APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay ladies the time has come to start our new APL/BSL 2014 Challenge. I normally don't start actual challenges but I was forced lol. I don't mind though bc we are all here for the same thing. As before lets continue to encourage one another. I know some of us do get frustrated with our hair but lets remember, it's just hair and we will get there! I just copied the rules from BeautyU2U 2012 thread. We can do this ladies!!! :yep:

The Guidelines

1. Join the challenge by clicking "thanks" on this post as well as send me a pm telling me you've thanked the post and I'll add you to the list.
  2. The challenge will officially begin on December 31, 2013 and run til December 31, 2014.
  3. The challenge is open to join at any time. No cut off date!
  4. Post pictures with updates, protective styling ideas, and anything else hair related that you'd like to share.
  5. STAY POSITIVE!! Remember to encourage each other and provide insightful feedback.
Join the Challenge
  1. Current hair length
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
  3. Goal Month
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
  6. Post a beginning picture
Scheduled Updates

Length checks only have to be twice per year so we are not obsessing over length but healthy hair in general. First pic should be your starting pic and then LC pic in June and another one in December. If you feel you have gained enough to post a sooner LC then please follow the check in dates below.

1. March 31st
  2. June 30th
  3. September 30th
  4. December 31st
Challengers

*CherryPie*
4EverDetermined
abbygirl
adaorae
Adiatasha
Adjie
Aggie
ajacks
ajargon02
alanaturelle
alex114
alicianicole
All4Tris
all_1_length
Anailuj
Angelbean
angie4ever
Anticipatience08
apple_natural
APrayer4Hair
aprils13
AyannaDivine
Babygrowth
back2relaxed
bestblackgirl
betteron2day
BlaqKitty
BlessedRN prof
bluenvy
briana87
bronxchick
bronxsoloist
Brooke
brownb83
BrownGirlLawyer
buddhas_mom
CafedeBelleza
caramelmocha
caribeandiva
CharlieEcho
charmtreese
chassiecrane
chellkai
CrysMelis
crimsonpeach
Cruzankink
cynthiapierfax
Daisy89
Danette1014
DarkJoy
DayZQTPie
dedicatedshopper
Deeshair
destinyseeker
earlybird
Evallusion
faithVA
FemmeCreole
Fotchygirl
Funmiloves

Last edited:

faithVA

Re: APL 2014 Challenge

You go ahead girl. I got your back.

Current hair length: Between EL and NL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural

Goal Month: December 2014

Current Reggie and styling choices:
I'm hosting the Twist, Braid, Bun challenge so I will be twisted up for a while. I alternate between flat twists and 2 strand twists.

Weekly
--Prepoo with an oil blend
--Shampoo with AIA Cleansing Pudding or Terresentials Mudwash
--Tea Rinse
--DC with AO Blue Chamomile, Island Naturals, Swimmer Conditioner
--Baggy for 15 minutes
--Do LC or LLC and style in twists
--Mist hair 1x to 2x daily with tea mix
--Oil crown daily and scalp massage
--Protein treatment 1x a month

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
When I hit SL I will shampoo/cowash/water rinse every 4 days.

Post a beginning picture: Picture to come

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
  1. Current hair length SL at nape, EL at crown, Lip length in front, and NL on the sides (by my chin)
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning Natural
  3. Goal Month I'm giving myself the full year of 2014 so by December 31, 2014
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices Cowash weekly with Wen or whatever cowash I have available. DC weekly with either HQ, SD, BASK, etc
ETA- I also pre poo with coconut oil or one of my KeraVada oils. And use my NJoy oil on my scalp at least 3-4 times per week. Hendigo every 2 months.
  1. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Definitely put the scissors down and only trim every 2 months, keep up with my moisture/protein balance and try to do more styles that will last me at least a week so I can keep my hands out of my head. Continue to wig it.
  2. Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• LENGTH CHECK (2).jpg
    LENGTH CHECK (2).jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Ravenhairedbeauty

1. Current hair length Collarbone stretched, shoulder length unstretched
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning Texlaxed
  3. Goal Month Dec 2014
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices Cowash in the morning air dry at night rinse or cowash again apply Njoy oil baggie and satin scarf
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I just began using Njoy's oil so I hope that helps
  6. Post a beginning picture I'll be back with a picture

Last edited:

