at that time.

bronxsoloist

Good day all! This challenge is my reason for joining. I've always needed a motivator in my hair journeyand I think I've finally found it.
Join the Challenge
Current hair length: Bangs= bottom lip Crown= neck. Sides= shoulder to past collar. Nape= almost armpit
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning. Natural but transitioning from my last color in april 2012
Goal Month December 2014 . I want to give myself time
Current Reggie and styling choices. I wash dc style every 4 to 6 weeks. I use chicoros method with water t tree aloe Vera mix. Coconut oil then seal with a Shea mix . White and yellow Shea cocoa butter, coconut oil and honey. Then I usually ghe. I ghe daily anyhow with my water oil mix spritz. I massage my scalp with an herbal infused oil I made. It's strong so I dilute with castor oil then ghe. I wear my hair in either two strand twists or medium box braids. I keep my hair up and covered most of the time.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Cowashing more frequently. Every two weeks. More oil rinses. Just started inversion and would like to keep up. Taking biotin and msm daily.
No more pony tails or buns with my braids or twists I feel the tension and want to stop before there's a problem. Drinking more water. I think that's all.
Post a beginning picture
Going to post my wedding day elopement photo it's all I got. Took it on 10 10. 4 days post wash and style

Attachments

• 20131010_131706.jpg
    20131010_131706.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 123

Tatilove

OMG! I really want to join, but I'm not even shoulder length yet. I'm not even sure if I will make shoulder by December. I haven't been taking care of my hair at alll. I lost length and thickness, that's most of my progress since I started the hair journey in June. Work has just been so crazy lately, but I'm ready to get back on the horse. I'm pretty sure with some care and patience I would be able to make APL sometime in 2014. I think...

IslandMummy

Good day all! This challenge is my reason for joining. I've always needed a motivator in my hair journeyand I think I've finally found it. Join the Challenge Current hair length: Bangs= bottom lip Crown= neck. Sides= shoulder to past collar. Nape= almost armpit Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning. Natural but transitioning from my last color in april 2012 Goal Month December 2014 . I want to give myself time Current Reggie and styling choices. I wash dc style every 4 to 6 weeks. I use chicoros method with water t tree aloe Vera mix. Coconut oil then seal with a Shea mix . White and yellow Shea cocoa butter, coconut oil and honey. Then I usually ghe. I ghe daily anyhow with my water oil mix spritz. I massage my scalp with an herbal infused oil I made. It's strong so I dilute with castor oil then ghe. I wear my hair in either two strand twists or medium box braids. I keep my hair up and covered most of the time. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Cowashing more frequently. Every two weeks. More oil rinses. Just started inversion and would like to keep up. Taking biotin and msm daily. No more pony tails or buns with my braids or twists I feel the tension and want to stop before there's a problem. Drinking more water. I think that's all. Post a beginning picture Going to post my wedding day elopement photo it's all I got. Took it on 10 10. 4 days post wash and style

Awwww congratulations on your marriage!!!

Aggie

Okay ladies the time has come to start our new APL 2014 Challenge. I normally don't start actual challenges but I was forced lol. I don't mind though bc we are all here for the same thing. As before lets continue to encourage one another. I know some of us do get frustrated with our hair but lets remember, it's just hair and we will get there! I just copied the rules from BeautyU2U 2012 thread. We can do this ladies!!! :yep:

The Guidelines

1. Join the challenge by clicking "thanks" on this post and I'll add you to the list.
  2. The challenge will officially begin on December 31, 2013 and run til December 31, 2014.
  3. The challenge is open to join at any time. No cut off date!
  4. Post pictures with updates, protective styling ideas, and anything else hair related that you'd like to share.
  5. STAY POSITIVE!! Remember to encourage each other and provide insightful feedback.
Join the Challenge
  1. Current hair length
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
  3. Goal Month
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
  6. Post a beginning picture
Scheduled Updates

Length checks only have to be twice per year so we are not obsessing over length but healthy hair in general. First pic should be your starting pic and then LC pic in June and another one in December. If you feel you have gained enough to post a sooner LC then please follow the check in dates below.

1. March 31st
  2. June 30th
  3. September 30th
  4. December 31st

1. Current hair length - Neck Length
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning - Texlaxed
  3. Goal Month - Between December 2014 and June 2015
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices - Afro kinky twist extensions/Bunning/Wigging
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? - Hendigoing a little more often than every 2-3 months as I have been doing for the last year and a half because I have been sooooo busy with my new business.
  6. Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• Agatha 219.jpg
    Agatha 219.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 86

faithVA

[USER=322033 said:
Wenbev[/USER];19088917]added my photo in my original post back on page one. Trying not to think I'm out of my league in this challenge even though faithVA says otherwise.

