APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

yoli184

Been APL for a few months now but I'm officially claiming today. :yay::yay::yay:
My hair is touching top of my bra as of now, but I won't claim until it reaches the bottom of my bra (full BSL).

PlainJane

I have been thinking about this protein treatment all day. My hair was literally breaking everywhere while I styled it this morning. I'm so glad I stopped using combs and brushes throughout the week or I never would have known how much my hair was breaking.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wish yoli184! I dyed my hair with Dark & Lovely Ravishing Red. It's about time for me to touch up my roots :evilbanana: Color and heat are my hair vices :lol:

PlainJane which protein conditioner are you going to use?

bluenvy

:blush:While browsing my photo album I came across ponytail pic taken 5 months ago. So I compared it to one I took yesterday. Progress:yep:

PlainJane

Prettymetty I used ors nourishing conditioner. It was a complete fail.

What does it say about my hair if products never give it slip? I've started to notice that majority of the products mentioned on the board for having great slip don't work for me at all. Am I missing something in my regimen? I know nothing about hair science like most of you so is this a smooth cuticle/porosity/moisture/ph problem I'm not aware of?

Please tell me your favorite DCs with slip. I'm going to buy all of them.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
PlainJane Vo5 has the best slip hands down, but it isn't a dc. It is an instant conditioner.

Keracare Humecto is my favorite moisturizing conditioner. I use Nexxus Emergencee for my protein treatments.

What is your texture and are you natural or relaxed? I think vo5 works for most people and it only costs $1 a bottle. Let me know how it works if you try it out

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have been looking at pics of dyed hair lately. I'm trying to get some inspiration for my next color. I thought I wanted a sandy/dirty blonde, but now I think I want a warm red shade. Nothing too bold or crazy. Kinda like cinnamon

myhairgrowstoo

I know i barely have posted since i joined. I'm really bad at updating things. But i did a length check yesterday after getting a flat iron at the Pynk Butterfly Salon in Columbia, SC. My hairstylist was Tameka and she was great and only trimmed off 1/2in. I know because i kept my eye on her the whole time.
I think i made it to BSL
ForumRunner_20141107_112652.jpg

ForumRunner_20141107_112703.jpg

ForumRunner_20141107_112715.jpg

PlainJane

PlainJane Vo5 has the best slip hands down, but it isn't a dc. It is an instant conditioner. Keracare Humecto is my favorite moisturizing conditioner. I use Nexxus Emergencee for my protein treatments. What is your texture and are you natural or relaxed? I think vo5 works for most people and it only costs $1 a bottle. Let me know how it works if you try it out
I'm 11 months into my transition. I used to use keracare humecto when I was relaxed I'll have to visit it again now. I have 6 bottles of vo5 in my stash that are all different and haven't found one that gives me slip yet. I think I've tried the orange one and blue one so far but I'll have to check

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I know i barely have posted since i joined. I'm really bad at updating things. But i did a length check yesterday after getting a flat iron at the Pynk Butterfly Salon in Columbia, SC. My hairstylist was Tameka and she was great and only trimmed off 1/2in. I know because i kept my eye on her the whole time.
I think i made it to BSL

Gorgeous! :)

ronie

Prettymetty I used ors nourishing conditioner. It was a complete fail. What does it say about my hair if products never give it slip? I've started to notice that majority of the products mentioned on the board for having great slip don't work for me at all. Am I missing something in my regimen? I know nothing about hair science like most of you so is this a smooth cuticle/porosity/moisture/ph problem I'm not aware of? Please tell me your favorite DCs with slip. I'm going to buy all of them.
PlainJane Silicone mix ( both the regular and bambu version). Nexus humectress. I don't know about any natural product with super slip. Although my 2 favorite moisture DCs are natural, I wouldn't recommend them for slip. So for the best of both world (hydration/moisture and slip), I often mix my silk dreams RCA with a table spoon of either one of these conditioners. Usually after a hardcore protein or after a deep clarifying/cheating shampoo.

Last edited:

bluenvy

I agree ronie.
moisturizing conditioners do no good in my hair if protein is needed. This is when I know my hair needs protein. After protein treatment my hair welcomes moisturizers back in.
My hair don't like all vo5 conditioners, I only use strawberries n cream moisture milks. And my hair loves it, I get the best slip with this one.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm working all weekend so I will wear a bun. Just dont know whether I will do it with my own hair or marley hair...

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Pretty! How did u get the curls so tight? Mine always look like loose waves

Thanks...I just started at the top of the wand barrel and worked my way down. Held it on there for 10 seconds and when I released I held the curl in place a few seconds before letting it fall.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My roots are getting really thick. I hope that it's new growth and not just reversion.

Oan I had a really good weekend (at work) so I think I will treat myself to some new headbands and hair accessories.

JosieLynn

I haven't updated in a while but it's been two weeks since I got a sew-in. I think I will need to do a shampoo wash sometime this week. I've already done 2 co-washes so far. I really do like this hair, i haven't had any major issues. I've worn it straight and curly and it blends perfectly both ways. I just know myself and i'm already starting to get the urge to change my hair again. But i am going to stick it out! lol I'm already a quarter of the way through this install, hoping to go for two months, MAYBE push it to 3 months if I can. I'm thinking might take it out and get it put back in before christmas. Plus whenever i get the urge to take it down I just look at how big it is and remind myself i'm doing this to get MY hair to that point so i think i can stay with it. I've only got 2-3 more inches until BSL so I'm hoping by the time I take this sew-in out I'll actually look like I have it now.

Attachments

• IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6221.JPG
    IMG_6221.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 59

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
yoli184 I dyed it the year before and I didn't do a good job of getting the roots only. Im blaming it on dh :lol: So my roots are dark brown (natural color), middle is medium brown and tips are light brown. Once the red faded I was left with those colors