APrayer4Hair

In....will update this post tomorrow

Current hair length
-front: bottom lip/chin
-sides: chin
-crown: NL-SL
-Nape: past shoulder length
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
-Natural
Goal Month
-June 7, 2014 my two year anniversary
Current Reggie and styling choices
-Lately I've been opting for twist outs but I still do wash and go puffs
- I may try topical and internal growth aids but mostly I'll keep my regimen the same
Post a beginning picture

image-2189377290.jpg

image-3944225831.jpg

image-2516213007.jpg

Last edited:

ronie

Yeahhhh! I am sure in. Will be back with info and pictures. I got you too; will keep this thread hot.

mshoneyfly

:yay!!!: @HairPleezeGrow, you did it!! 2014 APL, here we come!! :woot: :woot:

I am ready to join

Current hair length: grazing CB on sides, bangs past bottom lip, back is past shoulders; still working on full SL and thickening

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: transitioning to texturized

Goal Month: I would like to be full APL by December 2014

Current Reggie and styling choices: Prepoo with Hair Trigger and garlic oil with a ceramide oil on the length under DC; shampoo as needed; Scalp massages with JBCO and baggying 2-3 times week; DIY DCs and Ayurvedic powder treatments weekly; Henna every two-three weeks; monthly Rhassoul, Bentonite and Australian Pink Clay wash; cowash with VO5 as needed; texture softener every 12-16 weeks. I mostly wear my hair out in a straight style with pin curls at night for curls or Bantu knot outs; planning to get yarn braids in January 2014

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Embrace protective styling to avoid wearing my hair out so often; more roller sets instead of flat ironing. Hopefully these will lead to thicker hair

image-1515648386.jpg

Last edited:

TaylorT

Current hair length
Shoulder Length

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
4b/a Natural. Very Fine.

Goal Month
May 2014. My birthday to be exact.

Current Reggie and styling choices
Don't really have a set regimen.
I typically deep condition once or twice every two weeks and co-wash several times during the week.
My go to style is my good ole' puff when I wearing my hair natural/curly.....when straightened (which is has been more frequent lately), it's usually in a bun.

A lot more protective styling and moisturizing. I'm so happy to finally be at a length where I can really protective style. Even if it is just a bun!

Post a beginning picture
hair needs to be washed btw.....just measured today! 3 inches from APL.

Last edited:

Wenbev

I'm in!

Current hair length - Various lengths between ear, jaw and a little after the nape.

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning - Natural

Goal Month - December '14

Current Reggie and styling choices - Prepoo w/ ceramide rich oils, poo 1-2x/month, cowash 2-3x/week, protien dcs 1x/week, dc every time, tea rinses with every wash. Henna 2x/month minimum. Will elaborate more.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? - Not sure yet, I want to see how things go with the new changes I have made.
edited to add photos

Attachments

• picture067.jpg
    picture067.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 87
  • picture066.jpg
    picture066.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

IslandMummy

I'm in!!!! Current hair length: Shoulder Length

Goal Month: December, I want to be full APL, no questions

Current Reggie and styling choices: Currently kinky twists and then a week of rest in wigs for the winter. Wash with my CON red bottle, Silicon Mix w/ Kanechom as a deep conditioner

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Lots more PSing, no wearing my hair out more than once or twice in the winter.

Post a beginning picture: Will add in a miute

Attachments

• image-1594849995.jpg
    image-1594849995.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image-574157044.jpg
    image-574157044.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

pearlific1

Hi Ladies!

I'm in the APL 2013 challenge but since I trimmed a lot this year (and will trim more by Dec), I won't be able to claim APL until next year.

Current hair length: 1.5" from APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Texlaxed
Goal Month: Full APL by May
Current Reggie and styling choices: KISS; Co wash 2x/wk; shampoo & light protein weekly; deep protein treatment every 8 weeks; DC weekly; PS daily
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Only trimming when needed.

Post a beginning picture:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Well ladies today is a lazy day for me. I took my wig off Saturday and washed. Y hair yesterday. Surprising enough my beehive is still in tact. I applied my NJoy oil and KeraVada brahmi raspberry vanilla to my scalp last night. I just have a scarf around my head today....and probably tomorrow and Wednesday lol....I'm lazy this week.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

faithVA

HairPleezeGrow, it looks like we will have quite a few early graduates. I see some ladies that will be APL by the end of the 1st quarter :yep: I think we will have a good representation of the varying lengths in here.