As one of the previous posters said, she was a TWA in march and now she has some parts of her hair at SL and she is on her way to APL. We still have 10+ weeks this year and a full 52 next year, so I don't think you are out of your league.

LdyKamz

added my photo in my original post back on page one. Trying not to think I'm out of my league in this challenge even though @faithVA says otherwise.

You and me both. I'm about NL and I joined mainly to keep me on track. it'll be a miracle to reach APL by next years end. Here's hoping!

prettybyrd

OMG! I really want to join, but I'm not even shoulder length yet. I'm not even sure if I will make shoulder by December. I haven't been taking care of my hair at alll. I lost length and thickness, that's most of my progress since I started the hair journey in June. Work has just been so crazy lately, but I'm ready to get back on the horse. I'm pretty sure with some care and patience I would be able to make APL sometime in 2014. I think...

C'mon and join, Tatilove! You can do it. :) If you haven't been taking care of your hair, let this challenge be your motivation.

I'm not full SL either; I'm NL/SL in the nape. All you need is a nice tight regimen, and some motivation (aka this thread) and you're good!

I hope that you join us!

faithVA

Come on in here Tatilove. You can do like some of the rest of us and join SL 2014 and APL 2014 at the same time. I'm not SL yet either and won't be by the end of the year.

Just join us and have some fun. :yep:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal

After I took my braids out I cornrowed my hair and I'm rocking a pixie cut wig going on 2 weeks now. I may continue doing through the end of the year. I DC weekly and keep hair cornrowed. Twice a week I mist with a Giovanni leave in conditioner and keep wigging it. I remove the wig everyday when I get home but I wrap my hair in a silf scarf right away to keep my hands out of my hair. I have not flat ironed my hair in 6 weeks. I need to though.

LdyKamz

My hair seems to be thriving but I'm wondering if there is something else I should be doing to get that extram umph. I wash and dc 2x weekly. Use a light protein 1x weekly and the last week of every month I do a mild/hard protein. The other days I just leave my hair alone. I really don't want to add any more steps to the hair routine. Should I try vitamins/supplements? I don't take any now. But I know some of you have. What yields the best results?

Last edited:

naija24

Every time I go to a Dominican salon I seriously debate the need for a relaxer. At least it'll help me stretch my hair for another couple of weeks. Still hoping for shoulder length at my nape by december

Royalq

i honestly dont even remember if i officially joined this challenge. But im about 1-1.5 inches away from APL. actually im technically already APL but i want to be undoubtedly APL.

PinkyPromise

I suck at challenges but I'm in. Seriously this time. I promise!!

-Natural 4a/4b
-CBL
-Hairfinity/MSM/Vitamin C
-Exercise at least 4 days/week
-Healthy Vegetable and Fruit based diet.
-Twists/Twist Outs (waiting for longer length for Bantu Knots)
-Coconut Cowash
-Spray bottle with water and Aloe Vera juice mixed
-Shea Moisture Curl Style Milk/ Loreal Ever Curl Conditioner
-JBCO/Sesame Seed Oil for sealing

Time for pics!!

image-1393895259.jpg
Top Left: PURPLE HAIR November 2012 11 months ago
Bottom Left: TWA April 2013 6 months ago Right: My puff today!!

So I got some pretty good growth in 6 months! I cut my hair and I'm doing better with it this time and learning what works for it. Consistency is key for me! I might straighten my hair for my birthday in December. I'll post the pic if I do!

Attachments

• image-813147429.jpg
    image-813147429.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=301835 said:
PinkyPromise[/USER];19106745]I suck at challenges but I'm in. Seriously this time. I promise!!

-Natural 4a/4b
-CBL
-Hairfinity/MSM/Vitamin C
-Exercise at least 4 days/week
-Healthy Vegetable and Fruit based diet.
-Twists/Twist Outs (waiting for longer length for Bantu Knots)
-As I Am Coconut Cowash
-Spray bottle with water and Aloe Vera juice mixed
-Shea Moisture Curl Style Milk/ Loreal Ever Curl Conditioner
-JBCO/Sesame Seed Oil for sealing

Time for pics!!

View attachment 229711
Top Left: PURPLE HAIR November 2012 11 months ago
Bottom Left: TWA April 2013 6 months ago Right: My puff today!!

So I got some pretty good growth in 6 months! I cut my hair and I'm doing better with it this time and learning what works for it. Consistency is key for me! I might straighten my hair for my birthday in December. I'll post the pic if I do!

Welcome to the challenge. Your hair is growing quickly. You may be APL very soon.