faithVA

For the month of October, I am going to try to keep my hair in flat twists until my rollerset at the end of the month. That keeps my ends tucked in and hopefully my hands out of my hair. If I can find enough styles on pinterest, I may try to keep going through December. I really only need 4 good ones and just do them every 4 weeks. I will capture them in my blog so I can recycle. I also need to look through my old photos and see what styles I wore 2 years ago. If I have a plan maybe it will make wash day flow a little easier.

naija24

Join the Challenge
[*]Current hair length
[*]Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
[*]Goal Month
[*]Current Reggie and styling choices
[*]What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
[*]Post a beginning picture

Neck length
Relaxed
October 2014
Low manipulation
Relaxers only 3x a year (january 2014, may 2014, september 2014), bunning, heat 2x a month, MS twice daily, workouts 3x week, 10,000mg biotin daily,trims twice a year,
Ill post a pic when I get home

Attachments

• Snapshot_20130930_3.JPG
    Snapshot_20130930_3.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Snapshot_20130930.JPG
    Snapshot_20130930.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Funmiloves

Count me in, my hair is in crochet braids ar the moment, but will post 'official' starting lenght next month.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•

Count me in!!
The 2013 challenge was divine.
My crown is part of the slow crew, so I hope to be full APL by 04.14.14.

Current hair length: Crown: 2 inches from APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Texlaxed
Goal Month: Full APL by April 14'
Current Reggie and styling choices: Cowash M-Fri. Sun: shampoo and DC. Protein treatment wks 5, 10 & 15 post texlax. Texlax touchup week 16 or later. For 2014 I am planning to only touch up 1x a season. Bun or wig daily. PS all the way to WL.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? NO Bandwagon/ product jumping. Sticking to what works.

Starting Pic:

Shavonn

Current hair length: past my shoulders

Hair status: Relaxed but retreating from relaxers. I won't say transitioning because I don't plan on cutting it off.

Goal Month: August 2014

Current Reggie: Aphogee treatments, Brazilian blowouts, deep conditioning, satin wraps, buns

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Diet, more protective styles, research and try new products. I struggle with oils, lotions, etc because my scalp is super sensitive and it causes a ton of itching 3-5 days after I use some so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Post a beginning picture

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Took my beehive down. It was coming down in the back when I was adding moisture to it last night. It was so tangled so this seems to not be the style for under my wigs. I may have to just keep my hair in twists under there.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Yes I'm in.

I was thinking of quitting LHCF at the end of my subscruiption . But i dont think i can! you ladies and your hair a like a drug. :)

Post pics closer to the date we begin. It doesn't seem so far fetched this year. the ends of my hair are going to be getting to know my armpit real soon

Stormy

Count me in too and thank you for the tag! Ok here's my info:

Current hair length: CL/SL

Goal Month: I 'm going to say July 2014. It was sooner, but since I think I may be a slow grower I'm giving it more time to be safe.

Current Reggie and styling choices: Right now, I'm on a personal no heat challenge and wearing two stranded twists. This is what I do:

I wear them for 6-8 weeks at a time
Take down and do a deep conditioning, shampoo, air dry in rollers or big twists
Wear a bun or some kind of stretched style for no longer than a week
Shampoo, condition then retwist and start the process all over again
I do mini trims in between, but only if necessary

Not using heat is what I'm changing. I also plan to try taking a multivitamin and I may try some of that Bamboo tea to get the silica that I've been reading about. I'm so bad with vitamins, but I'm going to try. Just to see if it makes a difference.

Post a beginning picture: See Below

Attachments

• Mini Ponytail Aug. '13.jpg
    Mini Ponytail Aug. '13.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

prettybyrd

Thanks so much for the tag! I need this challenge to keep me on track for WL 2015! I always seem to either forget about my challenges or make changes to my hair before the challenge is over.

Current hair length - Chin length in front/NL at nape

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning - Natural

Goal Month - August

Current Reggie and styling choices -
Pre-poo - coconut oil, I intend to mix up an herbal blend like this one on YT once I purchase the herbs and oil

Cleanse - different poo bars: Anita Grant Babassu and Amla, Anita Grant Peppermint Babassu, Henna Sooq Cocoveda bar

Condition - Tresseme Naturals (I have one more bottle of the old formula before I make the switch to one that I make myself or go back to Oyin Honey Hemp)

Seal/scalp treat - Qhemet Biologics Nourishing Amla Pomade, JBCO for edges

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? - Well, I'm doing low manipulation styles right now. However, this winter I'm moving to the Midwest, so I might add some PS to the mix if the weather proves to be too harsh on my hair.

Post a beginning picture - I will post my beginning pic in December after my trim when I straighten my hair.